Rifleman's Roost Open 24/7: Perpetually Perplexed

............ Very impressed that you can make your own seeds! I'm sure it saves you tons on seeds!

Not nearly as much as you'd think.... none actually. :eek: I gave all but a couple of dozen away, and bought some more different strains. :cool:

Nice Rifleman! Looking forward to the reversal! I hope to do a little playing with seed making in 2019 so ill be learning from you.

The hardest part is knowing when to castrate. Too soon and you may only have a few dozen beans. Wait too long and you can have thousands and crummy smoke to boot. :rofl: I'm hoping for a few hundred and some decent herbage.

This 'ol chair Roscoe used to hang out under has been serving me well for many moons now. Just sayin.

I really miss that fat ass foot warmer. :rip: Without a doubt the most gassy dog I ever smelt. o_O

It seems I've sprouted a tap root and can't pull my ass off of this couch, but when the sunshine pump gets primed in the Spring I may wanna sit on your porch and throw the b-a-l-l I'll barter with the dog for corner space when night falls. :rofl:

Why don't you get another dog Rifle?

Peace, Hyena

Why don't you get another dog Rifle?
Peace, Hyena

I'm not up for the hurt HM. Plus I like to wander during the warm weather and am gone for weeks sometimes, not right or good for a dog. If the CEO ever leaves the rat race it's possible no one would be here for a couple of months at a time. I'll just shuffle around with cold feet until some mutt wanders in that can't be run off with rocks, then I'll be forced into servitude again. ;)

Until then I have my freedom and memories. To Roscoe ! <pass left> :passitleft:

Agree dogs need a lot of face time and it's hard to haul one in a car, near impossible on a bike. But when mama retires you'll probably get an RV and it'll be dog time again. It's in my future too. Less than 5 years away.

BTW I am attempting to produce seeds right now, a week post-flip and waiting to see if the requisite ballage will appear on the chosen one. Depending upon what happens the next 3 weeks I may solicit your advice or perhaps just condolences.

Peace, Hyena

....... I am attempting to produce seeds right now, a week post-flip and waiting to see if the requisite ballage will appear on the chosen one. Depending upon what happens the next 3 weeks I may solicit your advice or perhaps just condolences. Peace, Hyena

Using CS or STS ?

Agree dogs need a lot of face time and it's hard to haul one in a car, near impossible on a bike. But when mama retires you'll probably get an RV and it'll be dog time again. It's in my future too. Less than 5 years away.

BTW I am attempting to produce seeds right now, a week post-flip and waiting to see if the requisite ballage will appear on the chosen one. Depending upon what happens the next 3 weeks I may solicit your advice or perhaps just condolences.

Peace, Hyena
This is on my list of things to do/learn in 2019! I picked up some 50ppm CS. Just gotta figure out what I want to make seeds of.
That brings up a question, if you all dont mind, when you reverse sex on an auto, you can then apply that pollen back to the same plant and make female seeds right? What are the negative aspects of doing this as far as the offspring are concerned? Can they hermie?

This is on my list of things to do/learn in 2019! I picked up some 50ppm CS. Just gotta figure out what I want to make seeds of.
That brings up a question, if you all dont mind, when you reverse sex on an auto, you can then apply that pollen back to the same plant and make female seeds right? What are the negative aspects of doing this as far as the offspring are concerned? Can they hermie?

My research indicates that would not be ideal. Genetic blends require diversity to be fully effective, I have read a higher incidence of hermies etc. will result.

However, Rifle is the expert...I'm doing it for the first time.

Peace, Hyena

I have some purposely selfed Sensi NL seeds that were made by an anonymous source around these parts. I dont believe that they will give me any problems unless I try to self the self??? Still learning myself

Here's the deal y'all. I reversed a DDA in a tent with a Sour Crack. Both plants were pollinated by the DDA. Over 6k beans that run and I've not heard a single complaint about a hermie in two years. Don't be skeert' to try.
:cough:

Here's the deal y'all. I reversed a DDA in a tent with a Sour Crack. Both plants were pollinated by the DDA. Over 6k beans that run and I've not heard a single complaint about a hermie in two years. Don't be skeert' to try.
:cough:
Well said buddy!

I'm not up for the hurt HM.

That was me for a while. I've had far more cats than dogs in my life, but I suppose it really makes no difference - pet animals have a way of becoming part of the family. And it seems like, no matter how long they live (a few of my cats have made it past 20), we seem to feel almost as if they're our children. And not just that, but our young children - which makes that final day that much worse.

But then I realized... most every organism in the universe is going to die at some point, and that's certainly true for the animals that we are familiar with, and those we choose as pets - or those that choose us. In the last 30 years or so, all but one of my pets were either homeless strays or "ferals" (the only difference has seemed to be that the latter took a little more careful approach). Because of that... I sometimes find myself thinking, "Never again," but then end up encountering an animal that is, realistically, not likely to live much longer if its circumstances don't improve. So, well, you know... 20 years, lol. That seems like a pretty good trade for the (admitted) blow to the "heart." It seems like the pain is a lot less when I manage to remember that {pet} has had a fairly decent life - and one that has been much longer and more comfortable than would have otherwise been the case. Still hurts, of course. Especially since I don't take the easy way out and pay a vet to "deal with it."

There was one, though... My current pet adopted me at the same time that an older (but by no means geriatric; estimated to be around eight years old by the vet) cat showed up on my front porch. I wasn't aware that I had been "adopted" at that point. It was a cold February, but I see lots of animals all year long, and mostly they manage to survive. It was a time when I was trying (lol) to quit smoking, so I was sitting in the porch swing, having decided to not smoke inside the house at least. So the older one just showed up. I made some verbal noise (said something to it) in a calm voice to let it know that I was aware of it but did not have a problem with it being there. It immediately jumped onto the swing beside me. "Someone's pet," I thought. Absentmindedly, I petted it - and it (turned out to be a he) stepped onto my lap, laid down, and began to purr. Oops, that's their secret weapon and I've just been hit with it... I was still assuming it to be a neighbor's pet. I'd see it, then I wouldn't, then it'd show up again.

Then we had a cold snap. I came home one day and it was less than 20 degrees out. There he was, on my porch swing. A couple hours later, it had gotten cold. I went back out and he was still there. So I fetched an old blanket scrap, thinking I'd try to cover him up and he'd bolt for sure. What happened, though, was that he acted like a little kid that had just been tucked in for the night. Got up the next morning to retrieve the blanket, figuring he'd be long gone - but he was still there. When he heard me, he raised his head out of the blanket, then relaxed again. Hmm. This went on for a couple days before I realized that he was now mine (or vice versa?).

Then... no cat. <SHRUGS> He went back to his real home. No worries. But then... He staggered onto my front porch one night and fell over at my feet. He looked like someone had tried to skin him and his tail was cut almost all the way through. This not being a large city, there are no 24-hour animal services. Besides, I'm walking, and with no money in my pockets. So first thing the next morning I borrowed some money (and later, as it turned out, had to "borrow" a good bit more from the nice - but expensive - veterinarian) and called Mom to see if she'd give me a ride to the vet's office and back. She did and the vet, after telling me I didn't have anywhere near what she was going to charge me, offered to let me make payments and kept the cat for surgery/recovery/whatever. Went back a day or two later, got cat, medication, and was told that he was remarkably healthy, considering, but had some minor illness (which cleared up).

So I had a cat. An indoor cat - once I brought him inside, he never expressed the desire to go back out again. Was about that time when I ended up with the other cat. I'd also seen her on the porch now and then, but she was... a bit standoffish? I could pet her, but that was about it. IDK what changed, but suddenly she wanted inside my house - and was determined to get in.

Anyway, to make a long story just a little bit longer... Now I had two cats. They both immediately made themselves at home, as pets do. Turned out their favorite spot was my grow "room." That worried me for a bit, but they were just hanging out in there (the girl was smaller, and liked laying on the soil of a five gallon bucket - which worried me more, lol, but she never used it as a litter box). Time passed...

Then one day, I heard the older cat make some horrible noises all of a sudden. And "thump," he fell over dead, right in the middle of my grow space. That kind of tore me up for a while. I mean, yeah, he was nearly dead just before I brought him into my home, so even he lived longer than he otherwise would have, but... IDK.

I've seen a lot of pets advertised for sale (at the most silly prices imaginable), and have often thought, "I'd like to have one of those." But I wouldn't buy one, even if I could afford to. I assume that such critters eventually go to live comfortably in circumstances where the "owner" can do things like choose pet food by something other than price, actually write a check for vet services when needed, et cetera. I'll restrict myself to the unwanted, abused, and unfed - and try to remember that they're going to live just as long as they're going to, and not a day longer, and that there's only so much I can do about it. And hope to remember that, however long that turns out to be, that the life is better than it would have been had they not chosen me.

So I hope, if circumstances end up meaning that you meet an animal that appears to need a home - and you - that you'll reconsider.

On the other hand, I can understand your "restless ways," lol, and how that affects things. Maybe you'll find one - or get found by one - that is likely to remain small enough to come along for the ride? I occasionally see people riding with an animal along. Wouldn't work with a great dane ;) , but...

Everything and everyone dies, eventually. It's the time that comes before that really matters. . . .

Here's the deal y'all. I reversed a DDA in a tent with a Sour Crack. Both plants were pollinated by the DDA. Over 6k beans that run and I've not heard a single complaint about a hermie in two years.

And those seeds have spread far and wide ;) .

If asked, I tell people it's okay if the goal is simply to produce some plants, but that it's probably not the best thing if someone wishes to use such a creation as the foundation for breeding a strain. But that's just my opinion (as so many of my words are). And, really... That's exactly how "clone-only" strains go from that to "the latest and greatest seedbank offering." Even if they use two plants, by definition they'll be clones from the same source, so only the one set of genetics in the pool. So I suppose this kind of thing happens more than a lot of people think.

In the meantime, lots of us will be enjoying our S₁ DDA and SSDC, lol :thanks:.

Historically, there have been cases with "royalty" having... close relations with close relations. Sometimes, the offspring seemed fine. Well... Anyway, the real clusterf*ck ensued when that offspring (or his/her descendants) had the same kind of behavior.

I used to be in a relationship with a woman who had some pretty significant mental issues. In terms of IQ, she's one of the most intelligent people I have known (and someone who could give ME a run for my money in terms of conversation, lol). But she has schizophrenia, among other things. So, anyway, I know her grandmother pretty well, and once she mentioned something about it not being the girl's fault how she is. "Of course not," I replied. Then she said it was her family's fault. Having known a few things about the situation, I agreed that her parental situation was... bad, very very bad, and that it would have provided a triggering event for anyone "predisposed" to schizophrenia. But it turned out that she meant what she said to cover not just the woman's immediate (parental) generation, but further back. "Her other set grandparents were first cousins," she admitted. "And so were one set of their parents."

Things that make you go, "Hmm..." :rolleyes:

I recently had a cat pass. In an ironic twist, she was diabetic at the end and required daily injections on insulin along with blood testing. The ironic bit.... Tead's sweetheart is a type1 diabetic and has been doing that dance since childhood.
I see her passing with a slightly different pair of rose colored glasses. I like to celebrate the days one is given both before and after passing.
She lived a very good and very long life. She fell into my world when I had the need for a mouser. Her days were filled with much love and adventure. She's still making me chuckle on a daily basis as her memories run thru my days.
Perhaps some day I'll feel the need for fresher memories and I would suspect that, at about that time, another interesting creature will find their way into my world, but it will be some days before there is room for more of that joy.

Of course, the b-a-l-l chaser remains to keep one's attention properly focus upon the aforementioned b-a-l-l.
I suspect she knows best how to engage RM's throwing arm.

I've read several comments where this is a point of interest so I figured a small tutorial wouldn't hurt. So today I'll give y'all a peek at what I use to do what I do here at The Roost.

It's Day 14 for a Mephisto Northern Cheese Haze that's growing in ProMix HP.

She will be sprayed with this commercial colloidal silver solution to reverse sex and produce female pollen for herself and four plants I'll be growing in my dwc buckets. The hope is to produce a few feminized seeds from each.

So what are the other plants you ask ? It's an all Mephisto grow once again. :eek: Who'd a think it huh ? :D The line up will include a Sour Crack, Sour Stomper, Four Assed Monkey, and a Blue Tooth-Special Pheno.

Edit: Damp paper towels, zip loc bags, heating pad, and a dark towel on top to insulate. Seeds placed down for germination this morning.

Here's where the magic will happen. Notice where my airlines connect with the buckets at the top of the sight tubes. That's the only oxygen input I use. No airstones or any other diffusers.

Air will be supplied by a small semi-quiet four outlet air pump. Run wide open of course. :)

Lighting will be with seven 50w cobs from CobShop. "I wear my sunglasses at night.":theband:

And finally the only nutrients and additives. Nothing more than the basic Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect m,g,b, some cal-mag, Hydroguard, and Z7. That's it. Simple, simple, simple.

Stay tuned, when the other four crack I'll document my planting procedure, and nurturing the babies until the roots reach the reservoirs. Until then if y'all know anybody wanting to learn how easy DWC can be, or tired of buying seeds and wanting an alternative, send them over. There's more than enough room on the porch for everyone to have a seat.

Don't forget to pass this left though. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom