Salty water: good or bad?

TheYOUNGfarmer

420 Member
Hi Everyone , so i just Move to a New place and i got a water softner with Salt pallet. I tested the water ph and It sit around 6.5 to 7. That dont really worry me, my big worry is that i may have Too Much Salt mg/l i Read online that There is Salt on pretty Much in every water and a that a low quantity of Salt could even be good for cannabis but a lot of IT could really be harmfull stoping growth problem with nutriment and root ect.. so i made a rain Barrel today the thing is There no rain in the next week or even 2 week ... I talked to my father and my old neighboor Who both been growing Gardens flower for years and told be that if i fill Up the baril with my water the Salt could end up at the Bottom of IT and maybe Sun could help somehow. But when i went check on the internet about Salt and water all i see is that it dissolve in IT so here i am wondering maybe if you boys could give me some help some how cos i want the best for my baby like im sure we all Do.:) Sorry for accent im french from québec Canada :)

Unless your water is extremely hard I very much doubt that the added sodium (which is NOT SALT) from a water softener will have any affect whatsoever. There's 5 times as much salt in a slice of bread than a glass of water from a softener water. A water barrel filled with your tap water is not going to concentrate salt at the bottom, and the sun will have no effect. Water softeners work on ion exchange, the salt is a soduim the source of the Sodium ions, which are exchanged for Calcium and Magnesium ions, thus lowering hardenss. If you are really concerned run your plant water through a reverse osmosis filter, that will remove the soduim ions. Know that if the water is too soft you do run the risk of Calcium/Magnesium deficiencies and may have to supplement with Cal-Mag somewhere along the grow. Also if you're growing in soil, it has a natural buffering effect.

The water where I live is brutally hard, to the point of having to soak my shower head and tap water screens in vinegar every month. I live 30 feet from a saltwater slough and there is a lot of salt in the well water, haven't had any issues.

Hey thanks a lot for for the fast awnser Man i give IT a try i guess . Got the same problème with my shower need to clean every month and when i fill Up bottle of water IT Do the same thing after a lot of use. I guess i give IT a try and Will see the result imma keep my eyes open and if something happen well i guess by the Time i Will have enough rain water accumulated . Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom