Rock wool and roots

durbankush26

Hi all i am growing in 6 inch rock wool rn and some of my plants went too big but the roots are growing out of the cubes already what should u do are the roots okay growing out of the cube and just into the flood tray?

I added hydroton pellets around the plants, which are in 6 inch rock wool cubes. That way the roots can expand. Plus, the humidity went way down and so did temps. Now in 35 to 40 rh, and 68 degrees all the time.

I'm in my 3rd run and putting clay pebbles around the cubes has definitely helped the root system.

How much do you fill the table with in litres??

Honestly I'm not sure. I run a 2x4 tray with a 25gal res. It's just what I have. I will be using it for a 4x4 soon but I like having about 20 gallons in it when the girls are drinking heavy to make sure the pump never gets dry. I will note that not only does the clay pebbles keep light off the roots but they also displace the amount of water needed to reach the return drain and hold a little moisture between waterings.

what was your yield like in just the cubes and did you use six inch as well?

Sorry durbankkush26, but I was referring to the roots on the table and not the rock wool as I don't use it at all.
I had roots on the table using nine inch square net pots and clay pebbles as the medium. I just now switched to cloth pots so I don't see roots anymore. As for the yield it's always different according to strain and number of plants along with trying different growing tactics.

Back
Top Bottom