RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome

If RLS could be induced, it would probably be one of the most effective forms of torture out there. I've had RLS since I was in a car accident in 2002, it was at its worst in the immediate recovery period after the accident. It would keep me up all night, Id just keep squirming around in my bed, flexing and relaxing every leg muscle trying to get the feeling to go away. It ruined the relationship I was in, and almost made me 'quite sad' (coupled with other injuries/depression) on those late lonely nights.

I re-started my cannabis use shortly thereafter, and found that Sativa or Sativa-heavy strains were most helpful. I still suffer from episodes maybe twice a week, but it's completely manageable now, thanks to cannabis. And I have been happy every day since!

Your results may vary depending on cannabis smoked, quantity, quality, and your state of mind.

I have suffered from RLS my whole life and used to be a sleep walker (frowned upon in the Marine Corps for obvious reasons). My RLS is so bad that my rough heels actually wear holes in my beds sheets and mattress pads. My wife does not like her 1000 thread count sheets having holes torched through them like someone got carried away with a belt sander. I also suffer from a dystonic condition known as Spasmodic Torticollis, as well as being a cancer survivor... oh yea, let me tell you about the fucking leg cramps. One night, I had one so bad that I am pretty sure I fractured my own leg. My right Gastrocnemius muscle... lmao... yea, that bad boy launches into a cramp so fierce that it has actually brought me to tears on many occasions. All triggered in my sleep, when I tighten my legs and point my toes.

MJ is the *only* substance I know of that allows my body to relax enough to stop from doing all the shit I do in my sleep. I no longer sleep walk (that I know of, lol), and apparently, I relax TOO much now, as apparenly I have begun to snore loudly as of late.

So, I have gone from waking the wife with me trying to walk a million miles in my sleep, to relaxing so much that I snore loud enough to wake my wife and scare the dog into the other room.

Can't win them all, I guess. :smokin:

Last Friday, I saw a late movie at the theater with my girlfriend. I had never noticed any RLS symptoms before then, but I had to get up and walk a couple of times during the movie. When I got home, I had an incredibly strong urge to move my legs. It was about one in the morning, and I felt I had to move or I would die. I couldn't get my mom to take me to the gym, (I don't have my license) so I ran out of the house and up a few streets. That's when I had a panic attack. It was the single-most terrifying experience of my life. I was hyperventilating, drooling, biting my fingers, crying, screaming, and running the fastest I ever have. For the past week, I haven't been to bed before three a.m. I haven't smoked in a few months, I'm trying to get a job, so until now it hasn't really been an issue. I know that it could help though, and I have an appointment with a neurologist soon, so I'll ask about getting a recommendation. Has anyone been given a rec for RLS? Any problems with that? Comments? Advice? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you:wood:

I have RLS, and I also use medical marijuana for other reasons. Marijuana does not help my RLS at all. It does help you go to sleep faster, so if I am really tired, it can help a little. But if I'm not dead tired, it actually makes my RLS a bit worse.

MM does help with RLS and anyone who suffers with this can tell you so. I work nights (10:00 until 06:00) and need as much sleep as a human can squeeze outta a day, so when I lay down only to have the legs go crazy leg on me! DAMN-but now with a little puff,puff the problem goes away. Yeah, I took meds from the doc for it, which didn't help either. Tried the Vicks and the bar of soap thing.
What works is MM in moderation-another fact this herb is a miracle for us all!

I was going to mention the potassium and magnesium too. There are a couple RX drugs out there they give for RLS,Lyrica or Neurontin. RLS sucks! Dudette:peace:

I have had severe RLS syndrome for years and suffered terribly. Another form or mis diagnosis is idiopathic anaesthesia, which means there is no reason medically that can confirm why I have this. I take Tylenol 3, valium or monolith along w gently which for some reason helps the tormenting feeling that invades my body, legs, arms,trunk and even the Back of my neck! Recently I started smoking marijuana and it was a Miracle! It relieved my symptoms and made me able to rest. I have taken tons of meds from various doctors and this is the only thing that ever has really controlled it! I will be a huge advocate for using marijuana for ppl suffering with this torment. There has been suicides and other terrible things that ppl struggling with this problem, if these victims could have smoked, they would still be here with us today! Keep spreading the word!

I gonna say this out of pure honesty! no joke.. SEX, SEX cures RLS! like I said im not even kidding! you already said you picked up exercising and it helped.. from what ive been told RLS can be caused by a few things, anxiety, pent up sexual frustration, excitement, fear... Sex is def the answer ;) If you ever need any help with that >=) hit me up...

^^ Im sorry and id like to retract part of my last post.
If everyone reading this new me it wouldnt be an issue, im a joker and a ball buster all day, however Its all and ALWAYS in fun! I love to tease taunt and all that but after re reading the subject matter and my post I feel like I might have crossed the boundry, as this is a real condition for you. so Id like to apologize, whether accepted or not, I still offer it to "ms. fox".

But on a side note,... I was dead serious about what i claimed! sex really IS a great way alleviate RLS, two of my ex's experienced this condition and everytime, it would be gone after all was said and done. that's my 2 cents ;)
best of luck...

I haven't been diagnosed with RLS, but I HAVE to shake my legs at night when I lay down to sleep. I've always thought I had RLS. Getting high does help a lot with controling RLS because it induces sleep quickly. I used to smoke weed every night to fall asleep. The nights I didn't, I wouldn't be able to sleep because I couldn't stop shaking my legs. Recently however, I've been taking Melatonin pills, they also induce sleep and I dont feel the urge to shake my legs at all.

I use iron pills, when taken with warm water, my legs stop shaking in 15 to 20 minutes. Study Links Restless Legs Syndrome to Poor Iron Uptake in the Brain : National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

I have RLS, and I also use medical marijuana for other reasons. Marijuana does not help my RLS at all. It does help you go to sleep faster, so if I am really tired, it can help a little. But if I'm not dead tired, it actually makes my RLS a bit worse.

Unfortunately marijuana brings on my RLS symtoms earlier in the evening than ususal and sometimes even in the daytime. It is not effective for me. Wish it were.

is this where your legs feel real restless like at night when you are trying to go to bed but you cant go to sleep because your legs feel real weak and tired and as much as you want to go to sleep you cant? if so i get that sometimes and like you i havent found anything that fixes and its the worst feeling ever!

Hi anyone that reads this, regarding cannabis for RLS.
I have smoked cannabis since i was in my early teens and are now 51.
In my experience it can definately help with restless legs.
BUT.
if you are a regular smoker it can worsen the symtoms.
The best way is to only use it when you are ready to go to sleep or if the symtoms are unbearable, early evenings are ok but then you may need another dose before you go to sleep.
My doctor has tried over a dozen different medicines on me, what i am currently on is Sinemet, which is used for parkinsons desiese has been the best so far but does have unwanted side effects.
Unfortunately i live in a country where cannabis is illegal and is not available as a prescription drug, and cost doesnt allow me to have a regular supply and growing enough of my own is difficult for many reasons.
so yes definatly try it, for first time user try a strong strain of indica.
try only 2 or 3 puffs to start with this should be enough, you will experience some paranoia,but if you are in bed that cool you wont die, dont freak out just go with it.
Hope this helps

this question deserves another look!

Howdy... not sure if anyone still looks at this thread or not, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents, since I know how incredibly uncomfortable RLS can be, as I've had it on and off for years. Here are a couple of observations I'd like to offer out:

When I am experiencing a period of RLS I have found that high CBD strains (which I use sometimes to manage back pain) before bed actually aggravate it. I have read that for some people higher quantities of CBD can make you feel very 'alert' and I have noticed that myself, so I stay away from it before bedtime as I feel like it stimulates the nerve feeling. I have also noticed that Indica-dominant strains aggravate things as well... which is unfortunate since it otherwise helps me sleep.

On a non-cannabis note, I want to just impart something that I have found works well for me. I read somewhere that being deficient in the entire B-complex vitamin range can contribute to RLS, and it occurred to me that the periods when I was not experiencing RLS coincided with my daily intake of an Emergen-C packet (you see these at Walgreens etc.) These packets contain the full B-complex vitamins along with Potassium and Folic acid etc, and since I've started taking one again daily, my RLS has disappeared again. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I'll take it!

My wife uses purple kush for her rls. We grow it and dry it and crush it real fine like an mmj flour and adds it to the banana bread she is making. She eats a piece about an hour before bed and sleeps like a baby. She used to keep me awake all night moving. Now I too sleep like a baby. Just my observations and thoughts on this.

Hi, ive had RLS since childhood. My mom also had it, and she got diazepam for that.
She used to give me a quarter of a whole tablet on 5-10 mgs, the first times it did help.
But nowadays no tablet in the world would help me, i tried them all, as a rule they only make the RLS worse. The one thing that helped me through the years and made me sleep like a baby is cannabis.

Unfortunately this has brought on several drawbacks in the form of making me an outcast in society, my family turned agains me and all of that.

I have smoked for 30 years on and off, everytime i have stopped i got the RLS back, so keeping a job or getting an education has been hard for me, either i´m "the junkie" or im constantly in need of more sleep.
O, how i hate those nights, kicking, turning and hurting myself.. This has been a cause for depression long time.

Opiates did help me for a while, but im not so keen on getting hooked on such things too.
So i stuck to cannabis, kept myself far from taking a job.
But recently i tried to get a university degree, it was too stressful for me so i dropped out, either i was not getting the sleep needed, or im too drowsy the day after to keep up with the pace of the studies.

But now i reached a point where i wanna try and find another way.
Lately two nights in a row i tried levodopa (since theres a connection between low dopaminelevels and RLS) this should work and it has so far, i need to get up and refill halfway through the night though and also mix with 5htp , b6 and taurine (to avoid depleting those).
I have also ordered some melatonin, which i heard somewhere that ex cannabis-users would need to get some sleep. In this thread someone had success with melatonin too, so i got good hope for that.

Of course there are other reasons ive been using cannabis for, but this is the main reason i´ve always fell back to it. RLS sucks! If this new programme of mine fails i´ll just go back to smoking my "goodnight-joint".
No way im gonna spent my life dreading to go to bed, im quite angry with the politics making it illegal and making me a social paria.

:peace:

I have a sneaking suspicion that either I have RLS and should bring it up with a doctor if I ever get insurance in this god forsaken no-medicaid-for-poor-people state, but anywho, I have found that cannabis pretty much sometimes helps and sometimes doesn't. Most of the symptoms I'm aware of happen during the daytime, while sitting at computer. Sometimes, if I'm at the halfway point between medicated and not-quite-yet medicated, it'll sometime seem to amplify the problem, until I am "fully" medicated. Now, I don't mind being "fully" medicated one bit, but I don't want to build a tolerance, either. I really enjoy taking my medicine. ;) I also think, however, that coffee doesn't help make mine a scientific report. I drink a lot of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom