Root problems

growguro420

Hey guys so i took a peak at my roots as I usually do everyday and today I noticed some brown coloration and I'm not sure if it could be root rot or maybe just since the colour of my res water is brown they took on a similar one. What do you guys think... take a look
420-magazine-mobile284084483.jpg

That does look a little suspicious.

If it was my reservoir, I would:
  • Drain, scrub and refill
  • Start using HydroGuard (beneficial bacteria with a great rep for preventing/curing rot) immediately.
  • If it gets out of control before the HydroGuard shows up (and you have the other things in place), consider hydrogen peroxide (which I have never used and disapprove of using unless there is a very good reason).
  • Check and correct (i.e. lower if necessary) reservoir temperature (important).
  • Increase the circulation in the reservoir (add a in-aquarium circulation pump from the pet store) Also important. (And going forward, bear in mind that circulation decreases as root mass increases.)
The last one is from my days keeping planted tropical fish tanks which can have problems with cyanobacteria. Lots of circulation and oxygenation (I assume you already have an air stone) really helps to keep the baddies at bay.

If that is rot, it looks like you caught it early, but infections can get out of control fast, especially in warm, stagnant water, so act fast and strike hard.

That does look a little suspicious.

If it was my reservoir, I would:
  • Drain, scrub and refill
  • Start using HydroGuard (beneficial bacteria with a great rep for preventing/curing rot) immediately.
  • If it gets out of control before the HydroGuard shows up (and you have the other things in place), consider hydrogen peroxide (which I have never used and disapprove of using unless there is a very good reason).
  • Check and correct (i.e. lower if necessary) reservoir temperature (important).
  • Increase the circulation in the reservoir (add a in-aquarium circulation pump from the pet store) Also important. (And going forward, bear in mind that circulation decreases as root mass increases.)
The last one is from my days keeping planted tropical fish tanks which can have problems with cyanobacteria. Lots of circulation and oxygenation (I assume you already have an air stone) really helps to keep the baddies at bay.

If that is rot, it looks like you caught it early, but infections can get out of control fast, especially in warm, stagnant water, so act fast and strike hard.

If only this reply is the first thing people would see when they google'd root problems in hydroponics.

Hey guys so i took a peak at my roots as I usually do everyday and today I noticed some brown coloration and I’m not sure if it could be root rot or maybe just since the colour of my res water is brown they took on a similar one. What do you guys think... take a look
420-magazine-mobile284084483.jpg

Hi guro.
Solid advice from scientific above, I know you had res temperature in a quite good zone, so the air circulation seems more the issue.
Do you have an airstone, water pump in there?
Also when you shut the lid, there needs to be a little gap between the bottom of pot and water level, might need to lower water level a bit?. To airate the roots a bit.
The hydroguard science recomended is perfect.
Again they are not to bad, my roots go slightly brown over time.
If the roots are slimy at all, or start to get something slimy on them, then take to bathroom and rinse off.

I tired most of the suggestions here except for hydrogaurd.
Changed res water , cleaned the reservoir stuck then in roots seemed to white up and looked for healthy. I then added my micro nutes that turns the water brown and now so are my roots.
Could it be the colour of my res water possibly ?
Also Thxs for the help so far guys I appreciate it a lot 10x better than just googling this

Also took plants out to take a closer look at roots and it turns out it's not the roots that are brown it's this brown ish slime
Gonna have to order my self some hydrogaurd

What websites do you go to for hydrogaurd or a similar product ?

Amazon has absolutely everything a cannabis grower needs! (Which kinda cracks me up.) With my purchasing history there they are always flashing ads for LED grow lamps and such at me. Clearly their artificial intelligence has me flagged as a pot farmer.

Amazon has absolutely everything a cannabis grower needs! (Which kinda cracks me up.) With my purchasing history there they are always flashing ads for LED grow lamps and such at me. Clearly their artificial intelligence has me flagged as a pot farmer.)

Hahaha that's so true I'm always getting ads for grow lights and stuff thrown my way .
Any good brands besides hydrogaurd you'd suggest ?

Any good brands besides hydrogaurd you’d suggest ?

I got HydroGuard on Nebula Haze's suggestion. It also is very highly rated at... Amazon.

There are all manner of bacteria and fungus out there now, and lots of people swear by 'em, but all I know is HydroGuard (which is damnably expensive and has a short shelf life).

Back
Top Bottom