RetiredRN Gorilla Glue, Northern Lights 2021 First Time Grower

just put it all in a hessian bag and throw rope over the biggest tree in your yard pull it up and let it dry of natural causes up nice and high in a bushy tree theirs one for ya lol,AND it works too btw

old school outdoor grows would dry standing in the plot. they'd literally, harvest, bale and transport. late september to mid october. used to be amazed how good it was done that way.

no it doesn't. you just bottle it up in the the tent or grow space.
when done drying you can run the extractor for an hour two and it'll clear any residual odour out.

yes precisely

you got it squirreled up. i said don't run a humidifier, which will add humidity, not decrease it.
and yes moisture helps cause bud rot.

it depends on your overall conditions and what your ambient rh percentage is. i normally wouldn't run ac. ac works by drying the air, reducing rh.

i was answering in response to the conditions @RetiredRN is working with. i am unfamiliar with your set of conditions which would differ probably, and that would alter how i would approach it.
I understand. I jumped in cuz RN and I are at the same level of experience pretty much and are soon to both be in the same boat. We're sort of learning this at the same time, and I'm pretty sure it's okay with RN. Team learning. Lol. So I am on the same page with you I *think.* Could you please tell me if I understand the below correctly?
- I wouldn't run a humidifier. That's obviously a mistake to me, but I know nothing. Why in the world would I want to ADD moisture to the drying space? I guess if I they were not dense buds and I wanted them to take as long as possible to dry? I'm going with the "my buds will be dense" hope/theory...and if that is so, my logic says a humidifier is the LAST thing I need in the room. Dense buds are going to take a while to dry and there's lots of moisture in them. Yes? That sure was the case in my first grow. Dense buds that had a lot of moisture in them.
- I run a 5000 btu AC unit (a standard window AC unit) into the tent via 8" flexible ducting that's insulated and I mold/bend the round part of the ducting to fit the space where the AC blows out of the unit, which is the long rectangle shaped space where the AC output vents are, then seal it well, with an 405 cfm intake fan pulling the AC (or plain fan air) into the tent. That's my intake - I either use the AC or if I don't need it that day just the fan setting on the AC unit. It works extremely well. I seal all the other ports and never use the vents. 6" filter and 6" AC Infinity 8 speed exhaust fan. I grow in a garage in a state where it gets hot in the day, but I can leave the door to the house open and make the ambient temp in the garage around 80 degrees, as it's a one car garage with no windows and it just becomes another room of the house when I do that. 80 degrees ambient temperature is no problem. So for drying, in both my tents, (same setup in both tents, both 5x5) I can easily maintain an rh range from around 45% to 80% or pretty much anywhere in between, (that's without even trying my new dehumidifier yet, I may be able to get it lower than 45% with that in play, I hope so considering I got it for budding and it's SUPPOSED to be able to) and I can maintain a max low temperature of 63 degrees (at night) and about 68 degrees (during the hottest part of the day) using the AC on it's highest setting. I have a humidifier and I have the new dehumidifier and as many fans as anyone ever would need. I have enough ways to alter the environment in the tent using all my tricks (open the garage door a little, the house door with garage door closed, fan controls, AC controls, add humidity, subtract humidity, etc.) that I'm wondering what OPTIMUM drying conditions are, if they exist, and what would they be assuming lots of dense buds, maybe a two pound final dry weight sized harvest. That's what I expect to pull from the photo grow. Is there a "best" temp and humidity and scenario in there somewhere? Cuz I guess what I'm saying is that if such a thing exists, I am *probably* in a position with my infrastructure to create those conditions, I just don't know what they are. There's a ton of conflicting information on this topic on line and many different methods you hear about in the journals. But the AC unit surprisingly does not lower the rh in either tent below 45% ever. Maybe cuz it's usually drawing more humid outside air as that's the air that hits it's intake most of the time is my guess. Even the AC inside the house maintains the rh inside the house at around 55%, and often my AC into the tent is drawing THAT air, so it doesn't remove much more moisture than that. So is that enough about my deal for you to offer an opinion or no? If not, maybe I could get you to check out my journal? It's fairly detailed. I (and RN I'm sure, since it's RN's post and they didn't punch me yet, lol) appreciate your help.

Thank you very much!

Hey @RetiredRN
Hope alls well with the world.
My humidity in the tent runs in the 50% range usually. That’s with a fan pulling in and a big ass exhaust going out. When I was trying to get the temp up st night,a couple of months ago. I tried turning the exhaust off and my humidity went up to 80%. That was a no go for me as I’d had a little bud rot before.
Your the other way around and you want more humidity. have you tried the old ,sitting a bucket of water or 2 in the tent,with a towel or 2 hanging out over the top acting as a wick?
Y never know?
Peace an buds to ya
that is a fantastic idea bro.it really is.
They say you learn something new every day,well thats my day done
im gunna have a hot one....:bongrip:

Ha.. fountain of knowledge here... anything else you want to know? I can tie shoelaces an everything.:)
im hearing you bro however if i was to go back 35 years or a tad more i lived in a little town in Australia called Nimbin.
Now nimbin was like #THE# place to get your weed need.
i saw that much weed at that time dried out in a few ways,ill name them
1 Microwave
2 Between 2 peices of news paper
3 A paper bag
4 up a tree
5 With a hair dryer in a stocking
6 under the grill
and the list actually does go on but I'm not gunna bother
Anyway the funny thing is 35 years on ive learnt better ways to dry out weed so you maximise the punch
and seriously does it really matter because me personally i wanna hear what it smoked like "honestly of course"
What it smokes like will probably play a big part in how a grower applies it to the next grow,no matter whether its a bad result or a good one,seriously isnt that what its all about,ive grown shit and now i get better every time.
cheers

im hearing you bro however if i was to go back 35 years or a tad more i lived in a little town in Australia called Nimbin.
Now nimbin was like #THE# place to get your weed need.
i saw that much weed at that time dried out in a few ways,ill name them
1 Microwave
2 Between 2 peices of news paper
3 A paper bag
4 up a tree
5 With a hair dryer in a stocking
6 under the grill
and the list actually does go on but I'm not gunna bother
Anyway the funny thing is 35 years on ive learnt better ways to dry out weed so you maximise the punch
and seriously does it really matter because me personally i wanna hear what it smoked like "honestly of course"
What it smokes like will probably play a big part in how a grower applies it to the next grow,no matter whether its a bad result or a good one,seriously isnt that what its all about,ive grown shit and now i get better every time.
cheers
let me add also,what i just said was in no way being a smart arse just throwing my 2 bobs worth in,thats how us ossies role :bongrip:i just like rippin bongs from what i just grew as you do i guess:bongrip:

I don't understand how why you want to keep the exhaust fan on if controlling the odor is a goal. Turn off the exhaust and seal the tent. Keep the circulation fans on though. No smell, no loss of humidity.

And I think 45% is way too low for drying after the first 24 hours.
Ok, let me see if I can further explain things so that you can understand. The humidifier is on outside of the small grow tent that I’m trying to dry in. If I shut the extraction fan off and seal the tent up the humidity cannot get in because the humidifier is located outside the tent and there is no room in the tent for it without it blowing directly on and up into my butts. Not only that but then stale air just circulates around in the tent with nowhere to go which drives up my inside the tent temperature.

you don't. at least not really. you can hang them in area close to the extraction fan, but putting them in the same tent with it going will ruin up your bud but good. it''ll lose a lot of taste, and may retain more chlorophyll.

adding a humidifier will also promote bud rot like crazy when drying.

if you have low rh, bottle them up in the tent, and let them hang with the fan off. the rh will rise from the plants expiring moisture as they dry. keep an rh meter in the tent and monitor it. when the rh reaches the ambient rh in the rest of the house you'll be done.

it will be a shorter hang. i've done hangs under 20% rh as short as three days. don't worry about having to hang 7 days or whatever the bro science says. that myth was not built for all conditions.

the trick is to make sure they hit the jars while they still have 60% or so left in them. add 62% boveda packs and burp as normal. the cure in the jars is what will make or break you.

with low rh don't worry about the odour. they aren't gonna hang long enough to make a big stink lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

edit : it also helps to hang the plant whole. you don't have to trim it out to individual branches, just strip the fans and hang.
Ok, I’m feeling better about this situation. I already have the hygrometers and the humidity packs at 62% for my jars. Thankyou!

That's the second experienced person to say to not use the extraction fan. How come? The filter controls the odor if the fan is not running? Didn't know that. Also I guess the exhaust fan pulls too much moisture from the buds and they dry too quickly and lose quality? Why would taking the moisture out too quickly cause bud rot? Thought bud rot was from too much moisture? It is not necessary to have negative pressure in the tent in order to dry your weed if you have AC going into the tent? (sorry to ask a bunch of questions in your post RN, hoping we can both learn here cuz obviously you shouldn't listen to me. As I tried to mention may be the case. Lol)
Its ok. I gather information from as many people as I can get and then I compare and analyze it and hopefully my brain spits out a plan. In my mind if I don’t run the extraction fan , which vents to the outside, then the smell will crawl back out the intake vent of my tent , right? Or no. I’m understanding that bud rot happens when temps are too high and circulation is not enough. Humidity also plays a role in there somewhere. Ugh

If I shut the extraction fan off and seal the tent up the humidity cannot get in
As bluter said, the plant itself will drive up the RH in the tent so the humidifier might be completely unnecessary.
stale air just circulates around in the tent with nowhere to go which drives up my inside the tent temperature.
Stale air doesn't increase temperatures, so I'm not sure I understand this. The tent will be the ambient temperature of the room it's in if there's nothing inside heating it up.

Hey @RetiredRN
Hope alls well with the world.
My humidity in the tent runs in the 50% range usually. That’s with a fan pulling in and a big ass exhaust going out. When I was trying to get the temp up st night,a couple of months ago. I tried turning the exhaust off and my humidity went up to 80%. That was a no go for me as I’d had a little bud rot before.
Your the other way around and you want more humidity. have you tried the old ,sitting a bucket of water or 2 in the tent,with a towel or 2 hanging out over the top acting as a wick?
Y never know?
Peace an buds to ya
Yessssss! Thats an awesome idea about the bucket with the wet towel! I’m heading there now with that set up. I’ll let you know what happens.

Ha.. fountain of knowledge here... anything else you want to know? I can tie shoelaces an everything.:)
You know, tieing shoe laces and telling time were my two real struggles growing up.

As bluter said, the plant itself will drive up the RH in the tent so the humidifier might be completely unnecessary.

Stale air doesn't increase temperatures, so I'm not sure I understand this. The tent will be the ambient temperature of the room it's in if there's nothing inside heating it up.
Ok, I understand it now. Sorry, this is definitely a learning experience for me.

Ok, I understand it now. Sorry, this is definitely a learning experience for me.
Ahoy There,
Thought I would drop in and having read your last post I must say you have nothing to be sorry about. Your questions will never be a reason here for sorrow. We all were where you are at some point in time. The folks who asked the most questions probably became productive gardeners sooner than those who keep quiet.

Keep up the journal. It reinforces memory when we write about our runs. :hookah:

I understand. I jumped in cuz RN and I are at the same level of experience pretty much and are soon to both be in the same boat. We're sort of learning this at the same time, and I'm pretty sure it's okay with RN. Team learning. Lol. So I am on the same page with you I *think.* Could you please tell me if I understand the below correctly?
- I wouldn't run a humidifier. That's obviously a mistake to me, but I know nothing. Why in the world would I want to ADD moisture to the drying space? I guess if I they were not dense buds and I wanted them to take as long as possible to dry? I'm going with the "my buds will be dense" hope/theory...and if that is so, my logic says a humidifier is the LAST thing I need in the room. Dense buds are going to take a while to dry and there's lots of moisture in them. Yes? That sure was the case in my first grow. Dense buds that had a lot of moisture in them.
- I run a 5000 btu AC unit (a standard window AC unit) into the tent via 8" flexible ducting that's insulated and I mold/bend the round part of the ducting to fit the space where the AC blows out of the unit, which is the long rectangle shaped space where the AC output vents are, then seal it well, with an 405 cfm intake fan pulling the AC (or plain fan air) into the tent. That's my intake - I either use the AC or if I don't need it that day just the fan setting on the AC unit. It works extremely well. I seal all the other ports and never use the vents. 6" filter and 6" AC Infinity 8 speed exhaust fan. I grow in a garage in a state where it gets hot in the day, but I can leave the door to the house open and make the ambient temp in the garage around 80 degrees, as it's a one car garage with no windows and it just becomes another room of the house when I do that. 80 degrees ambient temperature is no problem. So for drying, in both my tents, (same setup in both tents, both 5x5) I can easily maintain an rh range from around 45% to 80% or pretty much anywhere in between, (that's without even trying my new dehumidifier yet, I may be able to get it lower than 45% with that in play, I hope so considering I got it for budding and it's SUPPOSED to be able to) and I can maintain a max low temperature of 63 degrees (at night) and about 68 degrees (during the hottest part of the day) using the AC on it's highest setting. I have a humidifier and I have the new dehumidifier and as many fans as anyone ever would need. I have enough ways to alter the environment in the tent using all my tricks (open the garage door a little, the house door with garage door closed, fan controls, AC controls, add humidity, subtract humidity, etc.) that I'm wondering what OPTIMUM drying conditions are, if they exist, and what would they be assuming lots of dense buds, maybe a two pound final dry weight sized harvest. That's what I expect to pull from the photo grow. Is there a "best" temp and humidity and scenario in there somewhere? Cuz I guess what I'm saying is that if such a thing exists, I am *probably* in a position with my infrastructure to create those conditions, I just don't know what they are. There's a ton of conflicting information on this topic on line and many different methods you hear about in the journals. But the AC unit surprisingly does not lower the rh in either tent below 45% ever. Maybe cuz it's usually drawing more humid outside air as that's the air that hits it's intake most of the time is my guess. Even the AC inside the house maintains the rh inside the house at around 55%, and often my AC into the tent is drawing THAT air, so it doesn't remove much more moisture than that. So is that enough about my deal for you to offer an opinion or no? If not, maybe I could get you to check out my journal? It's fairly detailed. I (and RN I'm sure, since it's RN's post and they didn't punch me yet, lol) appreciate your help.

Thank you very much!

omigosh i can't unpack that. i have adhd and need white space.

Why are my leaves like this

CB6EF8D3-1EF8-4E32-AFCA-22E38C596A45.jpeg

8342570E-50FE-4753-AFE7-2A477B2FDCF1.jpeg

Why are my leaves like this

CB6EF8D3-1EF8-4E32-AFCA-22E38C596A45.jpeg

8342570E-50FE-4753-AFE7-2A477B2FDCF1.jpeg
I'm no expert by a mile, but I research a ton and ask a ton of questions. I know just enough to know that ONE possibility when you get weird yellowing is nitrogen deficiency. I got this on my first grow when I wasn't giving my plants any veg nutes yet and they had kind of outgrown their pots before transplant. They had used all the nitrogen in the soil and needed more and weren't getting it. The other mistake I made in my first grow was overwatering, and that gave me a few leaves that looked like this too. So I'm not saying I'm right by any means, but you might want to check out some research on nitrogen deficiency or overwatering and what those signs look like? Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom