Roots might be forcing me to up-pot too early?

Iguana Man

So I thought I was being clever on this 2nd grow of mine by placing the smaller starter pot inside the 5 gallon pot (pre-filled with soil) making for a quick and easy transplant when needed.

Well I won't be doing that again. It's only 12 days since she sprouted and two roots escaped from the drain holes and down several inches into the dirt of the 5 gallon pot. Now I don't know what to do. It's only going to get worse if I leave it. Should I wrap foil around the bottom to keep the roots from further escape or transplant early (like REAL early) to the 5 gallon? Not sure what kind of damage to the two roots the foil will cause and what that might do to the overall health of the seedling.

Here's a pic of the pot within a pot that I'm talking about. This was taken when she first sprouted. Like I said, she's on day 12 now.

Round21.JPG

Sounds like you've learned your lesson but I'm not sure what you mean about wrapping the smaller pot in foil? You could do that but why not just keep it out of the big pot instead, and put it on the floor like regular folks? Roots will always try to spread out where they can.

It may survive ok if you break the roots off. It will set it back some. And if it's an auto you'll want to avoid that for sure.

The only other options are to try to gently wriggle everything out of the small pot, or to cut the small pot apart to make it easier to remove the soil and plant without breaking the roots. Both operations could be tricky. Then replant in a new pot.

Is this an auto? If not - it's generally better to up-pot one size at a time.

It's not an auto. It's a feminized Bianca. You know how these plastic pots have a snap on base that catch extra water? I took that off to expose the drain holes. Why? I thought it would allow for better drainage and thus oxygen into the roots when I watered. Hindsight truly is 20x20! :)

Since I no longer have that base I figured foil would provide a good barrier to the soil below is all. And after a couple weeks she'll get up-potted.

But what is the purpose of putting the small pot inside the bigger pot?

The idea was to have everything ready ahead of time for the move into the 5 gallon. I was trying to streamline the process I suppose. Plus the light height adjustments are cake as well as less bending over to water on my part (mobility issues). Silly reasons perhaps but it is what it is so . . . live and learn. :)

Ok well- just put the small pot on a regular surface- put a saucer under it or something if you need it to be on top of the 5 gallon one. Roots stop where they meet air and light.

In your position I would take some tin snips or good scissors and gently cut the smaller pot up into pieces , destroying it, so that the soil and roots can be removed without having to drag the roots back through the drainage holes.
Then I would transplant back into the same size pot, or smaller. Just curl the roots up to fit in.

I'd prefer to try and save at least the one longer root that escaped so I'll try carefully replanting it into another same sized pot. She's droopy looking this morning. Not sure if that's from stress or no water for that big. After coffee I'll hit Lowe's for another pot and try not to further screw this up. :)

Appreciate the replies, as always.

EDITED: I decided against saving the root. See below. :)

Why not just up pot it now?...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

I thought it was better to slowly up-pot to allow for better root development? You sir are going against everything (which aint much) I've learned thus far. :)

Too late anyhow. I snipped the long root that "escaped", put a tray under the pot and lightly watered. She's starting to perk back up already.

I thought it was better to slowly up-pot to allow for better root development? You sir are going against everything (which aint much) I've learned thus far. :)

Too late anyhow. I snipped the long root that "escaped", put a tray under the pot and lightly watered. She's starting to perk back up already.

It's a debatable topic(with photo's)...I've done both ways with no noticeable difference...the fact that you have roots coming out the bottom of your 1 gallon after 12 days, tells me you vigorous root growth so why not put it in the 5 gallon and then water beyond the perimeter of the implant, making the roots branch out seeking moisture...whatever...no harm no foul...my grow this year going from seedling to 7 and 10 gallon pots only resulted in an oz or two difference from up potting practice, and that could very likely be due to strains and/or environment...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

If it isn't ready for a transplant now, I'd rip it out of there immediately. A few long roots won't matter one way or the other. I do exactly what you do to make an easy up-pot, but not until the day I'm actually going to move 'em.

BTW, good to see ya around, Iggy! :high-five:

It's a debatable topic(with photo's)...I've done both ways with no noticeable difference...the fact that you have roots coming out the bottom of your 1 gallon after 12 days, tells me you vigorous root growth so why not put it in the 5 gallon and then water beyond the perimeter of the implant, making the roots branch out seeking moisture...whatever...no harm no foul...my grow this year going from seedling to 7 and 10 gallon pots only resulted in an oz or two difference from up potting practice, and that could very likely be due to strains and/or environment...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that pot is at most a 1/2 gallon but I get what you're saying about root growth. Since I only grow one plant at a time, and my first grow resulted in maybe 1.5 oz. I'm kinda wanting to get what ever extra I can this time around. I'll try going straight from the peat pellet to the 5 gallon for my 3rd grow (same strain/conditions) and see what happens. Thanks! :)

If it isn't ready for a transplant now, I'd rip it out of there immediately. A few long roots won't matter one way or the other. I do exactly what you do to make an easy up-pot, but not until the day I'm actually going to move 'em.

BTW, good to see ya around, Iggy! :high-five:

Better? I snagged the plastic dish from a similar sized pot outside that is home to a very dead Basil plant. :)

corrected1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom