Rocklin Makes Pot Ban Permanent

SmokeDog420

Though Rocklin officials expressed sympathy for medicinal marijuana patients last week, a temporary ban on pot shops in the city will become permanent next month.
City Council members voted 5-0 to permanently ban the commercial sale of marijuana within city limits, cementing into city code the temporary ordinance passed June 17. That ordinance was set to expire late this month, but members also voted to extend its shelf life until the permanent law goes into effect in late August.

The law does not address the possession or use of medicinal marijuana in Rocklin and also does not prevent sanctioned caregiving facilities from issuing the drug to patients.

At Tuesday's meeting, council members largely abandoned their earlier justifications of protecting Rocklin's family atmosphere and instead expressed support for patients.

They added, however, that no need has been demonstrated for a store in Rocklin.

"I want the people who need marijuana to get the marijuana, but I have not had letters and phone calls from people supporting opening a distribution center," Councilwoman Kathy Lund said. "I have had letters and phone calls from people who don't want it."

Officials argued that patients need to travel only a few miles to Roseville to obtain their medication from a shop in that city.

"We have a limited police force here. We don't have a lot of extra manpower to gamble" with potential problems, Councilman George Magnuson said.

"We have not shorted our citizens. Our citizens have the right to go to Roseville."

Source: Sacramento Bee (CA)
Author: Kim Minugh -- Bee Staff Writer
Published: Sunday, July 18, 2004
Copyright: 2004 The Sacramento Bee
Website: Northern California Breaking News, Sports & Crime | The Sacramento Bee

Back
Top Bottom