Ron Paul

Weed420

This is the only the only congressman than unequivocally and repeatedly has stated his case on the drug war.
C/P
Ron Paul
Prisonplanet
Tuesday, March 31, 2009

We have recently heard many shocking stories of brutal killings and ruthless violence related to drug cartels warring with Mexican and US officials. It is approaching the fever pitch of a full-blown crisis. Unfortunately, the administration is not likely to waste this opportunity to further expand government. Hopefully, we can take a deep breath and look at history for the optimal way to deal with this dangerous situation, which is not unprecedented.

Alcohol prohibition in the 1920’s brought similar violence, gangs, lawlessness, corruption and brutality. The reason for the violence was not that making and selling alcohol was inherently dangerous. The violence came about because of the creation of a brutal black market which also drove profits through the roof. These profits enabled criminals like Al Capone to become incredibly wealthy, and militantly defensive of that wealth. Al Capone saw the repeal of Prohibition as a great threat, and indeed smuggling operations and gangland violence fell apart after repeal. Today, picking up a bottle of wine for dinner is a relatively benign transaction, and beer trucks travel openly and peacefully along their distribution routes.

Similarly today, the best way to fight violent drug cartels would be to pull the rug out from under their profits by bringing these transactions out into the sunlight. People who, unwisely, buy drugs would hardly opt for the back alley criminal dealer as a source, if a coffeehouse-style dispensary was an option. Moreover, a law-abiding dispensary is likely to check ID’s and refuse sale to minors, as bars and ABC stores tend to do very diligently. Think of all the time and resources law enforcement could save if they could instead focus on violent crimes, instead of this impossible nanny-state mandate of saving people from themselves!

If these reasons don’t convince the drug warriors, I would urge them to go back to the Constitution and consider where there is any authority to prohibit private personal choices like this. All of our freedoms – the freedom of religion and assembly, the freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, the right to be free from unnecessary government searches and seizures – stem from the precept that you own yourself and are responsible for your own choices. Prohibition laws negate self-ownership and are an absolute affront to the principles of freedom. I disagree vehemently with the recreational use of drugs, but at the same time, if people are only free to make good decisions, they are not truly free. In any case, states should decide for themselves how to handle these issues and the federal government should respect their choices.

My great concern is that instead of dealing deliberatively with the actual problems, Congress will be pressed again to act quickly without much thought or debate. I can’t think of a single problem we haven’t made worse that way. The panic generated by the looming crisis in Mexico should not be redirected into curtailing more rights, especially our second amendment rights, as seems to be in the works. Certainly, more gun laws in response to this violence will only serve to disarm lawful citizens. This is something to watch out for and stand up against. We have escalated the drug war enough to see it only escalates the violence and profits associated with drugs. It is time to try freedom instead.

" If people are only free to make good decisions , they are not truely free ". This statement brings to light a truth that most people refuse to deal with . Americans are NOT free ! We have more laws , rules , and restrictions than any other nation on the planet . Amid all the control ..the government continues to reiterate over and over how free we are , as they continue to apply more and more control over every facet of the lives of the population. Dr. Ron is the only candidate that I've seen in 50 years that actually stood for freedom. Hopefully after this 4 year fiasco , America will awaken to the fact that individual freedom in this nation has evaporated like a fart in the wind and elect a President and congress that actually stands for Liberty. ....:smokin:

Libertarianism is the answer.

If we would have elected Ron Paul, when the President was asked about the possibility of legalizing Marijuana he wouldn't have laughed and made a crack about "not sure what this says about our online audience haha"

Less Government is the answer

But also you have to remember his other beliefs. I'm in total agreement with them but a lot of people may not like it.
If he became president and was able to convert congress to his beliefs, EVERY federal program would be gone except a defensive military and our foreign affairs dept.
Everything else would fall to the states to decide if they want it.

I'm quite familiar and you're right the majority of the Federal Government would be disbanded and the initial principle of the articles of confederation (that the states would differentiate and find the best methods) would resume.

States that wanted to legalize pot would do so on their own authority and the plant lovers could demonstrate their support by moving there.

I'm more than happy to try a strict constitutionalist approach

I like it too. It gives you the ability to move to another state if you don't like the laws in your state.

But also you have to remember his other beliefs. I'm in total agreement with them but a lot of people may not like it.
If he became president and was able to convert congress to his beliefs, EVERY federal program would be gone except a defensive military and our foreign affairs dept.
Everything else would fall to the states to decide if they want it.
"Everything else would fall to the States " As authorized by the people in the Constitution .
" We the people " wrote the Constitution to set limitations and restrictions on federal government power . It's way past the time that the government adheres to the law . The several states created the federal government and they retain the ability to dimantle it in order to conform to the law of the land ( constitution ).
:smokin: It's long over due that the feds become the servants and cease being the master.

It is so good to see people that think the same way I do, I thank you all. to the one s that think differently than us, you are wrong, but I respect your opinion.

I doubt any federal changes will come in my lifetime but its still worth pursueing. If people continue to get disgusted with our present form of leadership it will change. But I think the idea of libertarianism scares a lot of people. They think all these government programs would disappear, which is really scary for liberals. But they wouldn't disappear, they would just be taken over at the state level where it could be managed much easier.

He was on CNN this morning,
come to think of it, he on now more than during the campaign,
speaking on health care reform.
I didn't see it all so not sure if he brought up the 5000$ a month average for Meds bills,
which the legalization of cannabis could cut in half or reduce to near 0.

The other reason I want to move to the Texas coast, to be in his district :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom