Beautiful start! Have you had Somango? I have seeds and think it might be a flavor bomb but haven't yet gave one a go.
Thank you StoneOtter! Actually I have never tried any of these strains. I started a grow before that had a Somango, but had to cull due to a move. I do like it's genetic makeup, and really can't wait for all of these.

So...today was a big day for the seedlings. They moved into their new home.

The #ViparSpectra P4000 light is sitting 35 inches away from the canopy at roughly 40% power, giving each seedling roughly 7k lux. The guide that @ViparSpectra includes had perfect instructions on height placement for the seedlings (as verified by Lux meter).

Day 1

Tent temp: 21C (being raised as I type)
Tent RH%: ~61%
Previous PPM: : 0
Current PPM: 258 PPM
Adjusted PPM to: 258 PPM
PH: 5.9
Res temp: 19.3C
Water level: n/a

Reservoir has roughly 60L in it. I started with fresh RO water, added 200 PPM worth of cal mag. Then I added 30 PPM of FloraNova Grow. 3ml of myco chum (just enough to help Kickstart the herd). 15 ML of Orca. 15ML of hydroguard. Ph down to 5.9.

The aim is to let the PH rise to roughly 6.5 naturally, then reset it to 5.8
This allows the plants to absorb nutrients at optimal hydro ph levels.
As the solution gets sprayed over the hydroton it picks up oxygen as it drips pebble to pebble. The beneficial bacteria in it will help the roots, and prevent root rot (hopefully) while promoting vigorous root growth.

Once the solution hits the bottom of the bucket, it drains into a box containing a pump with a float and returns it to the reservoir.
The main water pump is on a timer, 20 min on, 2.5 hours off.
I have a camera inside the tent mounted to a fan that oscillates, and ill use this to keep a close eye on them. The next few days are crucial.

Very nice setup! I've been checking out the TBC site every now and again since you mentioned that you were going with their products. It's great to see how the pieces fit together and the whole setup looks well thought out. Good stuff.

Re. seedlings in the res - great idea! I used a germination tent for my GG autos and was thinking "Why am I using this dinky little setup instead of using the res?" I just ordered from Gelato autos (I think I'm a convert) so I'll be watching to see how it's done.

The #ViparSpectra P4000 light is sitting 35 inches away from the canopy at roughly 40% power, giving each seedling roughly 7k lux. The guide that @ViparSpectra includes had perfect instructions on height placement for the seedlings (as verified by Lux meter).

Day 1

Reservoir has roughly 60L in it. I started with fresh RO water, added 200 PPM worth of cal mag. Then I added 30 PPM of FloraNova Grow. 3ml of myco chum (just enough to help Kickstart the herd). 15 ML of Orca. 15ML of hydroguard. Ph down to 5.9.

As the solution gets sprayed over the hydroton it picks up oxygen as it drips pebble to pebble. The beneficial bacteria in it will help the roots, and prevent root rot (hopefully) while promoting vigorous root growth.

Once the solution hits the bottom of the bucket, it drains into a box containing a pump with a float and returns it to the reservoir.
I have a camera inside the tent mounted to a fan that oscillates, and ill use this to keep a close eye on them. The next few days are crucial.

Hi mate.
Just got to say, im well impressed by your knowledge and set up.
And the baby's look soooo cute in their big stoney homes :cheesygrinsmiley:

I really don't know how you lot achieve to dial in all those perameters and variables. Im struggling to get a healthy plant with the simplest method..
It is commendable mate.. should be proud of yourself:thumb:

Very nice setup! I've been checking out the TBC site every now and again since you mentioned that you were going with their products. It's great to see how the pieces fit together and the whole setup looks well thought out. Good stuff.

Re. seedlings in the res - great idea! I used a germination tent for my GG autos and was thinking "Why am I using this dinky little setup instead of using the res?" I just ordered from Gelato autos (I think I'm a convert) so I'll be watching to see how it's done.
Thanks Delps! If I remember later I'll snap a few photos of the reservoir setup. It's outside the tent and gets pumped into the buckets via sprayers, then back out, returning to the reservoir. I want to get them into the tent, and in their final containers as soon as I think they can handle it. It's very easy at this point to damage their roots. And truth is, it's actually easier to dial in a larger reservoir then a smaller one. Gelato autos and GSC autos are on my someday list!
Hi mate.
Just got to say, im well impressed by your knowledge and set up.
And the baby's look soooo cute in their big stoney homes :cheesygrinsmiley:

I really don't know how you lot achieve to dial in all those perameters and variables. Im struggling to get a healthy plant with the simplest method..
It is commendable mate.. should be proud of yourself:thumb:
Hey thanks Squiggle! I use automation as much as possible to keep certain things dialed in (environment). All my pumps are setup and controlled via an app on my phone, using a smart power bar. Here's how I set it up a while ago, now I just tweak the program here and there as needed. The less hands on I do, the less chances of messing up or forgetting something.

Day 1

Hey brother I hope all is good.
The setup is looking mint and those little ladies r nestled in waiting to explode.
Start smoking or making concentrate to free up some room in that fridge lol
Sorry if I missed this somewhere (lots going on)but how much was the last harvest dry ?
Play safe and enjoy everyone

Few quick questions Rexer do you wash and use your clay pebbles over and over?
I ask because im getting way to old to keep dragging bags of coco around.
DWC was not for me even when dailed in felt like i could never rest and was always testing res etc.
Now after 6 years in coco i feel the need for a change.
Also how much more water do you use vs coco IF you have ever used coco.
I found my water bill going up in DWC not really looking to put that red flag up again being in the UK.

Hey brother I hope all is good.
The setup is looking mint and those little ladies r nestled in waiting to explode.
Start smoking or making concentrate to free up some room in that fridge lol
Sorry if I missed this somewhere (lots going on)but how much was the last harvest dry ?
Play safe and enjoy everyone
Hey KC, things are going good thank you. How you been holding out brother?

Hopefully they transition nicely into their new home. I'll be going out shortly to check up on them.

My last grow (in a different journal, using a different light) I've been smoking now since the 1st week into the cure. Just couldn't bring myself to buy any from an LP while sitting on some...it also helped that I staggered the harvests. I had 112g, 221g, and 243g dried and cured...I never bother weighing when 1st cut, for me the only number that matters is how much I've got dried and cured (and I'm lazy, I don't want to weigh it twice). I've so far been making lots of edibles out of the trim, and collecting kief in my buddies box (I've got probably ~20g? of kief). Love that Buddies Box.

Few quick questions Rexer do you wash and use your clay pebbles over and over?
I ask because im getting way to old to keep dragging bags of coco around.
DWC was not for me even when dailed in felt like i could never rest and was always testing res etc.
Now after 6 years in coco i feel the need for a change.
Also how much more water do you use vs coco IF you have ever used coco.
I found my water bill going up in DWC not really looking to put that red flag up again being in the UK.

Hey Skunsa! Yes sir, the hydroton is reusable. It is a serious pain to clean, especially in large volumes. Some just ditch it, but I'm cheap and somewhat environmentally conscious so I reuse mine. I'll devise a better system long term, but for now I used a hose and colander to remove any plant materials. Then it spent 3 days in the system with the pump running 24/7 and a strong dose of H202 to disinfect. Then I added my beneficial microbes. All in all the system with 3 buckets uses roughly 100L of hydroton. Im also on a well in an area with plenty of water (i use an RO). Unfortunately I've never tried coco.

Lmao
for me the only number that matters is how much I've got dried and cured (and I'm lazy, I don't want to weigh it twice). I've so far been making lots of edibles out of the trim, and collecting kief in my buddies box (I've got probably ~20g? of kief). Love that Buddies Box.
I honestly only weigh probably every third harvest or so just to make sure I’m at par because of my own laziness

Keep those numbers in mind and try to smash them out of the park.

It would have been nice to run the same stains in the same system by the same hand to really see how that new light preforms.
Kinda hard to tell with different stains in the mix however verity is the spice of life.

play safe and enjoy everyone

So now that things are in place, and the system is functioning, I'd say it's around time for a quick call out. I've got a terrible memory, so please don't think anything of it if I forgot to add your name, laugh instead. Some of you have followed previous grows, some I've spoken with on the forum, all are welcome, but none need worry about following along if they're maxed out on journals, or they're just not interested. No hard feelings 420 growmies;)

@Dusty Kiefers
@MrSauga
@Modest Grower
@copperrein
@DeeBoy
@NuttyProfessor
@Stunger
@Furcifer
@Cola Monster
@InTheShed
@Fredwak
@Michael Hunt
@Jon
@Buds Buddy
@BeezLuiz
@Joshualuck
@cr8grow
@Azimuth
@Bill284
@Stormblessed
@MGD420
@Light Addict
@Weaselcracker
@dick23rk
@DutchinAB
@Carcass

I'm in, thanks for the tag Rexer! And I already have questions. :)

Is there a reason for the hydroton starting so low in the buckets rather than filling it almost to the top?

Is it really possible for the light to cover a 4x4 flowering area when 24" above the canopy? It's only 11" wide. I'm looking forward to see what your lux meter shows at the corners of the 5x5 when you get it down to the 28" they recommend for veg.

:thanks:

Thanks for the shout-out, Rexer! A very nice setup you have there - should be fun to watch.

Day 1

I feel like I’m doing it the caveman way now…Fancy!:passitleft:

Today's pictures of the little ones in their new home. The good news is they seemed to like their new home, or should I say they survived their first night in it at minimum.

(I'll top up with a scoop of hydroton to cover the plug soon as I think of it).

I'm in, thanks for the tag Rexer! And I already have questions. :)
Hey Shed, thank you and I'm happy to answer any question best I can.
Is there a reason for the hydroton starting so low in the buckets rather than filling it almost to the top?
Good catch, and great question! The higher the bucket get filled, the less towards the center the hydroton gets sprayed. Also if I fill it up really high, it makes a mess when removing the inserts for the buckets. Then there’s the last reason, i retained about 98% of my hydroton and I'd like to try and hold out one or two more grows prior to buying more (budgeting). The 2% ends up in the compost that we've recently started, as that bit of hydroton was so tangled it wasnt worth the extra time to clean.
Also, this being my 2nd grow with this system, I'm still working things out. Though when looking I think I should have added a bit more.
Is it really possible for the light to cover a 4x4 flowering area when 24" above the canopy? It's only 11" wide. I'm looking forward to see what your lux meter shows at the corners of the 5x5 when you get it down to the 28" they recommend for veg.

:thanks:
So far they've been pretty bang on with their claims, but everything points to it being above my head for light technology - and what's possible to squeeze out of it. I only have the 4x4 for now, and when the time comes I'll take the measurements. It is a wall to wall light in a 4x4, but as you pointed out is relatively narrow. I'd love to do a grow with two of these in a 4x4 :love:
Awesome set up and great strains! Really like the bucket set up. I have some Somango (regular seeds) waiting to start next run so curious to see how the autos do for you. Happy Sunday
Hey Modest thanks for making it in! I've been waiting for quite some time to try the Somango, I had one in Veg in a different grow, but had to cull her to move.
Thanks for the shout-out, Rexer! A very nice setup you have there - should be fun to watch.
Thank you BeezLuiz! I'm quite anxious for them to get bigger, this is the part where I usually have some issues, up till mid veg.
I feel like I’m doing it the caveman way now…Fancy!:passitleft:
Thanks DeeBoy! Glad you could make it in, very happy to have you and don't be shy if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom