Root aphids in hydro - Any help?

BroDog

So after much research I decided to attack these things with Azamax!

I am in the middle of my 3rd week of flower so I don't want to use the foliar application, but I did add about 50 ml of Azamax to my 40 gallons of nutrient mix (so roughly 1.25 ml/gallon). My question is if this will be strong enough to rid myself of these little fu*kers? I have read and read and read and it seems like the only way to really get rid of them is to use multiple products, so I was also considering a very mild pyrethrum bomb.. is it too late in flower to do this?

I plan to run this azaamx/nutrient mix till monday (its friday) and then empty out my reservoir, do my mid-bloom clearex flush (which will hopefully remove a lot of the dead root aphids), and then refill my reservoir with nutrients and azamax again and let this run for a week. After that I plan on switching back to my normal nutrient mix (no Azamax). What do you guys think?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

:thanks:

Re: Root aphids in hydro.. Any help?

Not sure if my post will help (other than to let you know you're not alone in fighting these f'ers!)

Up until a few weeks ago, I never had (or even heard of) root aphids...now I feel like I know my little enemy quite well :cool:

Anyhow, albeit you're using different manufacturers, I'm basically using the same strategy; **results 3-5 weeks TBD**

1) I first drained the 40g reservoir & added fresh H20
2) I added 2oz per Gallon of SNS-203 (all natural product)
3) I ran the pumps for 1hrs
4) I then added 2tsps per/gallon of FloraKleen
5) I continued to run the pumps another 1hr
6) Did a complete drain
7) Refilled again & added normal nutrients
8) I also sprayed the stems of each plant with SNS-203 using sprayer (same ratio)

This knocked out ~95% of the 'flyers' and ~98% of those on the roots

Since these guys are asexual (and mega-hard to get rid of completely) I did some additional research and found several great reviews regarding Bayer Adv. Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed (for the 1.47% Imidacloprid)

So tonight (3-days later), I added 5oz (for 40/Gallon reservoir) of the Bayer (with half the normal nutrients and fresh H20)

At this point, I'm at a wait-and-see, but will post a follow-up in a few days to let you know how the plants are looking and to hopefully never see another aphid around again! :tokin:

Any feedback from anyone who comes across this for both our sakes would be most welcomed!

Cheers & Peace!

Root aphids are voracious eaters, and are known to be persistent, so it requires some discipline to eliminate them. Use Azatrol. Start with 1-2 gallons of Reverse Osmosis (purified) water and add Azatrol (1-2 oz. for every 20 gallons in the reservoir.) Mix it well inside the bucket, and then add the concentrated solution to the reservoir. Mix into your reservoir. Example: In a 20 gallon reservoir one would mix 1-2 oz. of Azatrol in a separate container of 1-2 gallons of water and then add that concentrate into the reservoir. Mix well. Use every week in hydro or soil (1-2 oz.to 20 gallons) and then after control is established, maybe every other week as a preventative. We recommend using with Patrol for an even more lethal combination. In the reservoir Azatrol may raise the ppms by 100-200 ppms but Azatrol is all OMRI organic stuff and it is not a fertilizer, so it's not that big of a deal if the ppms are raised. Every garden is different so monitor your plants and adjust if necessary.

:morenutes: After ingesting Azatrol an insect can't feed. They feel full all the time. The insects cannot shed their skin to molt, and they can't form a pupae. Ultimately the insects end up paralyzed and they die.

What up bro I got videos on YouTube showing infestation and a final cure ...first you have to understand these lil fckrs and how they operate they give life birth to prego females so the only answer is complete annihilation ...do a root stench combining néem oil botinigaurd pyrethrum coco wet in a five gallon bucket submerge roots for one twenty seconds no more ...you will burn roots...then dunk in pure h20... Then run pyreth- it in your Rez for two weeks and spray entire plant with sns.203 also use two pyrethrum foggeers spread apart two days....hope that helps sorry so short and misspelled using my phone,....

Only way to get rid Of them is to kill the youngest generation and prevent future larva, I too have had my share of these lil "angels of death". The azalea is ok for controlling/eliminating a food portion of the infestation, unfortunately not all will be gotten. Within a week or 2 if their r aim stragglers infestation will be at all time high. Multiple drenches with the azamax are necessary. But doin ur own preventative work will help much more in keeping the aphids away. First the live in moist areas not in the water itself, logically they don't have gills so an over flow of wate inthe res would help put a damper unless u have a flood and drain or ebb n flow, then leas frequent watering and more time for roots to dry will help too. Also hydroton, organic diotemacious earth, not the pool kind and sand are great preventatives of root aphids. The DE are like lil razor blades when the mature females fly n land at the base of the plant, when they try to get in they are shredded alive by the DE, think of it as swimming through a sea of fiberglass. Hope u get things all taken care of sorry for the ramble

Cut the ppm to 60% of regular nutes when you are adding in neem products. And then add h2o2 to the res from now on. A lil bit every time.

What up bro I got videos on YouTube showing infestation and a final cure ...first you have to understand these lil fckrs and how they operate they give life birth to prego females so the only answer is complete annihilation ...do a root stench combining néem oil botinigaurd pyrethrum coco wet in a five gallon bucket submerge roots for one twenty seconds no more ...you will burn roots...then dunk in pure h20... Then run pyreth- it in your Rez for two weeks and spray entire plant with sns.203 also use two pyrethrum foggeers spread apart two days....hope that helps sorry so short and misspelled using my phone,....

hey man, this post is a bit old however I'm doing some searching on how to get rid of these fucking aphids!

how much neem oil, and botaniguard pyrethrin do you use? also how long do you dunk? one, or twenty seconds?

thanks man

noob

I use AzaMax for my indoor soil-bound plants, during veg I'll go ahead and spray with a fairly hefty (5ml/28oz) dose to discourage the fliers from these plants; In flower, I'll mix up a root bath with 20-30ml/gal (this is quite a bit, especially at $20/4oz) but once a week treatments seem to keep things under control.

I think the biggest problem people probably have with AzaMax failing is they're either diluting it way too much to save a few bucks (not worth it vs. trashing your whole crop), or they're expecting it to be an instant and final fix for the problem. AzaMax doesn't kill on contact, it works by disrupting the hormones of the bugs, preventing them from feeding and molting, so it will usually take at least a few days to see results. Then you'll need to reapply as often as the new eggs hatch, usually once or twice a week, or you risk a whole new infestation.

promise-systemic-tried everything else. predatory mites work in coco-nothing else worked at all. -they lay 1-100 pregnant females a day-in the dwc lifecycle is shortened as well. i even dipped full pots of roots in 20% bleach, ozone, azomax, the rosmaric stuff, nothing worked, promise 1 day. never had one since.

I would nuke them with peroxide. I run a 50 gal RDWC and had all sorts of funkiness over the past seasons. If im on doubt I dilute a cup of 34% in 5 gallons of water and add it. Your plants can take more peroxide than you would expect. And it will kill everything that isn't supposed to be there... unfortunately even beneficial bacteria, so if you do use peroxide (H2O2) make sure you replace the beneficials like Flying Skull, Hydrogard, etc. Once the little bastards are all dead, flush, renute and carry on.

If you see your plants perk up with peroxide its very possible you have an insufficient air system. As H2O2 breaks down it turns into water and Oxygen. This excess of Oxygen MAY show in your plants. If this is the case I would upgrade the pump, shit-can the airstones and use a diffuser. Again my system is about 50 gallons i use a 80 liter linear pump and 2 12 inch defussers to feed 2 tubs. This IS overkill, but it works. I just finished 2 plants and harvested 27oz. The 16oz plant had buds that weren't as tight as they could have been... I also grew a clone in soil. If the buds were as tight as the clone it would have gone over 20oz. Air will also help you keep your roots free of pathogens. My point is I personally like a lot of air... it works. Of you have any more questions I'll try to help

Back
Top Bottom