Rootbound Evidence - Transfer

CoalCracker

Some example photos of a root bound plant taken during transfer. Leading up to this I noticed some slight yellowing starting with the lower older growth as the plant pulled water to the newer growth. This then spread to the upper newer growth. Leaves also lost some of their vigor and began drooping. After transfer the plant was watered until 10% runoff and placed under my scrog. Within 2 days I saw improvement and it continues to regain it's color and vigor.

December 15th, 2012 - #2, Roots have begun wrapping around the edges of the container and growing upwards. Classic signs of a root bound plant.
2_rootbound_12-15-12_.jpg

2_rotbound_2_12-15-12_.jpg

December 16th, 2012 - #2, One day after transfer. Watered after these photos until 10% runoff was seen.
2_underwater_12-16-12_.jpg

Loss of vigor and color. Withering of some leaves.
2_leafwither_12-16-12_.jpg

2_underwater_2_12-16-12_.jpg

Some of the yellowing did not show itself when transferred into the digital image due to the blue color of the lights inside the grow room for vegetative growth.

December 17th, 2012 - #2, Two days after transfer. One day after watering. Placed in SCROG and looking healthier with better color and with improved vigor.
2_SCROGday2_12-17-12_.jpg

Below are some brown spots also found on #2 over the last few days. I'm uncertain as to the cause of this beyond being under watered and root bound. If anyone has any ideas on these beyond the previously stated please let me know. There was some wet/mud like soil that was splashed about a bit when watering but I am uncertain as to whether or not any was left on the leaves to cause a burn like this. Thanks in advance for any and all advice and information!

December 16th, 2012 - #2, Leaf discoloration lower fan leaf and inner fan leaf growth.
2_leafdiscolor_2_12-16-12_.jpg

2_leafdiscolor_12-16-12_.jpg

Thanks WizHigh, you have confirmed my suspicions concerning the phosphorus. I had that suspicion about a week ago as well and was hoping that my tea would help balance it out and although it did help after the first watering but I haven't watered with the tea since.

==================================================
Tea Recipe:
2.5gal water
2tblsp Unsulphured Molasses - added directly to water
2tsp Miracle Gro Organic Blood Meal(12-0-0) - added directly to water
Dr. Earth Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer(5-7-3) - Placed into nylon stocking and set into the water

A 4" air stone to keep things moving in the 5gal bucket. Mixture was let out for a little over 24hours. The temperature of the room where the Tea was stayed a relatively constant 68f.
==================================================

Not sure if this will be enough to offset this deficiency or not. If improvement is not seen with a few days after another dose of this Tea I will most likely add some MiracleGro Organic BoneMeal(6-9-0) before next plain watering. Which will be 2-3 days after today. She will be switched to flowering within the next two weeks or so however, want to give it some time to grow through the SCROG a bit, and not sure if I should hold off on the MiracleGro Organic BoneMeal(6-9-0) until the switch since I will be flushing before flowering. Once again, thanks in advance for any advice/information on this!

NOTE* Due to a bit of poor planning and it being my first grow my timing on the cycle has been off. When switching to flower some plants won't be in the SCROG since they were germinated a few weeks after my main plant, but this will be corrected on my next cycle. Germination of these seeds will be starting shortly.

As of now I have only Miracle Grow Organic BoneMeal(6-9-0) as a Phoshporus source, other than the Phosphorus contained in my base vegetative nutrients. My base nutrients for vegetative growth is Dr. Earth Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer[(5-7-3) mixed into the soil on transplant as well as used as Tea & Foliar Spray. This is supplemented with MiracleGro Organic BloodMeal(12-0-0)

Dr. Earth Bud & Bloom Booster would be my first pick(this will be mixed into containers upon transfer - with the base soil being Dr Earth 'Pot of Gold' Potting Soil). But I think I will still need a faster acting source of phosphorus for this problem due to the small window I have before flowering begins.

Any ideas on a readily available source of quick acting Phosphorus would be greatly appreciated! I will be checking out some of my local garden stores tomorrow for such a product....just not enough time in the day it seems. And ofcourse I will be reading up and educating myself online.

I was just reading around here on the 420 forums and came across some information concerning Blood/BoneMeal and their uses in Fertilizer Tea under Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial. Going to brew up a new Tea using the MiracleGro Organic BoneMeal and begin treatment on this apparent Phosphorus deficiency. It seems to be early stage so I am hoping for a quick recovery using this method.

Yea um, dry ferts will take longer to act. You should get liquid ferts they are all fast acting nutes. Any Bloom fertilizer will work to fix a phosphorus deficiency. Whats your temps in the grow room at night? Low temps will make it hard for phosphorus to absorbed by the plant. So check that out also. Fruit eating bat guano will be great in a tea for that P deficiency. Yea its a early sign, but it may be in the middle since your already getting brown spots on your leaves. Go shopping for that Liquid fert line as soon as you can.

Im starting to look at your pics again and it could be due to a lock out. Iron deficiency will cause a phosphorus lock out also. The new growth is really yellow. Check out iron def Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial Make sure your PH your solution before you feed your plants. PH is best around 6.0-6.5

Back
Top Bottom