Root rot - Over feeding - Low humidity? DWC troubles

carlito21

I am a successful soil grower of many things but now that I have decided to grow hydroponically it's been trouble!

I have two plants, strain is pineapple chunk. I just moved them from soil about a week and two days ago. They are a little more than two weeks old and since I put it in The hydro system it's been trouble. I dont know why. So here is the run down, a 2×2 room. 150 hps with four 23 watt 6500k lights around. One 10 gallon tub with three air pumps. One ecoair single outlet 2 watt plus two 20-60 gallon aquaculture air pumps all running into the tank. I am using aqua Vega by Canna nutrients and am using half strength. Water is ph balanced at 5.8 reservoir temp is now controlled at 65-70 degrees. Grow room is 77-82 degrees. I have managed to rise the humidity up to low forties and fifties but was having serious trouble with it. Also, I cleaned out reservoir late Friday night using reverse osmosis water to refill. Put Epson salt because I thought it might have had a magnesium lockout which I think solved that issue. My plants are receiving 50,000 plus lux each. They look as if they are over watered though. And It caught some root rot. Idky!!!!

I put H2o2 and it seemed to revive them a bit but they droop. More like curl in. Just like over water. I am using rhizotonic as foliage feed several times a day as it says in the Instructions. Could that cause over water? One of the plants developed big Brown spots on leaf. I am sure I've killed the root rot now but the only thing that grows is roots. That's all. Since I changed the res water...it doesn't look as if there are any difficiencies so it could be that it's just recuperating from shock but Idk, even the New leafs it makes, they curl in like that. I don't think I'm underfeeding because plants are super small. They look as if seedlings. It doesnt branch out. The leaves just grow and droop/ curl. Its at its fifth set of leaves but thats it. It doesnt grow up nor out. Im stumped. Ph is balanced, water is clear and fresh, nutes are not to strong. Humidity is decent, temps are almost perfect. Lights are at optimal and today I just put tin foil over hydroton pebbles to keep light out and back at underside of plant. I left roots in A diluted H2o2 mixture and left them there for a good 30 mins and they perked up a bit since but im so confused. Could it be that the plant got a bad disease and thats it or is there something wrong. Since it is my first DWC grow i do t want to throw them away and start fresh because what if i am messing up and do the same again?

All help I appreciated.

Agreed with thebudking, it would help to see some pictures of this. There could be alot of different things going on. How did you transplant the plant from soil to dwc? Did you wash the soil off the roots before you put in it to the hydroton? What is your total lpm, lph, gph, or gpm output (if you include all the air pumps)? What percentage h2o2 did you use? At what dilution rate did you use the h2o2?

Could be transplant shock, root rot stress. Get some Mycorrhizae & Trichoderma fungi/bacteria in the reservoir (Great White works well)...really helps with root growth, and look into z7 enzymes for the water, it helps keep the water clear and clean of baddies.

Make sure you have plenty of air bubbles in the reservoir as well, you got the temp down into a good zone.

1445906833491.jpg
1445906379919.jpg

This is my set up. 150 watt hps lights hanging 7 inches with four 23 watt lights (6500k) as supplemental and only about an inch above plants. Recieving 50,000 plus lux.

I have three air pumps aerating 7.5 gallons of water in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Temps are higher now...around 81 to 85 because I didn't know if I could possibly be dealing with wind burn from my fan (it's a big fan). Also...it's put two wet shirts on tote to raise humidity which is now at 40 more or less.

1445906637662.jpg

1445906516012.jpg
1445906789094.jpg
1445906602729.jpg
1445906571087.jpg
1445906769070.jpg

Those are my plants. They are already at five sets of true leaves but it doesn't branch out. The stalk thickens and the roots grow longer but the leaves grow a bit and that's all. I took out all the yellow burnt leaves and the infected brown leaves and basically left whatever healthy leaves I could see. I am trying to save them because...why not. I have more seeds but my wife says to just tough it out. I believe she is right. What if I am doing something wrong and I don't even know...I will just screw up more seeds. And I don't want to go back to soil. I love the challange. I feel I am close.

I actually went and added the remainder percentage of the nutrients to see what happens. To be honest...it looks a bit more perked up. Ph balanced and foliar fed it and let's see what happens.

I believe it is being aerated well. Three air pumps. I am using rhizotonic as a root stimulator. As I mentioned...roots and stalk are growing...just not the leaves.

I use pen and droplets. Pen gives me 5.8 solid and the color is at 6. It's frustrating. I highly doubt it could be overwatering. I did notice this though...both plants, the stalk was kinda purple at top of node. I also noticed plants developing what looked like nitrogen deficiency..."the claw". I believe, after seeing no results by raising lights up or by raising humidity, that it could be under feeding. The purple stalk and nitrogen looking deficiency have led me to believe that. So I went ahead and put rest of nutes in to give 100 percent strength. We will see what happens. Who knows, might just make a late grow journal of this. i do believe there was also root rot involved but I believe it's fixed. We will see what happens. Will keep you guys posted. And thanks for suggestions!

I have decided to make this a grow journal. I feel many people could benefit from my mistakes and will enjoy watching this hydroponic newbie become a master, hopefully. So check out my journal for constant updates and many pics. Peace!

Decided to do another quick update on this. I decided to pop a green love potion and use soil and do an expirement to see how the superthrive will work with my shocked plants. Check out my grow on the same journal as I will be expirement in with superthrive and see how beneficial it is and also if plants can truly recover from such a big shock as I have caused. Two grows in one journal.

SUPERthrive...when using it in your res...will cause white slime on plant roots. Do not use it. In less than 24 hours when I noticed it...it gunned up the roots and air stones so do not use it in DWC. H2o2 does nothing at all as I would put it in tank everyday, nor does hydroguard.

This is I guess the final results for this. When plants look like this....go ahead and clean res and add nutes at full strength. Add hydrogen peroxide to kill bad bacteria and like I said...if ur plants are weeks old and barely growing...add the rest of nutes. Rhizotonic is great and you can foliar feed it 4-6 times a day. Superthrive does not work in DWC. Never add it to res. They are just good to let plant roots soak before transplant and also as foliar feed. That's all. Oh...and if u have a few nodes but little to no growth...top it. It will be shocked for about a week but now I have four new shoots and leaves are perky and growing. And that's all I did. Check out my grow to see how that are doing

Back
Top Bottom