Rider509: Two Thais & G13

My first attempt at RDWC was all Scrogdawg's fault. He was killing it with his system and I was inspired to give it a go. Once I saw how much sense it made, and how easy it was to control nutes and O2, I've never looked back.

This was my first system. A simple gravity feed that was brought about by necessity.

RDWCdrip_fw.png

And the current design is even more simple. The water level in the buckets is set by rotating the drain valve assembly after loosening two clamp screws. The valve is only used to drain the system without disturbing the water level setting.

RDWC2_fw.png

IMG_319025.JPG

ok so i bought a bunch of pipe and things i see in that picture. do i need to make small pieces to fin inside those couplers with the clamps, is all just small cuts of 1-1/2 abs? and for the bulkheads what size hole is needed for the 1.5 and 3/4? sorry to be asking so much but i really would like to get this up and running for flower.

Yep, just cut 1.5" pipe to the length needed for the types of coupler you use. There are two types of couplers in the system. The flexible ones and the metal wrapped rigids that are known as No Hubs. The bulkhead holes will depend on what type of bulkhead you're using. Did you go with Uni-seals or something more fancy schmancy?

I dunno if they're fancy schmancy but do i glue the pipe in these?

What is the white piece in the top there called and what does it do?
and how do i make it rotate? What needs to be glued and what needs to be just held by the clamps?

Definitely fancy schmancy. And at that price I wouldn't be gluing anything to them. The double threaded has threads internal and external, while the single threaded just has the external threads. Use threaded/slip fittings to your pipe. Solvent weld the fitting to your pipe making sure you use the right stuff. You can use universal but the solvents specified for either ABS, PVC, or CPVC work best. If you're joining PVC to ABS use a transition solvent. With pipe tape or pipe dope you thread the fitting through the tank and then into the threaded/slip coupler. Then tighten down the ring to compress the sealing gasket. I'd put the ring inside the tank so that when you're tightening things down the gasket isn't distorted by the turning of the ring. Those are very nice bulkheads.

Wish I could come help you!

edit: not sure what white thing you're talking about. Sorry!

I believe it's a stand pipe? I think that's what's scrogdawg called it. I have all the pieces except 3/4" cross fittings which I ordered in and they'll be here next Thursday here in town, and from what they're charging on amazon I need to sell them myself. Anyhow ya what does the stand pipe do? Do I need to run that to a drain or something in case?

OG, are you talking about the white part on the big drain assembly? That's just a slip fit reducer that I didn't glue in. It is a siphon break. I've since put a short length of clear tube over the small piece on top that extends above the level of the pots so it can never overflow.

OG, are you talking about the white part on the big drain assembly? That's just a slip fit reducer that I didn't glue in. It is a siphon break. I've since put a short length of clear tube over the small piece on top that extends above the level of the pots so it can never overflow.

That's what I was asking about, I have a reducer and. 4" nipple pipe to go in it, I'm just waiting on my 3/4" crosses and then I can assemble. Hopefully it works cause pvc adds up quick especially when you buy a bunch of the wrong shit lol.

That's what I was asking about, I have a reducer and. 4" nipple pipe to go in it, I'm just waiting on my 3/4" crosses and then I can assemble. Hopefully it works cause pvc adds up quick especially when you buy a bunch of the wrong shit lol.

Fortunately, Amazon accepts returns!

Yes and to rona and lowes, and home hardware. I've been on a mission the past two days lol. I bought all cpvc at first and that was wrong wrong wrong. I have sched 40 now and abs for the drain. I have three kinds of glues lol pvc abs and abs to pvc. All I need is the 4 way 3/4" crosses and I can mock it up then glue the son bitch together with a week to test it and order in my guardian:lot-o-toke: I see you run hoses into the bottom of your tubs, is that necessary?

I have 1.5" ABS drain lines in the bottom of the tubs with Uni-Seals, a 1" main feed line that Ts off to flex hose in the top of the tubs, and rubber hose for the air lines. The flexible feed lines in the tubs are just hanging under their own weight for now while I figure out if I want to use them to set up top feeding systems. I'm thinking an internal top feeding system that wets the Hydroton from inside the tubs with a series of small squirters. Still thinking on how to do that but allow easy removal of the net pot for cleaning.

edit: that grey flexible hose is for a portable dishwasher I think. Found it at Lowes.

IMG_331420.JPG

I've gone completely down the rabbit hole. I was gifted some seeds by a friend of family that are BOEL Skunk x Cambodian Thai. I posted up in the seed and strain forum here for any info on BOEL but no one here seems to have a clue. So I reached out to another forum and got some good responses that led to researching the BOEL and breeders of that time. That led to very old threads on another forum and even older threads from the now-defunct Overgrow forums. There is so much history out there on breeders and strains if you take the time to look for it. We (or maybe just me) take it for granted that we can just order up the flavor of the day and seeds get delivered to our door without any thought of where these strains originated or who was involved in developing them. We are riding the coattails of giants. I'm blown away by the history of the cannabis culture from the mid-60s to today. We are noobs.

I use my bench grinder to make the holes in the clear cups. Just touch it to the wheel and you get perfectly uniform holes, which is muy importante to anal retentive freaks like me.

Back
Top Bottom