Root supplement for seedlings

rocks911

Hey all,

I grow in soil, mostly Fox Farm

I have a few seedlings (Obama Kush/GDP/LSD) that are in the first weeks/days of life and while they're doing fine in Jiffy seed starting mix they are in limbo growing very slowly. I have the youngest (LSD) seedlings in the Jiffy mix in a Solo cup, the seedlings are 6 days since popping through. I have them under a CFL light in my bathroom. How can I best support root development? Will liquid kelp be beneficial in root development at this early stage?

I have one grow under my belt and with that grow I didnt worry at all about the development of the very small plants but now that I am trying to become more efficient the seedling stage is critical in moving the process along, so how best to do that?

Try the Clonex root supplement. It comes In a bottle as veg, and blooming supplements come In. I saw one big bottle for about $55.00.

wadup Rocky? I grow in DWC and use HYDROGUARD... I can’t tell you that this is hands down one of the best additives I added to my nutrient regiment and the good thing about hydroguard is that it works for hydro and soil. It stimulates vigorous root growth and also protects the roots in many ways... it can fight algae, mold, and I think it adds Benny’s to the fertilizer which can break down the unwanted aspects in the fertilizer and turn them into nutrients that the plants roots can drink... don’t quote me on the last statement, but what I know forsure is that I will not grow without hydroguard anymore after seeing firsthand how beneficial it is. Hope this helps bro. Oh I also use radix for stimulating root growth on young seedlings but I’m not sure if this is ok to use in soil. Peace.
Stay medicated.

This is normal. Don't try to push seedlings too much. They are not very tolerant to hot soil or nutes.
Slow growth is perfectly normal because the plant is working on establishing a good root system before it starts vegging in full force.
The only thing I ever give my seedlings is a little bit of super thrive, and "Start" made by Nutri Plus. nutri+ START

Agreed^ and if your having hot soil issues, hydroguard is perfect for this because it prevents root rot which is common with hot soil... my buddy has a hot soil issue he can’t seem to lower it so he uses hydroguard and hasn’t had a problem since.

I just looked up the radix and can be used in soil as well broski, I highly recommend this product as well. I have never used clonex before but from I gather that are designed for clones specifically and looking at the nutrients that are in clonex... it seems like a lot of nutrients to give a SEEDLING... not a newly sprouted seed, but hey I’ve been wrong before... but to the OP if you are growing from seed and not clone I HIGHLY RECCOMEND looking into radix as it’s actualky designed for seedlings that came from seeds.... If I fed a seedling that clonex I would get a toxicity forsure lol. Just look around see what works best for you bro, and ALWAYS look into the ingredients in them. Remember less is more, and you shouldn’t feed a seedling anything until it’s got it’s 3rd set of true leaves. But I can feed my seedlings radix when they get there 2nd of true leaves, and it increases the speed of my seedling stage. Just some food for thought. If your trying to root a clone then I agree clonex is the way to go buy from what I understand with my reading your gonna pop a seed so I would look into radix and clonex... and other rooting compounds to see what you think will work best for. Done here my man, hope all goes well for you! If you have any questions I’ll peek in and see if I can help.
Stay medicated.

What are you running with your Fox Farm soil as far as nutrients? Are you using their 3 part for soil? Big bloom is what I would be giving them if you have it.

I start my seeds straight in their ocean forest soil. I haven't tried starting autoflowers in it but the photo period plants that I've started in it have done great. YMMV.

What are you running with your Fox Farm soil as far as nutrients? Are you using their 3 part for soil? Big bloom is what I would be giving them if you have it.

I start my seeds straight in their ocean forest soil. I haven't tried starting autoflowers in it but the photo period plants that I've started in it have done great. YMMV.

My last grow, and so far only grow, with femiznized photo period plants I used General Hydroponics Grow/Micro/Bloom. My soil was Fox Farm Ocean Forest with some perlite at 75% to 25% more or less. The FFOF was a bit too hot for the young plants and after they stabilized I didnt feed them much until bloom. What little I did feed them was just GH Grow at the low end of the bottle recommendation. Which is another thing altogether, I now realize that the General Hydroponics nutes I was using are really intended for hydroponics (duh), so Im not sure that I wasnt under feeding them. Anyhow, sorry to digress, I have the seedlings in Jiffy seed starting mix so they arent getting anything from that mix.

Clonex solution was suggested, might give that a try.

:peace:

My last grow, and so far only grow, with femiznized photo period plants I used General Hydroponics Grow/Micro/Bloom. My soil was Fox Farm Ocean Forest with some perlite at 75% to 25% more or less. The FFOF was a bit too hot for the young plants and after they stabilized I didnt feed them much until bloom. What little I did feed them was just GH Grow at the low end of the bottle recommendation. Which is another thing altogether, I now realize that the General Hydroponics nutes I was using are really intended for hydroponics (duh), so Im not sure that I wasnt under feeding them. Anyhow, sorry to digress, I have the seedlings in Jiffy seed starting mix so they arent getting anything from that mix.

Clonex solution was suggested, might give that a try.

:peace:
I know you can use some of the kelp. I suggested the big bloom because it's cheap and is recommend for seedlings and new transplants. It has P,K and Fe. These come from EWC, guano ,rock dust and kelp. a small bottle is around $8 US.

If you are looking for a new nutrient line to run with your fox farms soil, check out Mega Crop. It's a cheap one part. I'm running it with ocean forest and I've never had better looking plants. Lots of growers here are using it and you can use it in any growing medium at any plant stage. Just some food for thought.

Whichever method you choose to go forward with, I wish you happy growing!

Thanks for the Mega Crop recommend, I might very well go that direction.

How about a light recommendation? One grow and I'm ready to move to something more efficient. I grow in a 4'x2'x5' tent in a hot environment and have to use A/C pretty much 24x7 during the summer so whatever grow light I end up with it has to run cool and I need it to be able to get within 18" of the plants or closer as the ceiling is so low. Any recommendations for such a light? I know its off topic but what the hell why start another thread?

Bye for now :thanks:

Mars Hydro sp 250 or their TSL 2000. Or something like a quantum board from HLG. I use their qb 288 v2 at 260 watts or two of their 135 watt light kits would work.

I e-mailed HLG for a recommendation but havent heard back. Ill look into the models you cited. The cheapo LED I got from Amazon was great for my 1st experience of growing but I have been left somewhat disappointed with the resultant bud size. I hope to hear back from HLG.
Thanks so much for replying, I depend on the kindness of strangers because I find that the older I get the less I know.

:thanks:

I use the HLG 550 rspec, and honest to god, I have never seen plants grow as well as I have under this fixture.... I will only use the HLG products... imo these are the cream of the crop when it comes to lights. Very expensive but worth every penny you spend.

I e-mailed HLG for a recommendation but havent heard back. Ill look into the models you cited. The cheapo LED I got from Amazon was great for my 1st experience of growing but I have been left somewhat disappointed with the resultant bud size. I hope to hear back from HLG.
Thanks so much for replying, I depend on the kindness of strangers because I find that the older I get the less I know.

:thanks:
Led Grow lights depot is our HLG sponsor. Hit them up for a discount.

I have the extra long fixture (3 feet) in my 2x4 tent. If I had to do it all over again I would do two separate lights at 135 watts. I do love my light but two instead of one would be less cumbersome and more versatile as far as placement. You'll probably want the 3500k for veg and bloom if you are using it as an all- in-one sprout to harvest light.
If money wasn't an issue I would get their new mini lights but they are spendy.

@Virgin ground i had no idea, thanks for cueing me in. These lights surpassed my expectations in every way imaginable. Lol I’m still new to this new site, how do I get linked up with the discounts? Cuz I’m all over it, good lookin out homie.

Forsure, I’m looking into all their products as I would like to switch to an all HLG setup. I’d like a designated veg board and a designated flower board in the future. But yes as of now I’m using it one tent as a veg and flower light. My other tent I’m running a nice cob setup but I’m not to fond of it... I was Thinking of maybe running the HLG strips. I think this could work if done correctly, but would be very expensive.

Eric's contact info is under the pic. Looks like he hasn't been on here in awhile. I would try his email and ask if they are giving 420 mag discounts.

Back
Top Bottom