Restless Leg Syndrome: Medical Marijuana Patients' Say It Works

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
There may be 10 million RLS patients in the U.S. This will be good news to them. I was one of the first doctors to sign up patients for Oregon’s medical marijuana permits. I had patients number 13 and 14.

Through the five years I was able to work before the Oregon Board of Medical Examiners revoked my license, I had between 4 and 6 thousand patients. I never did count them because I saw patients in at least twenty places from the coast to Bend and Klamath Falls in Eastern Oregon.

Why I had to travel all over the state is not a mystery. Other doctors were afraid of their own shadows and big brother to do this. However, eventually 2,200 doctors did shake off their paranoia and finally joined the club. Hoorah.

The original medical marijuana bill in California in 1998 required the following disease entities to get a “permit”: cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, and arthritis.

This was a rather loose list but it did give the doctor the option of recommending it for “any other illness for which marijuana provides relief.” This gave California doctors wide latitude for issuing permits.

Dr. Tod Mikiyuria found after interviewing and/or reviewing about 30,000 patient charts that marijuana was effective for about 200 separate medical entities.

It is difficult for most physicians to believe it could be effective for such a wide variety of conditions, and I as a Professor of Pharmacology took in all this with a grain of salt till I started seeing affected patients. It was one surprise after another. I got over the idea that the patients might be faking it to get a permit because it cost about $150 dollars to go through my clinics and the state charged $100 dollars for the permit. Would the patients fake it if it still cost $250 dollars? I doubt it.

When the first patient came in with “restless leg syndrome” I was bemused for a while. What’s going on here, I said to myself.

I knew that quadriplegics, paraplegics, multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy patients had legs that jumped around and marijuana gave them relief. All these seemed to be treated poorly with valium-like drugs and the doses were high enough to be strongly sedative and extremely addicting. It didn’t take many doctor “smarts” to figure out if the restless leg patient said marijuana works, it must be so.

According to T.V. news programs, about 10 million patients have restless legs. Marijuana is a nice, safe, effective medicine. The big problem is that only in eleven states can the patients get a permit to use marijuana legally.

DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION FOR DR. LEVEQUE? Email: newsroom@salem-news.com

News Hawk- User https://www.420magazine.com
Source: Salem-News.com
Author: Dr. Phil Leveque
Copyright: Salem-News.com
Website: Restless Leg Syndrome: Medical Marijuana Patients Say it Works

perhaps the big news if usa gets an openminded president wiil be that pot will be the wonder cure of 2010 like asprin was 100 plus years ago

RLS patient right here. No legal lisenses or prescriptions i can get in this state! Thank you, Uncle.
Sam, that is...

It works for my RLS. I just wish the names of the strains were consistent so I knew what to get each time. I also suffer from pain associated with lower back surgery, cannibis also helps that. It is also illegal in my state.

I'm a medical use patient, I was taking 180 norco a month for lower back pain and could only imagine what that was doing to my liver after 5 years. I couldn't use weed for years because of my work (sensitive mission aircraft support), but it was ok to be on the pills. The pain never goes away( misdiagnosed in military with back broken in two places 35 years ago), but the weed takes my mind off it and its bearable. I'm 100 % disabled but now have a quality of life I can deal with. Thanks for having the courage to speak the truth, many people who've never found any acceptable pain relief methods can know that there's hope with marijuana.

Back
Top Bottom