Root ball separation!

sadhu9

My plants are in 5 gallon net pots and unfortunatley i was checking ph & ppm levels when the root ball separated from the main stalk leaving a few roots hanging on! The plant of course withered so i started trimming the lower and outer leaves and stems, trying to push all nutrients to the main part of the plant. It has been a couple days and the plant is showing signs of coming back! Question: Should i totally cut back the plant to just the main stalk and some internodes or just leave it alone? I'm not a botonist and need some help!!!!!

Thanks

Since nobody else has chimed in, I'll throw out this:
Depends on the size of the plant, the roots need to be large enough to support the needs of the plant. I'd clone everything you can from it so that you at least have those, then cut what's not needed (lower fan leaves)

My guess is that the plant will see that it needs much more root and should focus it's effort on that, cutting back by taking clones and fan leaves should help it by reducing it's needs a bit.

If you have some Vit B around, maybe that'll help with some of the shock.

I've never lost a root ball, but have lost the top part of two plants. If you look at my grow journal, you'll see the one I call 'bushy'... that's one that lost the top and came back as a short/wide stout plant.

The other that lost the top, I cut off the dead part just a bit above where it went from alive to dead, and it came back very strong after about a week or so.

How big is the plant? Are you in veg or flower?

The plant is a clone that is about 18" tall and in a veg state. I have a mother plant that this clone came from so no problem with plants! It still seems somewhat alive and the stems of the plant are not as spongy as they were when this happened. Also, none of the leaves are brittle so I'm hoping for the best.
Thanks for your input. This is only my 3rd grow and there is always something new to learn!!!!!

If major stress was caused to the roots, I would not do anything other then give it time to heal. As mentioned b-vitamins are important for times like this.

The plant is resilient so it will bounce back, but cutting off limbs will only slow it down.

Back
Top Bottom