Ridiculously Simple Spider Mite Repellent

purzurples

ive had the spider mite problem and i hope you dont.
its common enough to have brought out lots of homemade recipes for spider mite killers. the best spider mite eradicator is one i found here
at 420mag forums. a search for "homemade miticide" will probably bring it up.

But there is a simple way to keep them away in the first place.
If youre willing to do something wierd.
A spider mite won't go near a Chive plant.
in traditional gardening, growers do "companion planting"..
putting a plant other than the one youre growing in the midst of your garden to help the plant youre growing to keep out of troubles.

Go to the store and buy a potted Chive plant. put it among your ladies as a "companion plant" and if and when a spider mite sails into your garden, the first thing it will want to do is to get out of there; it will not make a home or lay its eggs where there is the smell of chives.

I read it, I'm a newbie, I thought it would be informative:)
thank you all for your cooperation and have a stealthy, nudity-filled evening.
:bravo:

Thanks for sharing your finding purzurples! After some research there are other plants that can help get rid of spider mites.

* Garlic – aphids, cowpea curculio, flea beetles, Japanese beetles, Mexican been leaf beetles, root maggots, spider mites and squash vine borers
* Onion – bean leaf beetle, cabbage loopers, carrot flies, flea beetles, harlequin bugs, Mexican bean leaf beetles, mice, rabbits, spider mites and squash vine borers
* Dill – aphids, cabbage moths and spider mites
* Fennel – aphids, slugs, snails and spider mites
* Coriander/Cilantro – aphids, Colorado potato beetles and spider mites
* Chives – aphids, Japanese beetles and spider mites
* Cloves – cowpea curculio, spider mites and squash vine borers

Did this work for you before or after they set up camp?

Oddly enough, I use companion growing for everything else with mostly great results...

thanks for sharing your finding purzurples! After some research there are other plants that can help get rid of spider mites.

* garlic — aphids, cowpea curculio, flea beetles, japanese beetles, mexican been leaf beetles, root maggots, spider mites and squash vine borers
* onion — bean leaf beetle, cabbage loopers, carrot flies, flea beetles, harlequin bugs, mexican bean leaf beetles, mice, rabbits, spider mites and squash vine borers
* dill — aphids, cabbage moths and spider mites
* fennel — aphids, slugs, snails and spider mites
* coriander/cilantro — aphids, colorado potato beetles and spider mites
* chives — aphids, japanese beetles and spider mites
* cloves — cowpea curculio, spider mites and squash vine borers

awesome!!

Did this work for you before or after they set up camp? -

Oddly enough, I use companion growing for everything else with mostly great results...

I did use the "eradicator" that day I saw the little webs. Dude, I swear I couldn't wish that on anybody, man.
I ate my plant a few days later in a panic (long story).

But the "companion planting" thing: thousands of years of human farmers can't be wrong. A close relative of mine who's been working in a greenhouse for at least 20 years, first thing she said was: "get ladybugs they'll hunt and kill all your mites ans they will fly away once they're all gone."
-When I said I am working indoors, she said: "ohhh, then you need to do companion planting, plant some chives every three or four rows among your plants, spidermites run from chives, that's how we do it."

In Twelve's post, look at all the critters who are offended by garlic!
Actually I wouldn't mind growing some garlic in general! lol

My aunt (the above-mentioned advanced greenhouser) gives good advice.
Companion planting works.
I'm thinking you'll definitely want to keep the roots of your companion plant uninvolved (don't stick an onion plant into one of your aero sites, lol, just have it in a traditional plant container).
But I am going to companion germinate a chive next go and just let it grow in a regular flowerpot soil.

Did this work for you before or after they set up camp?

Greenhouse workers will put a companion into the growing area if they see a problem. Notice that many commercial organic insecticides are actually made of other plants' oils. Meaning a store bought spray might contain Rosemary oil, but it will be in very concentrated amounts, and many will warn you to "keep the spray off of flowers/buds because it'll burn the plant.

I am very tech-minded, but at the same time, I believe that in many cases Nature did it right. Example: I know I will build an automated controller for my grow room....but at the same time, just because a chive plant will scare mites away in nature it doesn't mean I will buy a "4,000 times concentrate of chive oil" and spray it on my plants.
:adore: <- i dont know what that cartoon guy is doing but i like his head.

Anyway, natural remedies: why not, right? :)

Check out the organics forum.

I have a fairly big thread there on using garlic to deter mites.

Hadn't really thought about it, but I also have a 3YO chive plant that needs to be divided. I'll do this next spring, kinda late in the season now and it sits outside all winter.

DD

what ratio of companion to pot plant would you recommend? Can one companion cover about 50 mothers with its presence or would you add more than that?

oh right. that's okay for me because i don't go into flower, i'm solely into the clone biz. do you think it would taint this?

Back
Top Bottom