ROM II - The Perfect Environment / PC Grow

SixthEddie

Hello :420:!

ROM II — The Perfect Environment / PC Grow

My goal is to set a guideline for a perfectly controlled environment to grow your medicine with the convenience of complete stealth.

This is a continuation on a previous project of mine. I found an old 1994 server tower on Craigslist and stripped it. Had 1, 80mm intake fan, 2 80mm outtake fans, and another 80mm fan blowing onto the plants. I decided to use CFL's for convenience, I used 3 23watt CFL's. 5600k for veg and 1, 5600k and 2, 2300K CFL's for flowering. Used a previous strain I was growing, Star Dawg, picked the best of six to be my first PC grow. To my amazement it was insanely easy to manage, the watering came every three days, the temps were perfect, and the only thing I couldn't really control was RH. It varied depending on the outside environment, next to the window on a not hot day could get 40-50% and in another part of the room sit on a solid 30% for flower. I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of the grow, and this is what led me to this continuing project.
Here are just a few pictures from my first PC grow, ROM:

20150307_141207.jpg
20150313_133310.jpg
20150407_212759.jpg
20150418_213754.jpg
20150504_220946.jpg
20150504_220830.jpg

The other day I found another great deal on craigslist. It was for another PC case, this one was 4 inches longer but ½ an inch shorter. It came with 3, 120mm fans, a fan speed controller working, with 3 probes and a solid case. Brought it home and quickly stripped her of all the un-needed junk.

20150505_215507.jpg
20150505_210748.jpg
20150505_210732.jpg

The other day I also built a hydroponic system in the same size bucket I'm currently using. It has a 8" air stone that runs across the entire bottom of the bucket. I am using a 44 GPH EcoAir pump. Wanted to run a 134 GPH 2 hose to 2" 6 inch air stones just for overkill, but when I saw the size of the 2 hose pump I knew it wasn't practical for the size of the PC. Also put 3 coats on the bucket to stop any light leaks.

20150504_142842.jpg
20150504_142852.jpg
20150505_151524.jpg

A side note, running the hydroponic system is going to cost me an inch or two since with soil it sat into the bucket and allowed me to bend the stem under the ropes running along of the bucket.
This will be my first hydroponic grow, but I am eager and want the perfect environment so that all I have to do is focus on PH balancing and proper feeding. If all else fails I will resort back to soil, but I can't wait to see the explosive growth that comes with hydro.

I am undecided whether I will be running Autos or F1 seed and flipping to flower quickly since I have limited space inside the PC.

This grow will not be immediate, as I am moving across the country shortly and will have to stop my grows for less than a month which isn't too long. For now this will thread will be the completion of this PC Grow Box. I am more than happy to answer any and all questions. Let's talk micro growing. Shared knowledge is the best knowledge.

Over the next week or so I will be completing the new case.

List of objectives:
- Mylar Wrap
- Walls
- Power Supply
- Light Fixture
(CFL's / LED's)
- Intake Fan
- SCROG Screen
- Carbon Filters
- Fan Screens
- CO2

Just a list off the top of my head, more to come!

Had some progress today, it was sorta counter productive as I see I may need to change original ideas. I used insulation foam walls for building the fake walls for the front and back of the PC case that will eventually make the inside of the case sealed and allow air flow as I would like.

Tried using some insulation foam board at 1/2 inch to not waste much space.. it works but I may change it. Here's some pictures,

20150506_144326.jpg
20150506_144229.jpg

Also made a CFL light bar and I now realize I have some more thinking to do.

20150506_144356.jpg

Power supply was ordered, only $15, and will run the fan controller and fans flawlessly. Tomorrow is somewhat of a day off for me so I will hopefully be putting in some goo work tomorrow.. now time to smoke a few bowls and contemplate what to do!

Okay things are starting to work out!

Decided to go with Formular board, another type of insulation. It's a 1/2 inch thick but allowed me to mount the fan for the front panel and it's solid. Installed fan in front panel secured with electrical tape on both sides and cut slots into the board for the wires to discreetly go. Spray painted side facing out to hold a stealth from the front view. Also mylared the top of case.

20150507_155617.jpg

20150507_155602.jpg

20150507_163009.jpg

ok, cheers to ya ed,, good stuff .,,, agin,,

have you seen the power bar with lights hooked into it? there are connectors one can buy that have a prong plug on one side and a screw in on the other,, you screw the cfl's into them then plug into a power bar,, looks exactly like what you made,, but maybe easier??

cheers ed

Thank you!

ok, cheers to ya ed,, good stuff .,,, agin,,

have you seen the power bar with lights hooked into it? there are connectors one can buy that have a prong plug on one side and a screw in on the other,, you screw the cfl's into them then plug into a power bar,, looks exactly like what you made,, but maybe easier??

cheers ed

Yes I have a ton of those and it's a good option but I would need 2 extension cords to evenly spread the cfls across the box and it's gonna create more bundles of wires whIch I have to much of already... I might actually be going to a 100w hps which would solve all these problems together, not entirely sure yet.. but thanks I like the idea!

Here's some updates from this mornings work...

Because of this gap the fake wall I'm making had to be cut in half to fit this. It was a pain in the ass but thankfully this foam was forgiving!

20150508_112728.jpg

20150508_112715.jpg

And here is the mylar walls up with fans installed!

20150508_130439.jpg

20150508_130447.jpg

The power supply for the fans and speed controller should be here today or tomorrow!

one thing i am just going to add because i spent a lot of time getting advice from folks,, allienpus especially,, and,, just this,,

electricity is nothing to mess with,, just sayin,, and not because i see anything wrong,, just sayin,, cheers

one thing i am just going to add because i spent a lot of time getting advice from folks,, allienpus especially,, and,, just this,,

electricity is nothing to mess with,, just sayin,, and not because i see anything wrong,, just sayin,, cheers

When I wired my first pc that was probably the first time I split and wire nutted connections and I was so worried about something going wrong. It's not too hard though, with this PC there are 2 support bars in the middle and at the top,

20150505_215507.jpg

And they stick out maybe 1/4 an inch, and I'm tucking all the wiring behind the top one. Didn't plan it, just saw some wires get stuck back there and I was like, damn this is a good spot. Haha

those electrical connections can arc to the case,, can be a problem,, just sayin

Carbon filters! Took forever to decide on the slimmest option that I really liked. Found these small jewelry boxes that fit the 120mm fan almost perfectly, cut the bottom out to the shape of the fan, then wrapped with a panty hose around. Didn't add carbon yet because I'm not gonna use it immediately. Would fill with activated carbon before tying and cutting panty hose.

20150509_175516.jpg

20150509_175613.jpg

It's almost done!

It's pretty much all built, I will be changing a few items for convince and for my entertainment. The fans that came with the case are nice and have kept the case at 71 to 73 degreeso after an hour running the 4, 23 watt cfls. They are 120mm fans and I don't know their cfm. 1 is intake and 2 are exhaust. I will be upgrading the top fan to a 130 cfm case fan. It's overkill I know but I want to make sure I can completely control the temperature when I want too. Also the carbon filters don't have activated carbon in them because I'm not using the case right away. Also may be changing them to carbon pads and a cover to slim up the space as these are a tad chunky.

20150512_133028.jpg

20150512_133133.jpg

20150512_133241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom