Root Problems?

elunex

I've got Alien OG and Ogre growing next to each other in the same sized pots with the same medium and schedule. They are both 9 days old, but while the Ogre looks perfect, the Alien OG is looking rough with leaves curling up (not crispy).

Is this possibly a rooting problem? And how would I resolve it?

I've been watering them as soon as the top of the coco (it's a coco, perlite and vermiculite mix), starts getting dry.

Is it possible to drown the roots in coco? They're in 10l fabric pots.

I haven't been watering to runoff, could that be the cause?

Water to runoff and check Ph is first step.

Leaf curling is a magnesium deficiency I believe but we won't know for sure until we get the Ph reading.

Personally I've never grown in coco so hopefully other's chime in

I just rechecked the Ph on my water and nutrients. My water was a solid 6.5 but my nutrient mix was suddenly off the scale at 9.5. It was at 6.3 when I first did the mix... it's been sitting for 5 days now since, but wasn't aware it could go alkaline so quickly just standing.

you should be at 5.8 PH to start in coco.

as time goes, the PH does rise, even in the coco. This is why you start low, because it rises.

the curl he is seeing might be wind contributed. Do you have a fan on it?

also, you CANT let your coco mix go dry, unless you have peat mixed in.

I use cocoloco, because I like to let them dry out almost totally, but it has peat in it, so there is still some moisture to help with the benificals microbs i use.

but what your seeing, I bet its fan-heat problem. You shouldnt have issues at this young of a seedling with nutes, and should be only at 1/4 strength of whatever your using.

ya see i figured it was different for coco. Seems to be the same as hydro, interesting. I see a thread from another forum where lots keep it from 5.8-6.1, others say they had good results with 6.0-6.5 where'as others say its ok for 6.0-6.5 for a week or so without any adverse effects. I think you can play it by looks, if u notice at ur 6.5 its having some sort of deficiency's, lower the ph down to 6.0 or even 5.8. If its drifting down, try 6.5 and let it drift to 6.0 or even 5.8 if it drifts that low. If its drifting upwards, perhaps start with 5.8 and let it drift to 6.3 and then go back to 5.8 and repeat. Either way it looks like u can expect decent results anywhere from 5.5 - 6.5 so thats good news for you. For my hydro im having cal/mag deficiency's at 5.8 so i had to move on up to 6.3 and let it drift down.

yeah, like i said, i use cocoloco, and when i first started, it was hard to find info on it. I was told treat like hydro, and when i did, i had horrible growth.

I used PH perfect AN nutes, horrible. so why? If its hydro, PH perfect hydro should of made it primo, but that wasnt correct for cocoloco.

I now use MegaCrop nutes, I PH to 6.0, I let my pots dry out every other watering.

They LOVE the dryout. My calyx explode, where they look like they are foxtailing, but they arnt, they are just giant calyx.

great luck bro..

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it.

I flushed the plants to 20% run off using RO 6.0 water. But 2 days later and the problems are continuing... At a loss what to do now...

is your fan pointed on it? looks like windburn, and/or calmag def,

The weather has been fairly cold (tent remains above 65'F), so I haven't used a fan at all on them yet as I didn't want to make it too cold.

With regards to cal/mag, I was feeding it a fair amount of nutrients (nothing excessive, but didn't think that a deficiency would occur). I could try a calmag mix and see.

If you've been using RO water for feedings, you need calmag. What kind of light are you using and how close to the plant is it? Try backing the light off a few inches and see if it helps the leaf curling.

The leaves may not uncurl.....just watch the new growth....and see if it exhibits the same curl. If it does the problem still remains.

If you've been using RO water for feedings, you need calmag. What kind of light are you using and how close to the plant is it? Try backing the light off a few inches and see if it helps the leaf curling.
I second this..
I know my LEDs all have to be at different levels to get that sweet spot.

Thanks everyone. I flushed before the new growth, and it continued after the flush. It may well be the light... I'll move the light further up and see how they behave. It's not very strong or hot though, it's a 300W LED with 150W draw, which is placed about 35-40 inches above the plants. The temperature at the plant level hasn't exceeded 23'C.

Back
Top Bottom