Rickster Has Amnesia: CBD & Maybe OG Kush?

Rickstertp

Well this journal has been a long time in trying to start. I have never had so much trouble with germination, but it looks like I have two plants now. My initial desire was to grow an Amnesia Haze Auto from Seedsman, a Fastbuds CBD20:1 and a Fastbuds Original OG Kush, but while the Amnesia popped quickly, I have lost 8 (maybe 9) seeds from being a bonehead and killing them during germination. At the moment, the Amnesia is growing well and I have the tiniest CBD plant barely above the soil and another OG Kush that sprouted and hasn't come out of the soil.

I have a new Gorilla 2x4 tent that is nearly 7' tall to try and help with the heat issues I had on my last grow. I'm using a LED from Kingbrite 240W I think. The plants are in Fox Farms Ocean Forest and will be fed Megacrop only (unless a deficiency shows up).

My Amnesia started life as a little misshapen plant that topped itself in a manner of speaking. It grew into two separate main stems instead of one, so I won't be topping as I usually do, but just LST. I thought it was going to be a dud at first, but it seems to be taking off:

IMG_1102.jpg

Today:

IMG_1109.jpg

Here is my little CBD barely above ground, but she's growing some leaf!

IMG_1108.jpg

I have a OG Kush seedling in the soil also, but I don't think it's going to come up, but I'll give it a bit longer. If it doesn't come up, I'll have to decide if I want to try another or just go with these two plants.

Here's the group:

IMG_1107.jpg

Don't know how exciting this will be, but I'd be happy for any and all to come along for the ride.

On the bigger plant the leafs look like they are showing a Ph swing like crazy. One big sign of Ph swing is leafs curving.

Are you germinating those seeds straight in the soil?

If your open to suggestion, I've found an awesome way to germ beans using Jiffy pellets, distilled water a towel and a heating pad in which I had almost 100% germ rate...simple, cheap and easy

No. I didn't want the first post to be too long, so I really didn't go into my germination woes. I've never had problems with 12 hours in distilled water and then into a rapid rooter in the tray made for them with dome and heater underneath. First three seeds were the Amnesia you see and a CBD and OG seed. Neither of those ever came up so I suddenly lost my confidence in my rooters and tried two more in peat pellets which I have used successfully in the past. 5 seeds tried and failed in the peat pellets. This CBD and OG were put into paper towels kept moist with spring water. After they showed a tap root I put them in soil. The CBD has come up, but I don't think the OG will. If it doesn't, I'll either try one more in the rapid rooter if that fails, the universe is telling me I don't need another plant.

I think the long and short of it is I was using too much water in the peat pellets and in the rapid rooter. Usually they are foolproof, but I guess not idiot proof!

Oh ok cool, in the past I've talked to people who weren't getting good germ rates because they were sewing seeds right in the soil but if your using those methods you already know what your doing. I think temp has a lot to do with it too. Too hot and they won't germ, too cold and they won't either, it needs to be just right for some seeds to pop

Carry on young solder, you've got this...lol :morenutes:

On the bigger plant the leafs look like they are showing a Ph swing like crazy. One big sign of Ph swing is leafs curving.
Well it was misshapen from the first leaf. I actually pH'ed my solution at 6.2 and that first gallon of water/megacrop is the only thing it's gotten. It's only had one big watering so far. The pic is right after I tied the two main stems down to LST it, so that has the leaves a bit twisted. We'll see.

Oh ok cool, in the past I've talked to people who weren't getting good germ rates because they were sewing seeds right in the soil but if your using those methods you already know what your doing. I think temp has a lot to do with it too. Too hot and they won't germ, too cold and they won't either, it needs to be just right for some seeds to pop

Carry on young solder, you've got this...lol :morenutes:
Thank you! I am a relative novice though. Still have a lot to learn. I did just get a thermostat for my germination tray heat mat, so hopefully I can keep it the right temp on the next try. I may still try and get one more plant to germinate, but I'm glad the CBD has started up. I have plenty of flower for psychoactive effects, but I have a horrid lower back and I'm hoping to make some CBD cream for my back and maybe try gummies. My wife loves the gummies I make with regular flower.

Day ?? I'm really not sure what to date this mess, but today I did a bit of trimming and stretching of the Amnesia plant. She is looking happy and every time I tie her down, she reaches back up to the light. Not drinking a lot, so I haven't really upped the megacrop yet, but I think it will be feed time tomorrow and I'll give 2mg/gallon.

IMG_1111.jpg

My little CBD plant is clinging to life. Not doing a lot yet, but hopefully the slow start won't hurt too badly. Then again, it is an auto. Time will tell. Just gave it a mist in the middle of RO water and a bit (4oz) in a circle about 4 inches in radius around her to try and get her reaching for moisture.

IMG_1112.jpg

I did pop another OG Kush seed into a rapid rooter that was soaked and then most of the water squeezed out. It is in a rooter tray with dome on a thermostatically controlled mat at 80F temp in the dome. I put a drop of General Hydromponics rooting enhancer in with about 500ml in the tray that sits below the rooters. It doesn't sit in the water, but the moisture builds in the dome and keeps things moist. Hopefully I can get this one to actually grow. Fingers crossed.

Happy Growing Everyone!

We have OG Kush!! Finally one looks like it's going to make it. Only took five tries to do it! CBD continues to grow but still is really hugging the ground. I need her to stretch a bit. Amnesia is growing very well, but she is showing a tiny bit of chlorosis on her lower leaves. I am thinking N deficiency and have upped her megacrop to 2g/gal and gave her a full gallon feeding for the first time yesterday morning. CBD also got her first taste of megacrop at 1g/gal and she got quart or so with a little being right near her and the rest in a circle around.

I'll move the OG to a planter once it opens up a bit but I don't want its roots to go too far in that rooter.

OG Kush sprout:

IMG_1117.jpg

CBD ground hugger:

IMG_1118.jpg

Amnesia growing pretty well:

IMG_1119.jpg

Here is the chlorosis. It's not bad, but I want to nip it in the bud. Plant is growing vigorously, so I think increasing the megacrop should fix it, but I always appreciate input from the more experienced out there.

IMG_1121.jpg

Hopefully this journal should get a bit more interesting as the amnesia should start to do some stretching soon.

Happy Growing everyone!

well hey you got 3 heads above soil can only get better now. I like your training on the one very nice

Thanks! I got lucky on that one and it was easy. It grew looking like I had already topped it. I've only stretched the two sides out a bit and the middle just filled in like that.

I think the problem with that leaf might just be that it is in contact with the soil... the plants tend to slough off those leaves, and that could explain the yellowing... the leaf has been marked for death.

Thanks Emilya. I do see it on a few of the lower leaves, but then most of them are down near the soil also. This plant is a bit over two weeks old and the new growth looks a wee bit on the pale side, so I'll probably up the megacrop to 3g/gal when she needs feeding again.

Chlorosis is worse today. I think the plant will be ready for a feed today, and if not dry enough, I may give it one anyway. Don't have a pic, but it looks like N def and the new growth is a bit pale, so she seems to be saying that I need to give more megacrop.
That is probably a good bet. When I started with MC I was following the advice to increase by about 1/2g/g each time I watered, and for the most part that worked well... up to the recommended max in veg that is.

Day ??
The plants got a tour of the house and back screened in porch today courtesy of Hurricane Isiais. Power went out at half three in the morning when the lights were off and by morning power was still out, so I took the girls out to the back porch since the sun was shining and the temperature was thankfully pleasant. Sorry, I didn't think to take a pic since I was getting the generator set up so the Missus would have internet and telly.

Power back up now and the girls are back in the tent. The soil in the Amnesia is still a damp once you get a couple inches down so I'm leaving her feeding till tomorrow. @Emilya, I think I'm going back to your original assessment of the leaves turning yellow because they were laying on the soil. Either that, or the feeding she got the day before stopped any deficiency because I haven't seen any progression and the plant out in the sunlight was a nice shade of green. I'll bump up a bit on her next feeding anyway since she seems to be growing like, well like a weed! :laugh::laugh:

IMG_1129.jpg

CBD still is struggling to get any vertical growth. Hopefully she will start to catch up. She should be ready for a bit of a feed tomorrow. Still not sure about this girl. It's an auto, so time is a wasting!

IMG_1130.jpg

My newest girl the OG Kush is doing well. Still just getting a bit of misting and then some soaking in a circle around. I hate this stage of growth for watering, but I have been told that despite common lore, I can move my rooter to a solo next time and let it grow a bit before transplanting to the final 5 gallon pots, even with autos. I'll give that a try next time.

IMG_1131.jpg

Finally a group shot before signing off:

IMG_1132.jpg

I am thinking I see a bit of leaf curling and I've had issues with heat stress before. I've turned the air con in the room down a degree or two and have added a humidifier to the room to keep the plants in a good place in terms of vapor pressure. Typical daytime heat is 77-80F but humidity has been in the 50%'s, so I need to add some moisture I think. Any opinions?

Happy Growing everyone!

New day. Hopefully someone will check out this journal.
So I am trying to keep my temperature and humidity in the proper range according to the VPD charts. I have a window AC unit in the room where my tent is. It keeps the temps in line, but dries the air, so the humidity is way too low. It was 45% and it should be near 70%, so I added a small humidifier to the tent. I was afraid it would be too much, but it's working well. I like this one because there is no visible mist. It seems to completely atomize the water.

Amnesia got a gallon of feed this morning with 2.5g megacrop. I can't find any RO water anywhere, so they all got well water which is treated whole house to increase pH, so I had to add some pH down to get it to 6.6. I usually use citric acid crystals but I couldn't find them this morning and I was heading to work. I also tied down a few more branches to see if I can increase yield at the end. I'm going to let her go from here with nothing but adjusting the ties she currently has. Hopefully she'll start to stretch some. I like to LST my autos, but you don't want to mess around too long since it will start to flower on it's own schedule.

Both of the other plants got some of a 1g/gallon megacrop with the well water pH adjusted as well. CBD starting to look better and the OG Kush is moving right along.

Humidifier:
IMG_1136.jpg

Better temp/humidity:

IMG_1137.jpg

Amnesia:

IMG_1134.jpg

CBD:

IMG_1133.jpg

OG Kush:

IMG_1135.jpg

Happy Growing everyone!

The CBD is curvy but they all look good finally, the OG looks good now :passitleft:

Thanks! It's been a slow process getting here, but I think all three are going to make it, although the CBD might suffer from the slow start, but we'll see.

Thanks! It's been a slow process getting here, but I think all three are going to make it, although the CBD might suffer from the slow start, but we'll see.
I read at least once a day some story on just how resilient this amazing plant is, with just a little love they can overcome the worst of the worst usually. Your ladies should do great things, is the Amnesia the only Auto you have?

Back
Top Bottom