Rusty spots and curling tips

Finesse69

Hello everyone,

So recently I've changed my soil to 50/50 happy frog and ocean forest then I add about 5% EWC and about 20% perlite in 7Gal fabric pots and I feed with foxfarm nutes with calmag and silicone and I ph the feed to 6.3. I feed when the girls get light usually around 5-6 days I test by lifting and using moister meter when it's almost completely dry.

The environment is around 73-77F and rh I'd 50% when lights on and 64-70F and rh 55%
I grow in a 5x5 tent with a ts1000 and a 240w Chinese qb.

This problem only started when I changed my soil from promix hp to this mix. There's been rust spots appearing and some leaves are curling up and I'm not sure what the problem is, I've tried flushing the plant and lowering the feed by 50% but it still seems to be progressing. Originally I thought it might be nute burn then I thought ph lock out but now I'm unsure any help would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_003955.jpg
    IMG_20200507_003955.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20200507_003951.jpg
    IMG_20200507_003951.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20200507_003936.jpg
    IMG_20200507_003936.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20200507_003930.jpg
    IMG_20200507_003930.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20200507_003854.jpg
    IMG_20200507_003854.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200507_002214.jpg
    IMG_20200507_002214.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20200507_002208.jpg
    IMG_20200507_002208.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200507_002205.jpg
    IMG_20200507_002205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
Hiya finesse.
The ocean forest soil has lots of nutrients in it already, then you added more worm castings and you're using more nutrients on top of that. I believe the ocean soil when fresh has enough in it already to last your plant a number of weeks, maybe all the way to the end.
Just give your girls plain water ph'd to 6.4, let her dry out inbetween. Hopefully she will respond.

Rusty spots can sometimes be a lack of mg. Led lights do leech some of this from our girls and supplementing is an often used strategy. When using premixed as mentioned , it is easy to overfeed if you add nutes before the soil needs it. It would be a good start to maybe add calmag in your waterings to replenish some of the leeching being done by the lights. A useful tip is when adding pics , if you use the full image option to post , you het a full sized pic on your post and can still have up to 9 per post. makes it easier to view them when needed.
If you look for Emilyas post on watering in soil , it is a brilliant method and gives great results without the worry. You could also try messaging her to drop on your journal if you are running one ?. welcome to the fun

It's all in the presentation. Calcium is not mobile within the plant, so when you have a deficiency of that element the leaves that show damage are the ones immediately needing it, the upper growth. Magnesium is semi mobile in the plant, and deficiencies here usually show first in the lower leaves, and then the symptoms start to appear all over the plant.

From what I can see, you seem to be having a calcium deficiency. Having believed that this was a burn, you reduced nutes... exactly the opposite as to what was needed. Your large plants needed more, not less. Flushing was a good idea, but increasing the nutes at least up to the recommended amount is called for, and then and only then, re-evaluate as to whether you are going to need to add anything else.

@Emilya @Listersmeghead @Buds Buddy @Ganjagrandaddy
Thank you very much guys I really appreciate the great advice and I'm so glad you guys came to help especially knowing I'm in good hands with all your experiences! Also congrats on journal of the month buddy! Amazing plants and lots of information!

Yes, I use FF soil & I don't use any nutes for at least 4 weeks. That looks real similar to what I had going on when I was feeding too much Mega Crop. It was a K toxicity. @Emilya pointed it out to me.
Do you ph the plain water in the 4 weeks? Or just as is?
Rusty spots can sometimes be a lack of mg. Led lights do leech some of this from our girls and supplementing is an often used strategy. When using premixed as mentioned , it is easy to overfeed if you add nutes before the soil needs it. It would be a good start to maybe add calmag in your waterings to replenish some of the leeching being done by the lights. A useful tip is when adding pics , if you use the full image option to post , you het a full sized pic on your post and can still have up to 9 per post. makes it easier to view them when needed.
If you look for Emilyas post on watering in soil , it is a brilliant method and gives great results without the worry. You could also try messaging her to drop on your journal if you are running one ?. welcome to the fun
I'll give it a try with my veg guys as some of them seem to have the same problem but on my clones which I just fed plain water they did not skip a beat and looks better then their mothers. Lol
I've read her how to water in soil, great information I do practice it myself but tend to find that my soil is not drinking up nearly as much water as I've seen in other journals which makes me think I'm doing something wrong or just not getting the right root structure.
I've yet to start a journal yet, don't know how people would think about my setup so I've been hesitant...
It's all in the presentation. Calcium is not mobile within the plant, so when you have a deficiency of that element the leaves that show damage are the ones immediately needing it, the upper growth. Magnesium is semi mobile in the plant, and deficiencies here usually show first in the lower leaves, and then the symptoms start to appear all over the plant.

From what I can see, you seem to be having a calcium deficiency. Having believed that this was a burn, you reduced nutes... exactly the opposite as to what was needed. Your large plants needed more, not less. Flushing was a good idea, but increasing the nutes at least up to the recommended amount is called for, and then and only then, re-evaluate as to whether you are going to need to add anything else.
Okay I'll up the nutes next feed and see how the girls response to it and thanks for the great information! There were so many different signs that I was just unsure of what was happening, glad that you were able to chime in and teach me something
IMG_20200507_122714.jpg
IMG_20200507_122617.jpg
IMG_20200507_122609.jpg
IMG_20200507_122603.jpg
IMG_20200507_122558.jpg

Thank You !!!

Yes ... in soil 6.4 pH
Okay thanks a lot! Is there any signs I should look out for before I start feeding nutes?
I am currently using foxfarm trio, boomerang, kangaroots, kelp me kelp you, wholly mackerel,microbrew, bembe, beastie boomz, and Cha ching from FF and calmag from botamicare calmag and armor si for nutes obviously not all at once but according to the FF feeding schedule and the recommended doses for the other two.
Thanks again!

Okay thanks a lot! Is there any signs I should look out for before I start feeding nutes?
I am currently using foxfarm trio, boomerang, kangaroots, kelp me kelp you, wholly mackerel,microbrew, bembe, beastie boomz, and Cha ching from FF and calmag from botamicare calmag and armor si for nutes obviously not all at once but according to the FF feeding schedule and the recommended doses for the other two.
Thanks again!
wow that is some nute line up ... lol Be hesitant in how you apply them to soil though. Dependant on what the fox Farm soil does for your newly potted girls and how long the premixed will feed it for ect will be the deciding factor to what next. unfortunately this is not a medium I have used before and am still getting to grips with Living organic soil myself. Emilya has been and no doubt will be for the forseeable future , my go to for soils and any advice from our very own Goddess of dirt , is sound and well teied and tested. Dont worry about showing any set up , We have such a huge mix of growers here that there is no "one perfect way" thankfully. You will see pot noodle cup grows , old garden buckets , egg-shells for hatching seedlings , old systems that look defunct compared to the new tech but produce just as well and some set ups that look straight out of a Frankenstein movie. We dont judge each other here except in jest .
Looks like you have a nice mix to work with too. Get a journal going so we can come aboard. You have nothing to lose and a community to gain.

wow that is some nute line up ... lol Be hesitant in how you apply them to soil though. Dependant on what the fox Farm soil does for your newly potted girls and how long the premixed will feed it for ect will be the deciding factor to what next. unfortunately this is not a medium I have used before and am still getting to grips with Living organic soil myself. Emilya has been and no doubt will be for the forseeable future , my go to for soils and any advice from our very own Goddess of dirt , is sound and well teied and tested. Dont worry about showing any set up , We have such a huge mix of growers here that there is no "one perfect way" thankfully. You will see pot noodle cup grows , old garden buckets , egg-shells for hatching seedlings , old systems that look defunct compared to the new tech but produce just as well and some set ups that look straight out of a Frankenstein movie. We dont judge each other here except in jest .
Looks like you have a nice mix to work with too. Get a journal going so we can come aboard. You have nothing to lose and a community to gain.
Thanks for the great advice! I'll keep an eye on how they progress and slow feeding when they're ready!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I've been here for a few months just watching behind the sense because I've seen how some other forms act towards new people I've been hesitant but I've notice a lot of support and great people here and that's why I decided to join you guys it's like a community of similar minded people willing to help! I'm going to start a journal next week! I think I'm going to do a comparison grow with two different feed on 2 do-si-dos from Canuck seeds with FF nutes and MC to decide which one would produce better for me and go with that route for the near future and if it is MC that works best for me that would make life a way lot easier then mixing a bunch of different bottle nutes! I'll try to be as detailed as possible so I can get the right guidance!

Back
Top Bottom