Rider’s Final Grow: GCG BOEL Skunk x JohnnyD, aka Thaibodian Skunk

I didn't like the wrinkly top leaves from yesterday but I'm not a hydro guy and you have grown an English hedgerow in there, so I didn't mention it. But now that you're seeing yellowing in the middle it's gaining issues.

Is this the same stuff you fed them last time? Is the pH stable?

FS Grow is 18-0-0 (with 16% Ca and no Mg), and Micro is 4-13-23 (with 3% Mg). So with equal parts Grow and Micro you're at 22-13-23, which seems reasonable. But your Ca/Mg is 16:3 which seems unbalanced to me. Calcium is an antagonist to a lot of other nutrients and micronutrients (P, K, Fe, Mg...) so you may be giving it too much Ca for the amount of Mg.

Hard to see the leaves in the remote pic.

Also, my nute guru suggests that Ca be half the K, and Mg be half the Ca (or a 4:winkyface:1 ratio of K:Ca:Mg).

One last thing about the N content of the Grow, and that is that it's 14.5% nitrate (best for hydro) and 3.5% urea, which is less effective in hydro:
"After doing a study with several concentrations of Urea and Nitrate -both by themselves and combined – this research group found out that Urea does not improve crop yields in NFT systems and indeed pure nitrate does the best job when no media is in place."
Source

Thank you, guys. Epsom salt it is. If I don’t see improvement in three or four days I’ll drain and refill the system with an eye to keeping my ratios as Shed suggested.

Shed, you blow me away with your knowledge and in-depth consideration. Truly impressive and very much appreciated.

“A range of 40 to 100 ppm of magnesium is considered acceptable. Calcium levels should be two to three times higher than the magnesium, as a rule of thumb. Pulse applications of 8 oz. per 100 gal. of Epsom salts can be made to quickly correct a magnesium shortfall detected in the media analysis. The addition of Epsom salts will have a slight impact on the EC of your fertilizer solution.”

Shed, this article echoes what you said about cal/mag ratios. I hit it with a pulse application of 2.4oz for my 30gal system. Knowledge gained, fingers crossed. I’ll be changing the res this weekend with an eye to keeping a better balance.

BTW... I’m an idiot. I put those fragile plants under the lights without considering that the last time they were on I was in flower. I was hitting them with over 1200μmol/s. ‍

Even if I’d engaged my brain from the start I wouldn’t have known where my PAR meter was! I’d shipped it off to Scrogdawg to use and he sent it back, and then I squirreled away the box unopened. On the bright side I also found more of the Samsung FB24 leds and two Meanwell drivers I’d forgotten about. Those damned pirates were always ordering stuff back then.

Sounds good! And might I suggest that next grow (;)) you start with the PAR meter.
The only thing I’ll consider growing in the future is the Siberian Thundercat since it’s an outdoor strain. I need the space inside.

What a difference 48 hours can make.
So much more green and healthy looking. I’ll know in the next few days if the additional magnesium has worked.

B22C65A4-A186-43F2-93C6-D26112F092C7.jpeg

Hey rider, definitely going to sub up to this grow. Shed wasn't kidding about how clean your setup was, beautiful, and all the right gadgets. I'm here to learn, just recently dove into true hydro myself, so far so good.

I do believe I recognize your name from a few years ago as well. I was gone for almost 2 years and recently came back, but was around for a few prior to that. Either way, glad to have ya back!

Mother Nature is not being kind to me. These seeds were all dropped on Feb 20, despite appearances. I have two plants that are ready to be flipped and four that are at least two weeks out.
So... do I say screw it and flip them all, or do I put the two big girls in the 4x4 and flip them while the others catch up? The 4x4 system is set up to feed from and return to the main system so the nutes would all be the same. I have an HPS in the 4x4 now but have enough extra LED systems to go that route. The 4x8 is only used as a drying room.
Flip them all? Or split and flip only the two? Or let it go for another two weeks and do another supercropping extravaganza on the big girls?

AF06E24A-97E0-48AC-8D42-BE05A41AF319.jpeg

87C1D1D6-283D-483E-9F1C-3D48976497D4.jpeg

Judging by your previous pictures ofnthe room in flower, I'd have to say either flip em all now or for sure put those 2 in the 4x4 for time being.

The growth rate is phenomenal when things are dialed in like you have here. Great job

I have seen what happens when you miss your flip window and the flowers eat the CCTV cam. :eek:
I halfway expected you to suggest letting them all veg for another two weeks just for the entertainment value. :laughtwo:

After considering all the effort it would take to sanitize everything to bring the 4x4 back on line I’m going to take the easy way out and just flip them all. I’m getting lazy in my old age.

Back
Top Bottom