Round 3 - Capn Style - Automated

Ya'll lost me after mechanical timers......... Hope you don't mind I take a peek every now and then. I kind of look at pictures myself. They never taught us to read back in Arkansas... But I take it ya'll mean a controler unit? Plants look sure look happy in that picture.
Keepem Green

Can you at least get the Ethermega to obtain an IP address from the same router your Windows 10 Box is connected to?

Not many options if your Ethernet/wifi won't connect. An alternative could be logging to file a on the local SD card like they do here:

Arduino - Datalogger

The Ethermega is connected via 100' run of Cat5E from the router and receives an IP with every reboot. Also, as my major stuff is on mech timers, I can disconnect the project box, to bring home for code updates w/o interrupting my grow. I just mentioned all of that above to let you know I can't connect to see Serial prints. Well actually I could, but I would need to bring my laptop, so maybe this is only practical 2 or 3 times, but I can't commit to bring it every time I go there.

Ya'll lost me after mechanical timers......... Hope you don't mind I take a peek every now and then. I kind of look at pictures myself. They never taught us to read back in Arkansas... But I take it ya'll mean a controler unit? Plants look sure look happy in that picture.
Keepem Green

It's all good brother! Basically, I'm trying to build my own grow-bot, but on the homeless budget. It would be nice if indoor growers had a way to bring all their electrical devices together to be controlled by one machine. That aside, this is still a journal about growing bud so I try to keep that in mind as well. Hey, since I got your ear, I'm willing to bet you've grown BubbleGum before. If yes, I want to ask if they swell nice late in bloom? Mine is mid-week 8 and everything is right where it should be timing wise, but she is very lacking in bud thickness and I'm really hoping she fattens up some.

I know you were being kind when you said both look happy, but it's all good. I know the Bubblelicious looks very happy, but the Bubblegum, ehhhhhhhh. That is completely my fault though as I didn't spend the needed time in the first month or so of bloom to get important things done, and this is the result I suppose. I'm still used to my last spot that had space for 3 or 4 plus walking space. This grow, I have only 3'6" x 3'6" for the plant, plus this grow is in sealed rooms, so like when I lost my air extraction, the negatives affects are amplified. I'm still getting used to the space is all.

Enabling debug will absolutely cause some slow-down, but you should be able to get an idea of the last thing it was doing when it locked up. I suspect you are running out of heap memory. Open Serial Monitor and you’ll see the debug prints.

Are these debug scripts generated from the Blynk library, or do I have to write my own prints throughout my code to identify which part of which function is the last to be executed before a failure? I updated to <BlynkTimer.h>

Is your suggestion to change Blynk.begin(auth) to Blynk.config(auth) meant to circumvent and move past breaks in network connections?

Are these debug scripts generated from the Blynk library, or do I have to write my own prints throughout my code to identify which part of which function is the last to be executed before a failure?

Typically you would do this with something as simple as: Serial.print("got this far..."); but with your limited access, and trying to keep things simple (not implement telnet, SSH, or other things a little more complicated), you should look at the logging to SD as your next step - it should only really take a couple more lines of code for you.

I updated to <BlynkTimer.h>

Excellent!

Is your suggestion to change Blynk.begin(auth) to Blynk.config(auth) meant to circumvent and move past breaks in network connections?

Yes. But given your description above, this is optional.

Typically you would do this with something as simple as: Serial.print("got this far..."); but with your limited access, and trying to keep things simple (not implement telnet, SSH, or other things a little more complicated), you should look at the logging to SD as your next step - it should only really take a couple more lines of code for you.
So I can duplicate my terminal.print() calls, but as Serial.print, as I know where in each block each of my prints occurs?

Yes. But given your description above, this is optional.

My understanding is that Blynk.begin(auth) launches the Blynk library and executes the needed portions to connect, stay connected, reconnect etc, but what I'd like to know is would using Blynk.config(auth) break the entire process apart and give the rest of the sketch a means to return(); in the event something Blynk side fails? My original intention was to have my entire project autonomous, but also to use the internet to complement those features and expand the functionality to my fingers. Blynk is about the 9th thing I've tried and it was easy to use, attractive, easy to design my own app and FREE. That said, if the connection is severed for whatever reason, I want the core of the program to continue obviously. Your thoughts?

So I can duplicate my terminal.print() calls, but as Serial.print, as I know where in each block each of my prints occurs?

Take a look at the code in the Datalogger article. Serial.print won't get you anywhere since you're not connected to the serial interface. The logging entries are very similar to a terminal.print, so it should be rather easy for you to implement.

My understanding is that Blynk.begin(auth) launches the Blynk library and executes the needed portions to connect, stay connected, reconnect etc, but what I'd like to know is would using Blynk.config(auth) break the entire process apart and give the rest of the sketch a means to return(); in the event something Blynk side fails?

Look at the way the user Costas does the process in this post, with a connection check loop. This is how I would recommend you do it almost verbatim. In reading the Blynk documentation, there is no mention of connection management in the Blynk.begin() after the initial connect.

My three rules of software design:
  1. Get it working.
  2. Get it working well.
  3. Get it working fast.

You will need some type of logging capability when (not if) things go wrong.

My original intention was to have my entire project autonomous, but also to use the internet to complement those features and expand the functionality to my fingers. Blynk is about the 9th thing I've tried and it was easy to use, attractive, easy to design my own app and FREE. That said, if the connection is severed for whatever reason, I want the core of the program to continue obviously. Your thoughts?

My thoughts compared to where you're at currently (based on your github code):
  • Implement Logging
  • Implement connection management similar to what Costas did
  • Smoke a bowl when the two items above are done

:high-five:

• Implement Logging
  • Implement connection management similar to what Costas did
  • Smoke a bowl when the two items above are done

:high-five:

What? That makes way too much sense. The way I do it is smoke a bowl now, read your links, forget what I read ten minutes after, then read them all again, and yet again if needed. And I wonder why I have so little time to live life?:lot-o-toke::reading420magazine::scratchinghead:

Edit - I'll get on the changes and try and grab the EM for a quick upload if I can get through everything today, otherwise when I comprehend what I need to proceed.

Latitude, what are your thoughts on THIS Blynk Sketch? I emphasize on the first test in the loop to detect if the connection is still made. Do you think this would be a viable approach in my sketch? Also, seeing as how my dosing pumps are on pins 2-9, I am going to need to relocate the entire 8 pin harness to another set of 8 pins, just to accommodate the SD card for logging. All of that said, is there any way for me to debug the process and failures w/o going through moving things around? The way I see it is if I am running out of heap memory, would knowing why help me any, to the extent that I could still use the EM to run my project? I'm not trying to buck, or even sound ungrateful, I just want you to understand what I'll have to do if there's no viable way to proceed w/o data logging on SD. I'm near certain there's a means to log data on the Blynk servers, but of course that would take me a bit of digging too, but I prefer that as it's a lesser of 2 evils.

Latitude, what are your thoughts on THIS Blynk Sketch? I emphasize on the first test in the loop to detect if the connection is still made. Do you think this would be a viable approach in my sketch?

That looks like it would handle the connectivity state monitoring well enough.

Also, seeing as how my dosing pumps are on pins 2-9, I am going to need to relocate the entire 8 pin harness to another set of 8 pins, just to accommodate the SD card for logging. All of that said, is there any way for me to debug the process and failures w/o going through moving things around?

If you are connecting to the cloud Blynk servers it should allow you to do the CSV export from the history graph widget. There are a number of ways you could log. Logging to a local device eliminates the entire "what if wifi is down or my connection to the server is interrupted?" issue. I do understand your dilemma though.

The way I see it is if I am running out of heap memory, would knowing why help me any, to the extent that I could still use the EM to run my project?

Knowing 'why' can help you figure out if anything in your code should be looked at with more scrutiny, or rewritten altogether. We have to make some assumptions here in that there are no hardware malfunctions of course, but knowing what the last thing to execute was before it locked up, could lead you to rethinking how something is done.

I'm not trying to buck, or even sound ungrateful, I just want you to understand what I'll have to do if there's no viable way to proceed w/o data logging on SD. I'm near certain there's a means to log data on the Blynk servers, but of course that would take me a bit of digging too, but I prefer that as it's a lesser of 2 evils.

The History Graph Widget might just work for you. They state that "Every Blynk.virtualWrite command is stored on server automatically.", So the possibility of logging with a Blynk.virtualWrite() could work as a duct-tape-and-chewing-gum solution.

Stopped in to see the grow today and snapped some pics of the BubbleGum (day 60). Aside from the early damage on her leaves, she looks pretty much the same for the bast 2-3 weeks. I know she's gaining weight because she's raising the ppm every day by 100 or so, and to account for that, I've been giving her that gallon back every morning. I saw my first amber tric today and man was it thoroughly amber. I still see a few clear trics too, but mostly everything is cloudy. I'm planning to start flush maybe this weekend, but possibly after that if I decide at the last minute I want a few more days. Right now, I still see roughly 12 ounces dried, but still hoping for more. Also, since I'm ill equipped to do anything of value with the trimmings, I'll just make dry ice hash again. That's a quick and easy collection process.

Also found stalactites hanging from the nutrient lines. I guess synthetic nutes don't fair well in open air. I'll deal with that after a bunch of other stuff in my project is ironed out, but once the MCU runs stable, I'm getting right back onto the pumps and getting them to operate correctly.

IMG_20170615_123814857_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170615_123801544_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170615_123755293_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170615_122823928.jpg
IMG_20170615_122813153.jpg

What strain(s) are your growing? Photo or auto?

I'm seriously impressed at the level of this thread guys

Welcome Dogwash to the journey of easy growing! Aint there yet, but I'm well on my way and with Latitude17 injecting his very extensive coding knowledge, this baby will soon be in bed! And I for one cannot wait!

What's your journey look like?

Now if you ever really want to grow the truly lazy man's way... Organics and alittle water. As rule, I only fertilize mine 2 or 3 times in flower. Nothing in veg unless they look hurgry. I've done alittle hydro in the past but was more work than I care for. I understand what your wanting, a turnkey operation. To me and my bad back, I like to mix the soil once and thats all she wrote.
But should be intresting once you get everything all dialed in... Looks like your going to fill afew stash jars pretty soon. GL and Keepem Green

My POV with this is that until I can afford to grow exclusively, I can't afford to do it at all. That being said, I have to work, most likely according to someone else's schedule and it always seems to boil down to "ya got enough time for your job or your grow", and I just have a difficult time staying mentally free with all the worrying I do about my grows. I don't know why I feel it this way, but I simply do and wish to thoroughly address the issue and remedy it. Then I can still attend to my living WHILE tending to my grow. Always looking to streamline something a little more and just make it easier. Latitude17 is truly a Godsend! I'll get to my destination MUCH sooner now than I originally anticipated and he already has covered some bases that I intend to delve into later which in and of itself is very helpful. When done, I hope to make hydro just as easy, if not more easier than soil growing. It should all be very plug and play which means connect the power, then leave and watch the rest from your phone. Need to change something? Change it from your phone. The cable company is sitting out front sniffing the AM band? Dim the lights till they leave then ramp'em back up to full. It's just a faster more discrete way to handle all the associated problems that generally arise in a hydro grow.

What I'm saying is once you add all the amendments needed, you have nothing to do but water. And all that can be automated. Hella 55-gallon drum and you don't even have to worry.. Unless a timer or pump goes out. People use to think hydro is the way. From my experience, and I do have afew years of Hydro, flood and ebb type. Hydro seems to speed up the veg stage. But timeframe, is the same in flower. And I 'myself' think organics seem to bring out the tastes and smells. Those icecycles, are salts. ALL ferilizers make salts,,, but organics,,, not as much. And salts leave a residue in a plant. Even with a good flushing. Now is all that true??????? I can't call it.
And I'm glad to see a new wave doing new shit. I was going to buy the main controller with all the functions, but I myself; don't need all that. I just keep them watered and as long as the lights come on,,, I'm good. To me,, to many things to look at and go wrong in hydro.. PH and well balanced PPM regiment. Soil,,, just add some goodies, and add water. Can't get easier than that. But like said, to each their own. Differences are great. I love to watch others. GL and Keepem Green

Maybe it's just me. People I know say I overthink stuff way too often. I see problems were there are none. But in my defense, Henry Ford should've just left well enough alone. Horse and Carriage worked perfectly fine at the time. Got people from A to B and all that was needed was hey and water. The Wright Brothers, Bill Gates etc etc etc. Without 420, I wouldn't even know how to grow pot, without the internet, 420 (the site) would not exist, w/o Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, PCs probably wouldn't exist. This is a long tangent that I don't wish to unfold any further, but my point is sometimes those that over think, do actually come out the other end with something better. Maybe Hydro could be waaaaay easier than organics minus the soil mixing. I'm sure you can see the value of this to those that live in the cities, or in major metro areas where space is a commodity and one doesn't have the ability to mix soils, but if they can put a few circuits together along with a grow tent can do the rest remotely. Then all that's needed is for the new grower to show up once a week to defoliate, LST or transplant. Everything else can be automated.

It seams to me man in general gets to a certain age and just wants well enough left alone. My last job was like that. I worked at a body shop for a vietnam vet and his two sons who were my age and long time friends. As a side project, I want to one day build me an Imbert Gasifier that can convert wood chunks into hydrogen, carbon monoxide and sulfur in gaseous form called "woodgas" which can cleanly burn in any engine including automobiles. The trade off is an estimated 30% loss of horsepower as woodgas doesn't have as good of a BTU as gasoline, but if accounted for that, one can power say a very large generator indefinitely. So this oldhead (Pappy I renamed him) used to try and grind my gears about that. "Why do you need a stinking gasiflyer?" "Just go to the gas station and get some gas" But in my mind, this system we all live with, ya know the American way of life, is probably gonna one day end, or be challenged so greatly that life as we know it may be one day greatly altered. So my question to him was "Do you think I should wait until then to start learning how to survive such and event?" His reply was YES.

I have the upmost respect for my elders, and take their opinions, no matter how closed minded, as a living piece of history and factor it with everything else I've heard or learned. I do respect your opinion to embrace the simpleness of growing in soil and one day hope to have the space available to me to where I can pursue that, but hydro is by no means a wash so to speak. I think the recipes can be highly refined to produce as good or possibly better results than organics, but I'm never gonna be able to prove that wrong if I don't push as hard as I can forward.

Back
Top Bottom