Rhode Island Legalizes Medicinal MJ

Shaggy419

Rhode Island on Tuesday became the 11th state to legalize medical marijuana and the first since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that patients who use the drug can still be prosecuted under federal law.

The House overrode a veto by Gov. Don Carcieri, 59-13, allowing people with illnesses such as cancer and AIDS to grow up to 12 marijuana plants or buy 2.5 ounces of marijuana to relieve their symptoms. Those who do are required to register with the state and get an identification card.

Federal law prohibits any use of marijuana, but Maine, Vermont, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington allow it to be grown and used for medicinal purposes.

The U.S. high court ruled June 6 that people who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it can still be prosecuted under federal drug laws, even if their states allow it.

Federal authorities, however, have conceded they are unlikely to prosecute many medicinal marijuana users.

"I'm sure everybody in this room knows at least one person who would have benefited from medical marijuana," Rep. Thomas Slater, who has cancer, told fellow lawmakers before the vote. Slater said he doesn't use marijuana now but it could become part of his treatment in the future

Was gonna source quote but it was on Yahoo (my homepage) and knew it was time to post some news and hope no one beat me to the punch....

Good Luck, Rhode Island....send Florida some too....((I WISH))

Peace,

Shaggy

Good stuff. I validated this, even with out the source. Please if you can find the source. Like the others below. Then I'll edit it into the post. Good news tho. Thanks.

BOOYAA BABY!!!This is the best news I heard all year.Wait a minute,its only been three days.Still the best news though.

Cool, RI joins the ranks! Excellant! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Damn, took me a bit to find source but did and it's true!

Rhode Island Legalizes Medical Marijuana

By M.L. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 56 minutes ago

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Rhode Island on Tuesday became the 11th state to legalize medical marijuana and the first since the..

Just got this email.. cause to celebrate!

From NORML.ORG:

Rhode Island Legalizes Medical Marijuana!

Friends:

Here is some good news to begin 2006!

NORML is pleased to announce that Rhode Island has officially become the 11th state to legalize the use of marijuana for medical purposes. (See Associated Press article below.) This afternoon the Rhode Island State House voted 59-13 to pass the Edward O. Hawkins and Thomas C. Slater Medical Marijuana Act, overriding Governor Donald Carcieri's veto. Since the Senate had already voted to override the veto, this bill now officially becomes law in Rhode Island.

Rhode Island is the third state to legalize medical marijuana through the state legislature, rather than voter initiative, proving that public policy makers are finally starting to catch up to public opinion on the issue of safe access to medical cannabis. Rhode Island joins Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington State in protecting sick and dying patients who find relief in medical marijuana.

NORML would like to thank everyone who worked so tirelessly to ensure this bill's passage, in particular the Marijuana Policy Project, The Rhode Island State Nurses Association, and the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition. Most importantly, we would like to thank those of you who took the time to write your state legislators in support of this issue. NORML generated thousands of letters from concerned citizens such as yourself to members of the Rhode Island House and Senate in support of medical marijuana. Without your strong and unwavering support, this victory would not have been possible.

NORML will be focusing on state-based law reforms in 2006. Please consider making a donation to NORML to assist in our state-based law reform efforts.

We thank you for your support on this important issue. Thanks to concerned people like yourself, sick and dying patients in Rhode Island no longer have to fear arrest or prosecution for using the medicine that best suits their needs.

Regards,

Allen St. Pierre
Executive Director
NORML

#################################

House overrides Carcieri's medical marijuana veto
By M.L. Johnson, Associated Press Writer | January 3, 2006

PROVIDENCE, R.I. --Rhode Island on Tuesday became the 11th state to legalize medical marijuana and the first since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that patients who use the drug can still be prosecuted under federal law.

House lawmakers voted 59-13, with one abstention, to override a veto by Gov. Don Carcieri, allowing people with illnesses such as cancer and AIDS to grow up to 12 marijuana plants or buy 2.5 ounces of marijuana to relieve their symptoms. The law requires them to register with the state and get a photo identification card.

Federal law prohibits any use of marijuana, but Maine, Vermont, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington allow it to be grown and used for medicinal purposes.

The U.S. high court ruled on June 6 that people who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it can still be prosecuted under federal drug laws.

Federal authorities conceded they were unlikely to prosecute many medicinal users, and Rhode Island lawmakers pressed on, passing their medical marijuana bill on June 7.

Carcieri vetoed it, and the state Senate voted the next day to override his veto, but the House recessed before following suit. Tuesday's House vote came just before the start of the 2006 session, allowing the law to take effect immediately.

Rep. Thomas Slater, D-Providence, and Sen. Rhoda E. Perry, D-Providence, introduced the legislation last year after watching family members suffer from terminal illnesses.

Perry's nephew died last January of AIDS. Although marijuana may have relieved his suffering, he never used it because it was illegal, she said.

Slater has cancer and several of his family members died from it. He said he doesn't need marijuana now, but it could be part of his treatment in the future.

"I'm sure everybody in this room knows at least one person who would have benefited from medical marijuana," he said before the vote.

NORML and the NORML Foundation: 1600 K Street NW, Suite 501, Washington DC, 20006-2832
Tel: (202) 483-5500 - Fax: (202) 483-0057 - Email: norml@norml.org

damn thats so tight. do you know which are the other 11 states? i only know denver but i duno if the entire colorado is legal

That norml site is a little out of date though, i was reading about my state there (missouri) & it had some extremely harsh laws so i spent 4 hours writing an extremely convincing letter to my governer, then the next day i was reading news on the site that was about debate for no penalties at all for minor possession & it said that it was decriminalized in 2004 & i rechecked the states thing & the laws were from 1997.

On another note, i found it awsome that the one representitive said he would possibly use marijuana in his medical treatment!!! A POLOTICIAN SAYING HE IS WILLING TO USE POT!!!!!!!!!!!! change is happening my friends, this is a joyous yr.

Shaggy419 said:
Rhode Island on Tuesday became the 11th state to legalize medical marijuana and the first since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that patients who use the drug can still be prosecuted under federal law.

The House overrode a veto by Gov. Don Carcieri, 59-13, allowing people with illnesses such as cancer and AIDS to grow up to 12 marijuana plants or buy 2.5 ounces of marijuana to relieve their symptoms. Those who do are required to register with the state and get an identification card.

The U.S. high court ruled June 6 that people who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it can still be prosecuted under federal drug laws, even if their states allow it.

Federal authorities, however, have conceded they are unlikely to prosecute many medicinal marijuana users.

"I'm sure everybody in this room knows at least one person who would have benefited from medical marijuana," Rep. Thomas Slater, who has cancer, told fellow lawmakers before the vote. Slater said he doesn't use marijuana now but it could become part of his treatment in the future

im reading that site https://norml.com/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4516 and its very interesting, but i dont think any of the states say its legal they just decriminalized it, or mayb they arent talkin about medical. i duno im confused

Back
Top Bottom