RSO using 99% alcohol

Hplar

Just curious how everyone gets the alcohol evaporated to make RSO..do you use a hotplate or rice cooker..which is best and if I go with a hotplate could I use the pyrex dish right on the coils?

I like to use a glass bowl with tapering sides so that I end up with a small puddle, instead of having a large flat bottom covered in a thin skim. Anyway- that’s what’s stopped me from using the rice cooker.
I just put it in a bowl and put a desk fan blowing over it. Setup somewhere I don’t have to smell it. Evaporates within a few hours. If you have a heat pad or some other source of heat to put under it or next to it- that speeds things up a bit. But the fan works pretty fast.

I like to use a glass bowl with tapering sides so that I end up with a small puddle, instead of having a large flat bottom covered in a thin skim. Anyway- that’s what’s stopped me from using the rice cooker.
I just put it in a bowl and put a desk fan blowing over it. Setup somewhere I don’t have to smell it. Evaporates within a few hours. If you have a heat pad or some other source of heat to put under it or next to it- that speeds things up a bit. But the fan works pretty fast.
Rice cooker will burn out if you try to keep it too hot for too long as well.
I started doing double boiler type thing where I just use boiling water in one Pyrex, with the RSO above in another Pyrex, with that fan blowing (all outside of course). I keep adding boiling water below rather than use direct heat- works fine and feels a lot less dangerous too.

Rice cooker will burn out if you try to keep it too hot for too long as well.
Actually I guess it’s a slow cooker/crockpot I had in mind - not a rice cooker at all. Anyway I never used it - just looks harder to clean because of its shape.

I often just push the bowl of alcohol mix right up against a ceramic heater, and crank the fan up over it. But as said -the heat is optional.

If I want to use heat I always turn to an electric frying pan, if that's too hot I put down a wire star separator... Guess I should've said back when I used heat, it really is optional just a light fan does the job just fine.

For butter making I use a bread pan in a slow cooker, my bread pan hangs up in the corners so that the sides and bottom are not touching, it takes about 10 1/2 hours to come to a simmer and that's when I shut it off the minute it starts to simmer. They turn out great and I've no added flavor in my cookies so far.

I love the bowl idea thanks.

To get the oil out of a bowl I use a slightly bent single edged razor blade that fits the curve of the bowl

I guess what I'm asking is if I put a pyrex dish full of water..then another pyrex dish with tincture in it inside the first dish ..can I put the one with water in it right on the heat coil or should I put somthing between the dish and coil so the dish wont crack

You can put Pyrex directly on heat. The only time I’ve seen Pyrex crack is when my girlfriend left an empty one on a very hot woodstove then poured cold water into it.

To me the way you’re doing it sounds overly complicated. But it will work fine.

When making FECO/CCO/RSO and making a full batch. I use one lb. of Cannabis buds to two plus 1.75 liters of Everclear. I have a water distiller that I put the wash in and cook it down, recovering as much alcohol as I can.
One batch yields me 65 to 90 ml of FECO/CCO/RSO.

Just curious how everyone gets the alcohol evaporated to make RSO..do you use a hotplate or rice cooker..which is best and if I go with a hotplate could I use the pyrex dish right on the coils?
I use a rice cooker to make my RSO. I just made a batch using Glookies strain, a 80 % Indica hybrid. Some awesome stuff it is.

I have used a plain glass pickle jar, set in a couple inches of oil in an electric skillet with the plug in type controller. Mine has a dial to set the temp and I use 220 for 4 ounces ethanol 1/2 ounce of non decarbed flower quick soaked and filtered thru a coffee filter (gets the stripped trics out) when bubbles start to form you can drop the temperature down to 180 until it stops bubbling, once that occurs its decarbed and ready to use as needed. I usually got back anywhere from 3 to 4 grams on a quick soak. I have also used a coffee warming pad with just the glass jar sitting on it. It goes faster if there's more air moving over it but it takes about 24 hours for four to six ounces to evaporate off. I was careful to do this in a well ventilated area away from any flames. Please use caution.

Here is a little budget how to that I did a couple years ago. Better to use a double boiler method imo but nice low and slow heat with a light breeze from a fan. Don't get it boiling if right on the hotplate, will taste like crap.

i use a nuwave magnetic induction portable hotplate with a piece of steel and pyrex pie plates. this burner has precise temp control so it works well to get the bulk cooked off. once its rendered down enough i put it in a stainless cup then into one of those tiny crockpots with olive oil in it. i let it sit there till i see zero bubbles then another half hour to make sure all water is cooked off as well. it works well as i can walk away from it for a couple hours and never have to worry about burning it. temp maxs out at 220 so all good. i think its a presidents choice with a blue light and glass lid i got at goodwill for like 5 bucks. best 5 bucks iv spent.

I use a crock pot till it’s evaporated down to 2 cups or so, then pour that into a Small bowel and put it in the coffee maker hot plate.
wouldn't recommend pyrex on an ellement, just get something metal and put a little bit of water in it for heat transfer. i set up a small clip fan from my tent in front of the container and leave it

I use a rice cooker. Been making RSO with it for over 3 yrs now. I make 1 oz batches.

Back
Top Bottom