RippdVanWinkl's First - Indoor - DWC - LED Grow - Cinex - Tahoe OG & White Widow

RippdVanWinkl

Hey guys, first time grower here, long time enthusiast and after some research I decided I wanted to give a hydroponic grow a shot. I liked the idea of quicker growing time and I found the simple concept quite interesting. After watching a few videos and reading a few forums here and there I decided to design something that fit my space.

My DWC setup is based around an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container. Initially I had it setup with 4, 3.5" net pots but then later decided to reduce it to 3, 5" net pots because they were deeper and seemed more appropriate for larger plants. I am using a dual outlet air pump for an 80 gal fish tank with 2, 4" round air stones and it puts out a pretty good bubble. For medium I am just using expanded clay pellets that were cleaned and then soaked again in RO water.

I live in a studio without much room so i'm working in a 32" x 32" x 63" grow tent (which had to be assembled a second time in the closet because it literally fits within 1-2 inches on the sides), using a 300w full spectrum LED light. I went LED because I liked the idea of the low heat, lower energy draw and full spectrum so I didn't need to decide between HPS and MH.

For nutrients i'm just using General Hydroponics FloraMicro, Gro and Bloom. Because it's my first grow, I wanted to keep it simple and in the future I will get more in depth nutrients. The pH adjust is General Hydro as well.

I started with 12.5 gallons of RO water among other filtering processes in the cleaned container. I then added light nutrients for only 10 gallons of water to keep it extra light because they were transferring from rockwool in soil to hydraton. I then pH'd the system to 6 after a few tries I learned how much up and down to use. I then let the air stones do their thing for about an hour to aerate the water and mix everything together.

I live in southern California along the coast so my temperature is pretty constant and does not get very hot in summertime (usually stays below 80 most of the time). So with all factors considered I should have relatively ideal conditions to grow. Also, being in Ca has granted me the options of starting with clones for my first experience. I went to a not so local club and picked out the best looking clones that they had. They happened to be Cinex, Tahoe OG and White Widow. They are from a MrBeezGenetics who I know noting about, so i'm not 100% sure its accurate genetics. Also since their selection wasn't stellar and I picked the best looking clones i'm pretty sure I ended up with harder strains to grow. (I'm hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on)

Any advice/ guidance to prevent catastrophe is appreciated! I will try and update every few days and make a decent grow log.

*I plan on wrapping the DWC and lid in Mylar soon*

This is my journey, so sit back hit the bowl and enjoy!

On to the photos!

Supplies slowly arriving
20160601_204034.jpg

Clones acquired (Start Week 1, Day 1)
20160605_173640.jpg

Fan and clones in the tent for the time being until the rest of the system arrived (Week 1, Day 3)
20160605_195756.jpg

I got everything in the DWC and just kept checking the pH daily and am now keeping it at 5.8
I went away for a weekend and was terrified that there would be an issue, but everything seemed to be fine.

(Clone Week 2, day 1) Cinex taking root nicely:
20160612_232810.jpg

(Clone Week 2, day 1) White Widow was a little root bound in the solo cups so I did the best I could when transferring them over which is why the roots are all coming out the one side.
20160612_232813.jpg

(Clone Week 2, day 1) Tahoe OG taking root as well:
20160612_232837.jpg

Its amazing how quickly these roots grow (in one day some roots grew 2-3"). hopefully the plants will follow once the roots get established.
The following are all Week 2 Day 2:
Cinex:
20160613_183428.jpg

White Widow:
20160613_183612.jpg

Tahoe OG:
20160613_183730.jpg

The Cinex and Tahoe OG are catching up to the WW which seems to be slow going
20160613_184135.jpg

Temps within a 11 degree range between day and night
20160613_184459.jpg

The whole shebang!
20160613_184510.jpg

Today is just a quick update, I replaced the water because the walls of the culture were a tad slimy and there was some dirt/settled nutrients and dead root on the bottom. I have 2 Rubbermaids and I alternate them in and out so its a quick turnover and overall makes for a more pleasant exchange. I changed up the nutrient solution to 10mlpg Grow, 5mlpg Micro, 3mlpg Bloom. I was also able to drop the water level a bit down to 10 gallons so that the net pots are about 2 inches from the water line but there are roots in the water (Too much distance?).
I also started some light stress training the white widow to try and get some of the under buds more light.
**my WW might be trying to flower but everything is set for veg? See the photo below**
I also gave fimming a shot on the Tahoe to see if I could add some more bud points and to learn.

Cheapest way to get RO water?!
20160614_183229.jpg

Fresh water in, nutrients added, and pH set to 5.8. Also added the mylar to the outside to see if it makes a difference with light penetration and reduce slime.
20160614_220557.jpg

Under normal light. Original leaves look a little light, but the new growth seems to be pretty healthy.
20160614_220610.jpg

WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE MY WHITE WIDOW IS STARTING TO FLOWER?!?!?!?!?
20160613_224330.jpg

Definitely some visible progress this week! Today is week 3 day 3? Something like that. Just got done changing the solution. I changed up the nutrient solution to 12mlpg Grow, 6mlpg Micro, 3mlpg Bloom and will stay at this rate until I switch to Flowering light. Other than that, my WW is still starting to flower and it's just going to sit in 18/6 until the others are ready in about a week or 2. Other than that, everything is pretty good, might need some Calmag but other than that things look good.

Picture Time!
Today: Week 3 day 3, Pre-water change. Definitely growing!
20160621_185611.jpg

Roots looking nice and healthy:
20160621_201944.jpg

Cinex:
20160621_202359.jpg

WW:
20160621_202630.jpg

Didn't take a photo of Tahoe, but she is looking good too.

Reconfigured the plants so that they get the most light:
20160621_205416.jpg

Photo of the DWC at work
20160621_202259.jpg

Back in the lights
20160621_205437.jpg

You're off to a good start!! The roots are looking good. I'll share the few things I have learned in my short time here. One thing is, maybe I missed it, but what is the water temp in your reservoir? Its important to control the water temp (or at least monitor) to minimize slime/algae in your water. You want no light and temps below 70F in the res. Also see if you can cut the mylar to fit around the plants but over the lid. Again, this will help keep the light out and temps down. That black lid will heat up more than mylar.

Also, don't fight your pH. You shouldn't adjust it to 5.8 everyday, but set it to 5.8 and then let it rise over a few days. The pH needs to range to allow all your nutrients to be absorbed, as each has its own pH for ideal uptake. There's several charts floating around that show pH range and nutrient uptake. If I have a few minutes I'll see if I can find one for you. Additionally, if you are constantly adding pH adjusters you can cause nute lock out.

Oh, and I also get my water from a dispenser like that. Not sure if its the best way, but it works for me. :)

Keep up the good work!

Jayne C, thanks for the guidance! I actually don't have a thermometer for my water so i'm not really sure. Its something I will invest in for sure along with a PPM reader because I don't have one of those either, I just run my plants a little leaner than the recommended nutrient levels. As far as fighting the pH, its been incredibly stable lately and I haven't even had a need to touch it, it sways between 5.7 and 5.9 so i'm just not touching it.

I did some fimming last week and it seems to have produced a good amount of new growth and some new tops. I think i'm going to switch these ladies over to flowering shortly because I don't want them to grow too tall.

Photos!
Day 21, I am ditching the whole week thing because I should have started with week 0 not week 1 so it looks all skewed.

20160624_215641.jpg
20160626_190242.jpg
20160626_190557.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom