Safe To Post Pics?

RetiredExec

I use HideMy IP etc. but I still have concerns even though this is strictly a "personal use" grow.
BTW: Can't you simply create an "open" unencrypted wifi network instead of using a proxy? Anyone can access an open network....
Does anyone know?

Thanks!

High RetiredExec,

I'm sorry about the late response. As stated in our Questions and Answers - The Safety/Legality of 420 Magazine thread, if you follow our Posting Guidelines, you should be completely safe posting your photos here. Our software strips the location information from the photos that are uploaded to our photo gallery. The manufacturer of our software has stated, "The image processor strips the data, any image created using an image processor will destroy the info." Also keep in mind when posting photos, to make sure that there is no identifying information anywhere in the photo, i.e. license plates, papers or labels with names, addresses, or phone numbers on them. Be mindful of objects in the background as well, i.e. mirrors or other things that reveal your identity like prescription bottles or magazine labels.

We're also one of the few that allows proxies, because we truly don't want to know who the members are in real life. This is your best protection - true anonymity.

By using a proxy, your IP address is essentially fake and this adds the extra layer of security for you.

BTW: Can't you simply create an "open" unencrypted wifi network instead of using a proxy? Anyone can access an open network....
Does anyone know?
I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Are you wanting to create an ""open" unencrypted wifi network"? If anyone can access an open network, I don't think you would want to do that. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help to you there, but pretty much the bottom line is, follow our Posting Guidelines, be careful not to include any revealing information in the photos you post, and you should be fine. :Namaste:

I use HideMy IP etc. but I still have concerns even though this is strictly a "personal use" grow.
Does anyone know?

Thanks!

As mentioned, posting pics here - by following the proper procedure - is safe as there is no identifying data involved. But you always have the option to sanitize the photos yourself prior to that if you're still paranoid.

As to your idea about setting up an open network... I wouldn't recommend it. If it's not yours, you're putting someone else at risk as there is some level of responsibility. If it is yours, you're not helping yourself at all because (in the event of official notice) you'd still be the one who's computers, router, and other related equipment would be seized and searched (and at this time most jurisdictions have access to decent recovery tools, so at that point it'd be best to pucker up and hope that you've been using DoD(or better)-level data wiping methods). And even if it's not yours, unless you're using a decent antenna (easy to build), you're talking about a network that is physically close to you. Not exactly the paranoid's dream. There are tools that can provide a pretty accurate "distance from site" measurement available for both hardline and wireless.

If you're concerned, secure "anonymous" proxies are still the best. A chain of several of them, actually. Preferably ones that are based in different countries that do not lay down at the first request by your home country's LEO. That gives you a time-delay because warrants must be gotten, served, logs read, requests filed with other nations' LEOs, etc. Hopefully somewhere along the line is a proxy based in a country that doesn't require logs to be kept for a period of time that would allow such a chain to be followed. Add in good encryption.

But either way, you're probably safe regardless. Any given person is still FAR more likely to get busted because of the observations of an ex- (or even current) spouse/significant other, neighbor, landlord, child that the grower - foolishly - thought they could hide their activities from and therefore failed to educate, or their own loose lips. By the time a person's "computer activity" is noticed, it's because their stuff was just seized along with everything else that LEO could carry out. Worry more about who you tell (NO ONE!), what you're seen carrying into and out of your grow area, and the smell of cannabis in flower.

I'm pretty sure that to date NOBODY has been busted as a result of their actions on this site. 420 and the rest of the staff care about their members' safety and freedom.

That's probably the case for most cannabis-related websites. They'd all be virtual ghost-towns if their members started getting busted.

If it's that important aside from what's already been said... you could always bounce off a few proxys to do your bidding and stay anonymous!

Also, when speaking in terms of info tech... you are only as safe as you perceive yourself to be, nothing more... I haven't seen a network yet that couldn't be gotten into w/a lil patience and know how... that's the truth.

Back
Top Bottom