Rockypups 12/12 AK99 grow

Rockypup

Morning blokes! First time posting a journal on here! Hopefully I can get it all done before I go to work!

Here is my hydroponics grow for AK99, using 12/12 straight from the seed!

My setup!
It's an NFT (?) system that was designed extremely cheap. I bought 1 plastic storm gutter - cut it in half - and cut holes big enough for a net, rockwool, and hydroton. Using both halves, I elevated one end of the gutters only .5-1" higher than the other end, allowing the water to run down and back into the reservoir via gravity.

IMG_00014.JPG

The pump was bought at lowes, it's always running 24/7 as the system continually recirculates.

I'm using 2 lights, one is a 8 light florescent fixture - aprox. 400 watts and the other is a 400 watt HPS.

I'm using a tri-meter to keep track of everything, adjusted regularly.

The nutes I have are the tri-GH nutes and Florobloom along with Hygrozyme, Superthrive, and the PH adjusters.

The seeds
The website describes my seeds as such:
AK99
(AK47 x Cinderella 99 )

Indoor
This is an F1 cross of Brother's Grimm Cinderella99 and AK47 from Serious Seeds. These are both legendary strains and we would expect a cross between them to be something special. I've been growing out some of these and they really do seem to be special. It's very nice smoke. The high is intense but not as trippy and speedy as C-99. The smell is mild not strong, it seems to take after the C-99 father there. It smells faintly of skunk with a hint of spice. The yield on this one is good. I got over 5 oz each of dried buds from the ones I grew out.

Indoor flowering: 8 weeks.

The Journal
I began germinating the seeds 12/15/07. They were put in a damp paper towel, which was put into a bag, which was put on a plate with a bowl on top for an "oven" effect. I put the seeds in my closet where I turned on my 75 watt light on above the ceramic dishes -- it created the oven effect and on 12/17/07 I had all 10 seeds germinated :) .

They were put straight into rockwool, and the rockwool went straight into my system. I left the light off an extra day then put the florescents very close on 12/12 until they sprouted.

December 26th
All 10 have sprouted and they had a strange 'twist' to the beginning leaves. I didn't think much of it but asked on here anyway. The PPM is around 300-350 at this time, PH around 5.6, temp stays around 75 degrees inside and the water is usually around 70.

There were two that sprouted earlier than the rest and have stretched a good amount, the others are a few days behind and aren't quite as tall.

IMG_00024.JPG

IMG_00044.jpg

January 9th
The one thing I can't stop thinking about... sex. These plants are sexing it up pretty good! I had 3 plants show their sex at this point, all 3 were female!
I experienced some serious purple stem about a week back on every plant, after bumping my nutes they recovered in aprox. 3 days. Otherwise, no nute burn... nothing... they are growing green and they're growing good.

A few days after I had all of my plants sexed, 3 male, 7 female. And I took pics!

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_00731.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_00751.JPG

(all 5 on right are fems, then it goes male, female, male, female, male... males are dead now)

The nutes here are around 800-900ppm and they are loving it. PH is still around 5.6 though it's increasing more quickly the bigger they get... gotta keep knocking it down. I had some problems with the temps - we ran out of gas and ran out of heat so I had to use electric heaters all over the house - It got down to 56*F at the lowest point in there... slightly stressful.

January 21st
These suckers have grown... alot! Well, the two giant ones that had the head start are a good 2x bigger than all of the other ones. I hope the others bush out more or something...
The biggest plant has started developing mad crazy bud sites... everywhere. The 2nd biggest has worried more about growing branches first, then budding. The others are short and becoming bushy. I should really LST them ... but... i'm lazy... and so are all the rest of you :Rasta:

IMG_00851.JPG

IMG_00831.JPG

IMG_00842.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_00881.JPG

IMG_00911.JPG

IMG_00921.JPG

Daytime temp is around 68*f-80*f
Nighttime temp is 74*F
Water temp is around 68*-70*F
PPM is at 1330
PH is around 5.6

The PPM is too high, alot of plant leaves are darker green and horn curl down at the tip slightly. I'm just letting the water run out via the plants then thinning the solution out... I just flushed it... and they aren't hurting too bad. There's no nute burn so I'm not really in any hurry to drop the PPM. These plants take everything I throw at them in stride.

That's about it, I had to play catch up. I'll update her in about a week, feel free to ask Qs.

Nice job, Rockypups! First time I've seen gutters used, but think it's ingenious. Where'd you get the idea? So you have grow rocks on top of 4" rockwool squares, correct? Are the rocks to keep the wool from algae growth?

I'm definitely going to follow this one. Looks like and awesome start. + rep for ingenuity!

Thanks for the super praise! I was hoping I was doing everything correctly! The super horns on the new leaves (which i only noticed in the pics) is too much N correct?

The gutter pipes idea came from a friend, it's quite cheap and extremely expandable. Get this - half of a gutter is the same length as my florescent fixture -- 4 feet. Expanding is EASY - just get a gutter pipe joint (like 2 bucks) and add on a whole extra section (or 2... or 4) and put another light ontop, you can have a giant row of lights and pipes. OR you can get a 90* elbow and turn and snake your system all around!

I made small square cuts in the piping, used reflective water tape and mesh screening to make the 'net' -- which covers the sides but not the bottom. The rockwool sits in the hole, touching the bottom (so that it contacts the water trickling by), and then the hydroton is packed around it. The roots eventually grow out of the netting either through holes or by pushing it away -- the crammed area in the piping may seem like it inhibits root growth, but they just grow sideways and everywhere -- making the plant more stable.

I should have light proofed the white plastic on the gutters better... but i'm not worried about algae. The hygrozyme protects the roots, and the reservoir is completely 100% blacked out. Chances are the moving water through the piping won't develop algae, if it does -- 1. killed in the dark reservoir 2. hygrozyme.

They use the square plastic fence post that Home Depot and Lowes sells around here for these ghetto NFT set ups. They work really nice, are thicker and are closed all the way around. They are a little bigger around than the gutter legs your using which allowed a 4 inch round container to be used instead of having to make your own container.
RockyPup, you might need to consider a trellis or some kind of support to help hold your buds up once they get bigger. It's easier to plan and install one now while you still have the room rather than wait for the time you really need it and fight the colas.lol The algea may not grow in the res but it can and will grow on the walls in the opaque gutter. Once algea is present suffocation starts. The best way to help prevent algea is to keep the res cool and light out. Around 65 to 68 degrees is a great res temp IMO and the cooler water will hold more o2. Also changing your solution out and flushing things well on a weekly basis helps control algea IMO.

"AK99
(AK47 x Cinderella 99 )

Indoor
This is an F1 cross of Brother's Grimm Cinderella99 and AK47 from Serious Seeds. These are both legendary strains and we would expect a cross between them to be something special. I've been growing out some of these and they really do seem to be special. It's very nice smoke. The high is intense but not as trippy and speedy as C-99. The smell is mild not strong, it seems to take after the C-99 father there. It smells faintly of skunk with a hint of spice. The yield on this one is good. I got over 5 oz each of dried buds from the ones I grew out.

Indoor flowering: 8 weeks. "

The grow looks great. +rep. Unique idea. Id be careful with those fans set inbetween the two gutters. A leak could turn your grow room into a death trap. Electricity is a bitch. Ive been lit up a few times(and not in the good way). Best of luck! Im locked in.

RockyPup, you might need to consider a trellis or some kind of support to help hold your buds up once they get bigger. It's easier to plan and install one now while you still have the room rather than wait for the time you really need it and fight the colas.lol The algea may not grow in the res but it can and will grow on the walls in the opaque gutter. Once algea is present suffocation starts. The best way to help prevent algea is to keep the res cool and light out. Around 65 to 68 degrees is a great res temp IMO and the cooler water will hold more o2. Also changing your solution out and flushing things well on a weekly basis helps control algea IMO.

I'm not really worried about support, if the buds get too heavy I'll support them down the road... :)
The res is 100% blocked off from light and within that temp range you said :)

Fine Grow, innovative (for me at least) +Rep

Only thing I can add is stretch. If you can get the lights down, or plants up, it will help.

How much of a breeze is in there?

Actually the later photos look like the main stems are pretty good now ;-)

Thanks Boss! A couple stretched (the big ones) when they first arrived because I used both the HPS and florescent... then realizing it was useless to have both on when they were so young, I turned off the HPS and put the florescent fixture inches away from the seedlings - it stopped the stretch. But honestly - I wish all of mine had stretched!!! When doing a 12/12 you want as much size as you can!

The grow looks great. +rep. Unique idea. Id be careful with those fans set inbetween the two gutters. A leak could turn your grow room into a death trap. Electricity is a bitch. Ive been lit up a few times(and not in the good way). Best of luck! Im locked in.

If these things leak, the fan is the least of my concern... the rest of the houses wiring is what I would freak on. But these are sealed plastic gutters, unless i drop a sautering iron on them... I don't think the water will burn a hole :)

I checked them out today... since my last pics the one big one has 2x the bud size and the 2nd largest has more bud sites, but smaller looking buds. The smaller branches are starting to reach the light from the middle. I really hope these things bush out better... they are kind of small and skrawny... I wonder how much they'll yield if this is their max height.

PICS ARE COMING -- being processed

You can see an improvement on the N toxicity - I flushed the system to about 900-1000ppm then added the Bloom chemicals (from the 3 pack general hydroponics nutes) which contains zero N -- bumped it up to about 1250ppm and they've been doing great since! They actually show no signs of stress... at all... it's amazing! I think I'm going to go ballsy and take the PPM up to 1400! I'm going to try and find the peak amount that these girls need.

Here's the pics I took yesterday - I hate having to wait for approval to have my pics available...

jan232.jpg

jan231.jpg

Those two were of the big plant that is budding like mad compared to the rest

jan233.jpg

jan234.jpg

These are of the other big one, this one worried more about branching out than budding... I wonder if this one will be the biggest one in the end.

Here's my question, 2 are quite large, obviously the ones I would have cloned from. The other 5 aren't quite as large, they're more like half the size... about as tall as a coke can. Should I expect one giant cola from the smaller ones?

Looking awesome. What are you tying your girls down with? I noticed in the one shot and it looks like twine but im not sure.

It's twine :) got lots of it.

Question for the gurus!
6 of my plants are exhibiting too much N still, dark green leaves, curling down etc
1 of my plants isn't getting enough... sadly... it's the 2nd largest one. I noticed 2 or 3 of the first fan leaves (like the ones with 3 fingers..) have gone yellow and lifeless and the plant exhibits light green leaves uniformly. So... what do I do? Am I to assume that the 1 plant is screwed wanting more and the other 6 aren't? The problem with too much N doesn't seem to be doing the plants much harm... while the leaves are deep dark green and curl wierd ... they are all budding much much bigger and better than the N difficient plant....
ugh

ideas? i'm thinking too much

Back
Top Bottom