Root Aphids?

derek910

Are these root aphids? I tried using peroxide, vinegar, and neem oil/soap spray. They seemed to be ineffective so then I sucked all of the mulch out with a vac and got rid of it. I sprayed the topsoil, branches, and outside of the pot with neem oil/soap spray. What should I do to make sure I got them all? And how do I prevent them?

BC881E0A-6942-47F8-849D-D08EB44BDD15.jpeg
C37D0B51-9F32-45AA-B448-324872D70D22.jpeg

Mulch removed

C89ADFA0-0490-403E-BD6E-0B6BC20D846A.jpeg

Please understand I’ve never had that particular variety of varmit before

but I’ve heard some use a layer of sand and/or Diamataceous Earth to combat critters in soil. DE is sharp & cuts up bugs. Also mosquito dunks kill certain larvae, dunks are poison bait rings for ponds etc come in a pack of 8 order from web or garden area at mart of wall, anywho 1/8th of dunk in 5 gallons water but gotta let dunk soak for 24hrs. before watering, read instructions etc. I use dunks to kill off my fungus gnats, no probs with using on weed. Hydrogen peroxide is used but it may kill off microbes in soil

would’ve thought the neem would nuke them. Catch some lady bugs for tent

No warranties, guarantees or refunds,,,,

Please understand I’ve never had that particular variety of varmit before

but I’ve heard some use a layer of sand and/or Diamataceous Earth to combat critters in soil. DE is sharp & cuts up bugs. Also mosquito dunks kill certain larvae, dunks are poison bait rings for ponds etc come in a pack of 8 order from web or garden area at mart of wall, anywho 1/8th of dunk in 5 gallons water but gotta let dunk soak for 24hrs. before watering, read instructions etc. I use dunks to kill off my fungus gnats, no probs with using on weed. Hydrogen peroxide is used but it may kill off microbes in soil

would’ve thought the neem would nuke them. Catch some lady bugs for tent

No warranties, guarantees or refunds,,,,
I think removing the mulch and spraying the neem oil took care of it. The neem oil takes a little while I guess. There aren’t any signs of them right now, but I’ll carefully monitor for them. Got about 3 weeks until harvest

Yes, they are (were!?) root aphids. Good thing you got rid of them.

I had them in my first grow - not nearly as bad in your pictures though. They (and some fungus gnats) came in with compost from the garden. I wanted to try neem oil, but it costs an arm and a leg around here. Thus I tried tobacco teas, chilli teas, diatomaceous earth and in the end i used H2O2. They had a setback after the teas, and after the DA and H2O2 they were gone.

I still use compost from the garden, but I soak it and heat it in a microwave oven to kill all pests. Since I started doing this I've had zero pests.

Try BT, not sure if it's effective on aphids, but it nails gnats and it's organic. I use crushed mosquito cakes mixed into the top 2 inches. Put it in when planting, and forget it. I shave the cake with a long decking screw. It doesn't take much. Perhaps 1/2 tsp for my 7 gallon grow bags.

Try BT, not sure if it's effective on aphids, but it nails gnats and it's organic. I use crushed mosquito cakes mixed into the top 2 inches. Put it in when planting, and forget it. I shave the cake with a long decking screw. It doesn't take much. Perhaps 1/2 tsp for my 7 gallon grow bags.
What is BT? I have mosquito dunks. Is that the same thing as mosquito cakes?

Back
Top Bottom