Rotating Garden Grow 2

Budsbunny

April 18, 2020

For those not familiar with my rotating garden, there is a tread mentioned in my signature about the build and first experimental growth.

ROTATING GARDEN – GROW 2
5000Kfull.JPG

Preparation.

Soooooo, new chapter, new journal, it will take a while before the new growth starts, about 4 weeks I guess, but in the meantime a lot of preparations and modifications need to be done.
As the plan already was to grow in soil instead of rock wool, I am taking into account my test in growing in rabbit droppings, and have decided to go that way with this growth.
So I start to imitate the dropping/soil and the feeding schedule on a little clone I already took 2 weeks ago. The pot will be different than in the picture below but that is only a detail, open pot with ½” rock wool at the bottom to transfer the water/nutrient to the soil above as I tested in my previous journal.
april18_1.jpgapril18_2.jpgapril18_3.jpgapril18_4.jpg

As soil I will use the mix in the first picture below. I added some coco coir compared to my present other test, as feeding will be done on the bottom side of the soil, the coco will take care of some “suck”. :cool:

april18_5.jpgapril18_7.jpgapril18_8.jpgapril18_9.jpg

And this is the end result, as with the other test, I will only feed water as it would be done in the rotating garden, I will put the pot in 6 mm water for 6 minutes once a day.
april18_10.jpg

April 19, 2020

The way I will be keeping track of water uptake by the plant:
  • I will weigh the plant before and after giving water, the difference will be the uptake of water.
  • Despite my initial plan to feed once a day, I will start with feeding once in 2 days, as the coco coir in the mix really transfers water a lot, I can always adjust in the future.
  • And I will feed only 5 minutes instead of 6.
april19.jpg

I am putting my findings in an Excel sheet, feeding today does not really give me the real uptake as I don’t know how saturated the mix was that I made yesterday. So the result of feeding this morning (426 gr. after soaking for 5 min.) can be used to compare the uptake in 2 days.
The green vink is a hyperlink to the picture of that day.
april19.jpg

April 21, 2020

This clone is 2 days in now and looking good.
  • It lost 38 ml of water in these 2 days.
  • The uptake in 5 minutes was 36 ml, that is 18 ml per day.
This time I have marked the position of the plant and phone for taking the picture hopefully that enables me to draw a dotted line on the background from the growth in previous days.
april21.jpg

April 23, 2020

This little clone took up 56 ml water and grew almost an inch in 2 days.
april23_1.jpgapril23_2.jpg

April 25, 2020

The plant took up 46 ml of water. It looks as if it grew less but today I took the picture in the afternoon, the sun was already gone there. Leaves go up and down with the sun a bit. It grew, that’s for sure.
april23_2.jpgapril25.jpg

April 29, 2020

It seems I have forgotten the update of 2 days ago, strange because I had prepared the image. So here is the new update with the grow marks on the picture.
april29_1.jpg

The plant looks very healthy with a lot of new growth, see thumbnails.
april29_3.jpgapril29_4.jpgapril29_5.jpg

I start to have more insight about frequency of feeding with the drum. I keep an Excel sheet, not going to explain everything, you can see for yourself but last time (April 27) I gave 10 ml more water than the plant took up and today it took the 10 ml extra as well so probably it needs more water as I gave before. Also, it starts to grow more and wants more water. Until now I gave water each 2 days, starting today I will do this every day.
april29_2.jpg

May 4, 2020

Since 4 days I give 5 minutes of bottom feed as it would happen in the drum and since that time there is a remarkable grow happening. I am not measuring any more but you can see the development with growing in soil with rabbit droppings. Still only feeding tap water, I think I am making my point. Updates will be a bit less as I am very busy with different projects but will try to keep you guys informed as much as I can.
may4.jpg

april21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom