Root Rot? Dark brown clumps?

AK907BUD

I'm 3 weeks in my first growth in DWC, and just did a nutrient change. I noticed right after the change the roots when from a creamy white color to light brown and some spots had dark brown gunk that I could rub off with my hands. Others roots are pure white as well. The temp is average of 70-77 degrees but I've been using Orca throughout the grow, ppl successfully don't have issues with roots at that temp using this product. I would say the roots may have taken color change due to dark nutrients but the dark brown clumps of gunk and white roots in some spots are having me think otherwise.
I'm curious as to why the dark brown clumps showed on the white roots, I noticed that it appeared before roots turned color but went away eventually.
Also my PPM started at 536 and is now at 500, this is the 2nd day with these conditions, leaves show no change other than slight drooping on one leaf but I this looks more like a weight issue
image29119.jpg
image28579.jpg

Looks like root rot.

Most likely those roots are going to die off and new ones will start to sprout. What is your water temp? What all are you putting in the water?

I run z7 water treatment to avoid that very thing. You could also try Hydrograud.

I think you are going to see things slow way down with that plant.

Looks like you have a waterfram setup in it.

That should keep it alive until you get things under control. But you may need to trim it back if you see a lot of drooping.

Some on here would use N2O2 for it. That will kill all the bad and good stuff in your water.

But the bad stuff comes back faster then the good. So you would need to keep using it over and over to make it through. You could also try using tea's.

Do you have a airstone in there too or just the waterfarm deal?

Looks like root rot.

Most likely those roots are going to die off and new ones will start to sprout. What is your water temp? What all are you putting in the water?

I run z7 water treatment to avoid that very thing. You could also try Hydrograud.

I think you are going to see things slow way down with that plant.

Looks like you have a waterfram setup in it.

That should keep it alive until you get things under control. But you may need to trim it back if you see a lot of drooping.

Some on here would use N2O2 for it. That will kill all the bad and good stuff in your water.

But the bad stuff comes back faster then the good. So you would need to keep using it over and over to make it through. You could also try using tea's.

Do you have a airstone in there too or just the waterfarm deal?

I swear by H2O2 in hydro reservoirs, but it's not for everybody. The thing is, you will need something to break down the decaying matter that you now have in your tank and in the hydroton. Your options are basically enzymatic or chemical.

The enzymatic way would require the use of an enzyme, like they use in hygrozyme, that can do the job of breaking down the organic material, and then once everything is eaten up, they die off without affecting anything else. And your "good" microbes will stay in the system

Chemical, would be the H2O2 route. This will kill your "good" and "bad" bacteria/fungi. My opinion is that ALL growth is bad in a res, whether it's deemed as "good" bacteria/fungi or "bad" bacteria/fungi, you don't really need either in hydroponics because you should be giving them nutrients that essentially bypass the steps the bacteria and fungi take to break down the material. In other words, your nutrients should be immediately available to the plants when you apply it to the root zone and shouldn't "need" the beneficials to break it down and feed it to the plant.

Now, that being said, there may be benefits to keeping good cultures in your water and on your root zone in terms of over all immune response of the plant and a possible increase in flower potency. The latter is debatable.

I have tried the H2O2 way. I think it would be a better way in RDWC then DWC.

I found it to be a pain in DWC if you have more then one or two buckets.

With z7 it is just a few drops in a bucket whenever you change them and it brakes down everything in the bucket.

The water and buckets stay as clean as they need to be.

I found N2O2 made them more touchy and just the opposite with z7.

I know from doing them. Both ways can work.

I now put z7 in all my water from clones all the way through and I use no N2O2 bleach or anything harsh.

I pour my buckets out and rinse and fill with tap water. I cut clones with old clippers then cut my 45 with a old steak knife before I put them into a mist/spray cloner. As long as I have z7 in it's water. I am over 90% at them.

I just find a few drops once a week much easier to deal with for me.

I think KISS is a good thing.

But I also know that there are other ways like N2O2 and teas that work for others.

So there are at lest three ways to deal with what you have going on.

Water temp was between 70-77, using Orca product and General Hydro nutrients, two large air stones (I believe I need more bubbles thou), slight drooping but looks mor like a weight thing perhaps, still growth on plant with no signs of leaf

I have tried the H2O2 way. I think it would be a better way in RDWC then DWC.

I found it to be a pain in DWC if you have more then one or two buckets.

With z7 it is just a few drops in a bucket whenever you change them and it brakes down everything in the bucket.

The water and buckets stay as clean as they need to be.

I found N2O2 made them more touchy and just the opposite with z7.

I know from doing them. Both ways can work.

I now put z7 in all my water from clones all the way through and I use no N2O2 bleach or anything harsh.

I pour my buckets out and rinse and fill with tap water. I cut clones with old clippers then cut my 45 with a old steak knife before I put them into a mist/spray cloner. As long as I have z7 in it's water. I am over 90% at them.

I just find a few drops once a week much easier to deal with for me.

I think KISS is a good thing.

But I also know that there are other ways like N2O2 and teas that work for others.

So there are at lest three ways to deal with what you have going on.

Hygrozyme sounds good, will I need to use the Orca bacterial product the during the grow? From the sounds of it I don't need anything like that...

I think you are going to see it's growth stall for a while. I would move the light up or it away from it a little.

Then I would think about what way you want to try to deal with it in. Once the water temp goes over 75f. The issues get worst and happen faster. (At lest that is what it seems to me)

I run DWC(5gal buckets with stones) with temps up to 78f.

The only two that I could recommend would be z7 or Botanicare Hydroguard

That is just because those two are ones that have worked for me.

I don't want to recommend anything I have not used.( I would sure there are other ones that would work too.)

Yes at those temps I would want more air in it. At 77f the max DO will be dropping. But I also like to have surface movement in the tank.

It is also good when the bubbles are popping spray up onto the rots and baskets. It helps keep everything clean and happy...

DukeO: Are you talking about n2o2 as in dinitrogen dioxide or "hyponitrite"?

AK907BUD: I believe z7 is enzyme based. Haven't tried it myself. I've used hydroguard and have not had good luck with it vs h2o2. I believe it was because hydroguard is more for preventing rot as opposed to fighting it. I think the z7 would work to break down the rotting material though. I haven't personally used Hygrozyme either, but I have some friends that use it religiously.

I agree with DukeO that surface movement is crucial. I like to have my water "boiling".

Aahahaha! No I just smoked a little to much. I should of wrote H2O2.

Yes from what I read z7 has an enzyme part and food part.

I really can not say how it works. Just that it does work. I also add a half dose of Botanicare Hydroguard with it now.

I have been using z7 for a year. It was working about 90% of the time to stop anything from starting. Every now a then I would have a touchy plant start to get some rot and then the z7 would fix it. But it would slow down while it was doing it.

I started using a half dose of Botanicare Hydroguard with the z7 3 months ago and everything is at 100% so far with water temps up to 78f.

So I am just keep my fingers crossed and not changing anything right now.

I did have a crazy thing happen about 3 months ago. I had a plant just go from perfect to full wilt without anything at all changing to it in two hours time.

The water was full and good(had been changed a few days earlier) The roots where white. Everything about the plant looked good. It was about 24" tall and it went to 6". I looked into the tent and it look fine. I did not touch it. Looked again 2hrs later and it was in full wilt. Temp in the tent was fine. Other plants with it were fine.

So I cut off some of limp branches and careful put some in my mist cloner and they popped right back to life. Now those limp branches are 5' tall and look beautiful.

So it was like something between the roots and the plant just shut off.

Have you ever had one do that?

I did have a crazy thing happen about 3 months ago. I had a plant just go from perfect to full wilt without anything at all changing to it in two hours time.

The water was full and good(had been changed a few days earlier) The roots where white. Everything about the plant looked good. It was about 24" tall and it went to 6". I looked into the tent and it look fine. I did not touch it. Looked again 2hrs later and it was in full wilt. Temp in the tent was fine. Other plants with it were fine.

So I cut off some of limp branches and careful put some in my mist cloner and they popped right back to life. Now those limp branches are 5' tall and look beautiful.

So it was like something between the roots and the plant just shut off.

Have you ever had one do that?

Not that I can remember. I'm not sure why that would happen. Did the plant live?

Not that I can remember. I'm not sure why that would happen. Did the plant live?

I'm finding all this information useful thank you, leaves are drooping and perking back up throughout the day, still have growth but looks minimal, placing an order for that z7 product and buying more stones

Back
Top Bottom