Room is overheating - Anyone else using cool tubes

xcalibur25

My room is 10x9.5x9. I am running 4 1000w with cool tubes. i am removing hot air from the lights and also have two 275 cfm bringing in fresh air. problem is my heat issue is at around 90-93 with the lights on and 72-74 with the lights off. what can i do to bring the heat down to manageable numbers with lights on??

Your room is 900 ft3. You need to exchange the volume of your room 1x per minute, assuming your intake charge air ambient temps are 72-74 as you state, to cool the room to roughly that temp. So, double your intake fan volume or add 4000btu of AC/1000w light.

My question would that be enough to cool the room with fresh air. I also go an 8" vortex cooling my lights. My set up now it gets pretty hi.

My question would that be enough to cool the room with fresh air. I also go an 8" vortex cooling my lights. My set up now it gets pretty hi.

It depends on the ambient temp of the charge air you're using to cool the room. If the outside air (charge air) you're bringing in is 80°f, & you want temps under 90°, you're screwed.
Look, air cooling hoods is usually good for a -10° mean difference in LIT room temp over non-air cooling.
Meaning, ONLY, that you'll lose about 10°, max, by running air cooling in an average 12'x12'x9' room with 4000w HID lighting.
If your charge air is 70°f or higher, you probably won't be able to cool 4000w using air exchange, & will have to use an AC unit. To clarify: You really need charge (outside) air to be 10-20°f COOLER than you need the lit room to be for air exchange to work. (Example: 50°f charge air via an 800 cfm vortex fan will cool a 4000w, 900ft3 to 70°f room using a TMP-DNE thermostatic controller very easily, whereas 70°f charge air via the same 800 cfm will struggle & fail under the same heat load. You'd need to bring in roughly 1600 cfm to get mean interior temps to 70°f.)
Rule of thumb: 4000btu AC per 1000w light. And that's window mount AC units-portable, rolling AC units require 6000btu/1000w light because they are inefficient as fuck.
BOTTOM LINE: With 4000w, unless you're in the arctic... Go with AC.

Back
Top Bottom