Restore Medical Marijuana To Montana Patients

Robert Celt

In November 2004, nearly 62 percent of Montanans thought medical marijuana was a good idea for Montana. In 2005, the Montana Legislature had a full plate and failed to establish a framework for the industry to be regulated. In 2007, again the Legislature had other, bigger fish to fry. Yes, even in 2009 they never got around to it. Finally, in 2011, after much public outcry and an industry that had grown to nearly 30,000 patients, the Legislature tackled the task of developing regulations that would rein in the unbridled expansion.

Unfortunately for Sen. Jeff Essmann, he drew the short straw and it was his bill, Senate Bill 423, that finally, without then-Gov. Brian Schweitzer's signature, became law. It was a grueling session and the House majority had no taste for medical marijuana. They had their own idea and that was full repeal of the citizen-approved initiative. They would not even take up Essmann's bill until the Senate put the House repeal bill on the governor's desk. The Senate did and Schweitzer promptly vetoed it. Actually, Essmann's SB 423, before the House started amending it, was a pretty good start toward a reasonable framework for regulating the industry.

As a conservative, and my voting record speaks for itself, it pains me to have to call out my fellow GOP, but what the heck were you thinking? I mean, aside from the desperation of not having another bill and SB 423 being the last bill heard before the gavel went down? When you argue against a $15 minimum wage as un-American and anti-free market then vote for an arbitrary three-patient/provider restriction, that is common core politics. The constitutionality of it is sketchy at best.

Enough of the blame game; my sincere apologies but let's look at the facts. SB 423 missed its mark and continues in the courts. It has reduced the patients from nearly 30,000 in 2011 to 13,640 as of January 2016. The average patient is 47 and some are Montana veterans thanks to U.S. Sen. Steve Daines and his amendment providing veterans access to medical marijuana without risk of losing their benefits. Currently, 6,165 of the patients are between 50 and 100, with 10 over 90 years young. Crime is down and incarcerations are up but not due to medical marijuana; meth and big pharma meds like Oxycontin are the real culprits and that's where I'd suggest we redirect our energy and our resources.

Currently, 23 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana and 18 more, including the very recent passage by Utah, have legalized CBD oil. The Food and Druge Administration has approved specific medical uses and continues to review applications as research is submitted. In 2015, S 683 was introduced in Congress to remove marijuana from the list of Class I drugs. Its proven medicinal value exempts it from the class with heroin, LSD and cocaine. Congress needs to pass S 683.

So while the Supreme Court weighs the motion for reconsideration and a stay until the 2017 Legislature can have another look at SB 423, nearly 10,000 Montana patients wonder where will they continue to get their medication.

This isn't about recreational marijuana and I am not for that or a Colorado "free the weed" program. But in 2004, Montanans, by 62 percent, thought medical marijuana was a good idea. The Department of Public Health and Human Services program administrator says it is working. Patients are getting an affordable prescription alternative, and one they can live with while not destroying their kidneys and liver. Montanans were right: it was the right idea in 2004 and the facts show it still is 12 years later. Call your legislators and candidates and tell them "no patients left behind." It's just not how we roll in Montana, just ask a vet.

Jar_of_Bud1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Restore Medical Marijuana To Montana Patients
Author: Daniel Fuchs
Photo Credit: Thom Bridge

Back
Top Bottom