Rider's first foray into LED strip lighting: Samsung H Series GEN3

Don't get high energy consumption at the wall confused with the amount of photosynthetically available light energy. A heater may pull 1500W at the wall but deliver zero usable light energy. The Holy Grail of lighting would be a device that converts 100% of available energy into usable light.

A great read if you want to better understand light as it applies to growing is on the Fluence website. I can't post an external link, but if you Google "fluence par-ppf-ppfd-dli" it'll get you there. It's very informative and well presented. Enjoy!

Excellent definition of light terms all in one place. Thanks for the tip.

Don't get high energy consumption at the wall confused with the amount of photosynthetically available light energy.

I don't - I confuse high energy consumption at the wall with a high monthly electric bill and the requirement to run the microwave during a very restricted part of the day.

A heater may pull 1500W at the wall but deliver zero usable light energy.

But I can unplug that without causing a sudden onset of darkness in the grow area ;) .

Electrical usage isn't everything - but it is a thing.

If you don't know how much electricity your lighting consumes, it's okay to say so, lol.

For those that are new to the science and language of lighting I'd like to try to help make some sense of it. I'm def no expert and won't get butthurt if someone jumps in and corrects me. This is necessarily simplified so don't crucify me if you've got your PhD in particle physics.

Lumens are the term most of us are familiar with. When you're comparing light bulbs at the store they all have lumen ratings printed on the box. That's great for general lighting because lumens relate to the way our eyes process light. We know that a higher lumen rating means more light output. And we all know that there's a visible difference between a warm white and a cool white and a daylight bulb. It's a difference we can see because the light energy of a warm white bulb reproduces light more on the red end of the visible spectrum, while a daylight bulb reproduces more light on the blue end of the spectrum. Sometimes the packaging will list a number followed by a K, which is degrees Kelvin. The important thing to know about that number is that a low number, like 3000K or 3500K is going to produce a warmer more red light, while a high number, like 5000K or 6500K is going to produce a "whiter" light because it's producing light higher in the blue spectrum. The degrees Kelvin, i.e., 3500K or 5000K, tells us which part of the spectrum is dominant.

PAR
Plants don't see light the way we do. They absorb radiated light energy, and the range of usable energy that they absorb is called photosynthetically active radiation, or PAR for short. PAR is the light that plants can "see" and use.

PPF
Light is made up of photons. The photons that are in the range that plants can use are called photosynthetic photons. A measurement for the total amount of light, visible to humans, that a device outputs is luminous flux which is measured in lumens. But since we are interested in PAR, or the light that plants use, we measure the total PAR output as photosynthetic photon flux, or PPF. PPF is measured inside a sphere where the total energy is captured. It's like a light grenade going off inside a sphere. It measures the total light splattered over the inside of the sphere but tells us nothing about how much light actually got on whatever portion of the sphere we wanted to cover with light. So we need a measurement that tells us how much of that light went where we needed it.

PPFD
We have the total energy of the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), known as the photosynthetic photon flux (PPF). But now we need to quantify the density, or how much of the energy reaches the plants. The measurement of how much of the energy reaches the plants is the photosynthetic photon flux density, or PPFD.

Think of PAR as plant light. PPF is the measurement of the total plant light produced. And PPFD is a measurement of the plant light that reaches the plant.

...to be continued

If you don't know how much electricity your lighting consumes, it's okay to say so, lol.

LMAO! I don't know. :hmmmm:

I don't know because the stuff is still in FedEx trucks scattered all over hell and back. I could give a qualified guesstimate but until it's all assembled and operating at temp while plugged into a watt meter, I don't know. :rofl:

Ever wonder why you can't convert lumens to PPFD? They are measurements of two different things. It'd be like trying to convert a quantity of ABBA to Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin
Hey, hey mama said the way you move
Gon' make you sweat, gon' make you groove
Ah ah child way ya shake that thing
Gon' make you burn, gon' make you sting
Hey, hey baby when you walk that way
Watch your honey drip, I can't keep away

ABBA
You're so hot, teasing me
So you're blue
but I can't take a chance on a chick like you
That's something I couldn't do
There's that look in your eyes
I can read in your face
that your feelings are driving you wild
Ah, but girl you're only a child

See the difference? Robert Plant would have railed that chick in the ABBA song.
(with apologies to SweetSue and the other women of 420, even though none of them ever grace my threads) :)

Sweet baby jeezus, Scrogdawg! If you've never been tortured by an ABBA song on the radio then you're the luckiest man alive. Syrupy sappy crap.

Mama Mia! I think SD is a secret little dancing queen and has a sweet ABBA record collection. Just didn't want anyone catching him out.

I grew up on Zepplin, Floyd, The Who, Skynyrd, Black Sabbath and on and on and on....................Not fucking ABBA, Boy George and The Bay City Roillers. But hey, you fuckers feel free to dance the night away.

Fuck all to learn here apparently...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

HA! You ungrateful buttdart! I go outta my way to put it in terms even a Canadian can understand... and this is the thanks I get? bwahahahahahaha :rofl:

:theband::Namaste:

Nice thread man! Was looking at some cheap LED t5 fixtures on a site to use as cloning and mothering lights. Gosh these Samsung lights kick the crap out of those in efficiency tho :S lots of good info in here, thanks to the person who mentioned the fluence article!

Back
Top Bottom