Rickster Has Amnesia: CBD & Maybe OG Kush?

I only did a low and slow test once a couple of years ago, and I went with a bag. It turned out fine, but we only have the one fridge and it made the entire kitchen smell dank whenever it was opened.

Also, there is really no room for anything but food in our fridge since our kitchen was built in 1948. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I would think that open racks would make the process less slow than bags, which seemed to be perfect. How long did the process take from chop to jars?

I only did a low and slow test once a couple of years ago, and I went with a bag. It turned out fine, but we only have the one fridge and it made the entire kitchen smell dank whenever it was opened.

Also, there is really no room for anything but food in our fridge since our kitchen was built in 1948. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I would think that open racks would make the process less slow than bags, which seemed to be perfect. How long did the process take from chop to jars?

I couldn't try it before, but we moved our RV out of storage and now have it at the house. It has a bigger residential fridge than our house and I can use the whole thing. I put the bags in the regular section which now has a humdity of 39%. Hopefully that's not too low.

If it's a standard frost free fridge it should work fine. The RH will vary during the day with the compressor cycle. Is there other stuff in the fridge to act as a ballast?

There is some stuff. I'll put some bottles of water in there tomorrow.

It took me almost 3 weeks in the one fridge in my kitchen. The first time opening it every morning was something ;).

The ones in the small fridge in racked were like 2.5 weeks

It took me almost 3 weeks in the one fridge in my kitchen. The first time opening it every morning was something ;).

The ones in the small fridge in racked were like 2.5 weeks

This will be my first try at this, so we'll see. I didn't have a lot with the CBD, but they are fat nugs. I am hoping this works because my drying attempts in the past have dried way too fast, even though the stems never cracked, the buds got overly dry and crispy and even with boveda packs after months of curing in jars are still a bit below 60%. That would be after maybe 4 days of drying in 70F and 50%RH environment. I'm hoping to improve the taste and smell of my two remaining plants once they are dried and cured.

This will be my first try at this, so we'll see. I didn't have a lot with the CBD, but they are fat nugs. I am hoping this works because my drying attempts in the past have dried way too fast, even though the stems never cracked, the buds got overly dry and crispy and even with boveda packs after months of curing in jars are still a bit below 60%. That would be after maybe 4 days of drying in 70F and 50%RH environment. I'm hoping to improve the taste and smell of my two remaining plants once they are dried and cured.
The smell was definitely better on the low and slow for me. It was a weaker plant, so the taste was smooth too

buds got overly dry and crispy and even with boveda packs after months of curing in jars are still a bit below 60%.
Couple of thought came to mind reading this. First is that Boveda packs are meant to maintain long term storage RH, rather than move the RH by any significant amount. They'll do what they can but they're just little packs of product compared to jars of dried buds.

Second is that once a bud gets below ~55% RH, all curing stops and won't recover even with rehydration. Curing is dependent on bacteria that need a certain % of RH to survive (in the mid 50s). Once they're dead from dehydration, they're gone and the buds won't cure.

Keep the paper bags of the walls of a frost free fridge. The bags pick up the condensation and of course become wet. Many overlook this and wonder why the paper bags are wet.

So far, the bags have stayed pretty dry. The humidity in the fridge is in the 32-35%. I hope that is not too slow, but the CBD buds still feel quite soft and sticky, but not damp feeling at all. It's only been three days, but in the past, five days in a dark tent with 50% humidity and they were very dry. In regards to Boveda packs, @InTheShed you are right. I have used them in desperation on one plant and they did move the needle a few points, but I wouldn't count on them to change more than a few percentage points.

Amnesia plant is coming down today and there will be a lot more to deal with. I'm trying to decide whether to wet trim and put buds in bags, or just cut off the fans and put the stalks in bags. They are so long that I will have to cut them down. I just have no luck dry trimming and I already cough on the smoothest of cannabis and don't want any more leaf than I have to have in the final product.

The humidity in the fridge is in the 32-35%. I hope that is not too slow, but the CBD buds still feel quite soft and sticky, but not damp feeling at all. It's only been three days, but in the past, five days in a dark tent with 50% humidity and they were very dry.
It sounds like it's right on track. The RH is a little low but it's not going to affect it too much. I would just continue the way you are going. It sounds like the fridge is on the cold side right now resulting in the low RH.

So far, the bags have stayed pretty dry. The humidity in the fridge is in the 32-35%. I hope that is not too slow, but the CBD buds still feel quite soft and sticky, but not damp feeling at all. It's only been three days, but in the past, five days in a dark tent with 50% humidity and they were very dry. In regards to Boveda packs, @InTheShed you are right. I have used them in desperation on one plant and they did move the needle a few points, but I wouldn't count on them to change more than a few percentage points.

Amnesia plant is coming down today and there will be a lot more to deal with. I'm trying to decide whether to wet trim and put buds in bags, or just cut off the fans and put the stalks in bags. They are so long that I will have to cut them down. I just have no luck dry trimming and I already cough on the smoothest of cannabis and don't want any more leaf than I have to have in the final product.
I'd be curious to see what others say about putting the stalks in the bags.

I did it two ways last time, one way was trimming the buds off the stalk and putting on the racks in my mini fridge. They took just over 2 weeks

The others were kept on the stalk, basically like full colas, and out in my crisper draw that was cracked open. If I closed the crisper...humidity got pretty high. Those took almost 3 weeks, and after trimming I still had to put back in the fridge for another week. They took forever to dry "whole".

This time around I think I'm trimming off each bud, bagging, and then the fridge.

Well crap, I put the stalks in and this morning my fridge was at 69%!! That is up from 30% when I put them in. I hope I don't get any mould. I'll probably pull them out of the fridge this weekend and cut the buds off the stalks.

Oh, that was amnesia by the way. Took her down yesterday and spent my entire day off in trim hell! There was so much bud on that plant and most of it was rock hard, dense buds. A bag of trim and two bags of larf. Two bags of A/B quality buds and about 7 bags of AAA, beautiful buds. I hope this low and slow dry works well because this was the best plant I have grown and want it to come out well.

Sounds like a great harvest. :welldone:
Thanks! I think I’ll cut the buds off the stalks Sunday. Still pretty damp in the fridge. 65%. It’s coming down, but I wish it would get down below 45% soon. I guess those buds are giving off a lot of moisture.

OK, as I mentioned, we are down to one. She is starting to show some general chlorosis that I think is typical for the age of the plant. The leaves that were damaged before still have spots, but not many new ones have shown since I started adding cal/mag. Trichomes haven't started turning amber, at least not much more than were there a week ago. I do think we are close. She got her typical feeding today of 5.2g/gal Megacrop and 5ml calmag.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

og kush trichomes10-17.jpg

My second fridge is full, so when OG is ready, she will dry the traditional way and since she is the last plant, I can use the current grow tent as a drying tent.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Back
Top Bottom