Rez size in RDWC?

Just be sure to use aquarium silicone. Scrogdog and rider run pretty mean rdwc systems. I'll look for links

I had planned on building a system kinda like this one, but instead of the nutes being pumped from the 1.5" tube at the far end of the system back to the rez, I was going to have the pump in the rez and pump it via 1/2" line into that 1.5" tube at the far end of the system.

It would return to the rez via the 1.5" tubing instead of being fed by the 1.5" tubing.

I only desiged it this way because my pump is submersible, not one that can operate outside the rez, and I don't want to buy a new pump right now.

I wonder if this would be an issue, I can only think that the only issue would be if there was a clog from the roots that the buckets might over flow.

Basically, the flow is opposite to what this picture shows.

I had planned on building a system kinda like this one, but instead of the nutes being pumped from the 1.5" tube at the far end of the system back to the rez, I was going to have the pump in the rez and pump it via 1/2" line into that 1.5" tube at the far end of the system.

It would return to the rez via the 1.5" tubing instead of being fed by the 1.5" tubing.

I only desiged it this way because my pump is submersible, not one that can operate outside the rez, and I don't want to buy a new pump right now.

I wonder if this would be an issue, I can only think that the only issue would be if there was a clog from the roots that the buckets might over flow.

Basically, the flow is opposite to what this picture shows.

@Bluenoser your album was set to "album owner only" we (as members) can't see your picture. You may need to make a new album and set it to "members only".

Hopefully someone out there can chime in and let me know if running the flow in reverse will be an issue or not.
I have a feeling if I do that, I'm gonna have to be super diligent about ensuring there are no root clogs otherwise an overflow might occur.
Thoughts?

Well, I've got a 105L rez now, and I've installed the 1.5" pipe in the buckets and uniseals. I've put a bead of aquarium grade silicone around the seals and pipes just to make sure there are no leaks.

I still have to connect the buckets to the rez and install the uniseal in the rez, but after that, and after the silicone has cured I'll be ready to fill it up and see if everything is watertight.

I ended up using poly pipes, the kind used for wells that is labeled potable, there were no 1.5" CPVC potable pipes anywhere in this city, so I bought the poly pipe.

Unfortunately, the poly pipe is not a straight tube, it comes in a large very rigid coil, so, I cranked up the BBQ, and heated the pipe up, just like forging a blade and bent it until it was straight, cooling it with cold water to lock it into shape.
LOL

This pipe was not as snug as the PVC pipe was in the uniseal, so hopefully the silicone will keep thing tight :)

Will be interested in seeing what you have built....:thumb:

Well, it's funny you asked, I JUST filled it with tap water to test it for leaks, so far so good!

After it sits for awhile with no drips and I'm confident it is gonna stay sealed, I'll drain the tap water and add RO water and get things going.

It's not pretty, but it is working, and it's not made with PVC, just poly piping.

I had to actually clamp and tape (I ran outta clamps lol) the long pieces of poly pipe to a metal pipe and a piece of wood to keep them from bowing back into their curved shape again, even though I forged it twice, just being overly cautious I'm sure.

I will be disconnecting the yellow feed line and connecting top feeds to the buckets from the rez instead, until the tap roots drop into the buckets, then I'll re-attach the yellow feed line again and remove the top feed lines.

Sound like a good plan?

This one is built to function as cheaply as possible, not for beauty, lol. Gotta use anything I have on hand.

Hopefully these pictures are visible to you :)

You can use a 5 gal bucket as a res but ph and water level drops will be more frequent. Honestly the bigger the res the better. PH will be more stable and more water will be available so if they are drinking lots then it wont be as fast a drop in water level. But also realize that the larger the res the more your gonna spend on Nutes when you do your water changes. so its a fine balance between keeping things good and cost down. I mean a 5000 gal res would be sick water temp wouldnt fluctuate fast, ph would keep more stable, water levels would keep relatively steady. but your cost per gram on a 4 plant system in the end you might as well just go buy the stuff instead of growing. Hope this helps you

I've finally hooked up the top feed system, awaiting to put my nice little seedlings in there soon I hope :)

I've put a wooden sub-floor in to put some plants in soil next to the hydro, hopefully that goes OK.

My mother plant and seedling and clone tray tent.....

Back
Top Bottom