Samsung LM561H vs LM301H: anyone know the difference?

Vinny133

I’m looking for a new light for my 4x4 and I’m considering the Crecer PanthrX II. It is their second tier line. The difference between that and their flagship is the cheaper PanthrX II runs the LM561H chips and their Metrix line run the LM301H. I can’t find any data to compare the two types of led chips. Anyone out there know the difference?

Regards,
Vinny

I’m looking for a new light for my 4x4 and I’m considering the Crecer PanthrX II. It is their second tier line. The difference between that and their flagship is the cheaper PanthrX II runs the LM561H chips and their Metrix line run the LM301H. I can’t find any data to compare the two types of led chips. Anyone out there know the difference?

Regards,
Vinny
I'm sure the Samsung website gives the specs and differences between the two. I've read it somewhere in the past but can't remember the exact difference. I'll see what I can dig up.

Yeah you can bring up the specs of each on the Samsung site.

LM561H
  • Wattage 0.2 W
  • Forward Voltage 2.8 V
  • PPF 0.51 μmol/s
  • PPE 2.84 μmol/J
LM301H
  • Wattage 0.2 W
  • Forward Voltage 2.7 V
  • PPF 0.56 μmol/s
  • PPE 3.10 μmol/J
* PPF: Photosynthetic Photon Flux ** PPE: Photosynthetic Photon Efficacy

So with the newer chips the plant gets a bit more useable light per chip. Hope that helps.

Yeah you can bring up the specs of each on the Samsung site.

LM561H
  • Wattage 0.2 W
  • Forward Voltage 2.8 V
  • PPF 0.51 μmol/s
  • PPE 2.84 μmol/J
LM301H
  • Wattage 0.2 W
  • Forward Voltage 2.7 V
  • PPF 0.56 μmol/s
  • PPE 3.10 μmol/J
* PPF: Photosynthetic Photon Flux ** PPE: Photosynthetic Photon Efficacy

So with the newer chips the plant gets a bit more useable light per chip. Hope that helps.
So, slightly less efficient then. Would have to decide whether the price difference is worth the cost based on the efficiency. On first glance I would say no.
Thoughts?

So, slightly less efficient then. Would have to decide whether the price difference is worth the cost based on the efficiency. On first glance I would say no.
Thoughts?
Honestly. I couldn't really say. I don't know enough to figure out what the potential benefits would be in yield against the extra cost of the light. All I know is I have a HLG quantum board with the LM301 diodes and it's great. But it's just a 65W board so the cost wasn't high. What's the price difference?

Honestly. I couldn't really say. I don't know enough to figure out what the potential benefits would be in yield against the extra cost of the light. All I know is I have a HLG quantum board with the LM301 diodes and it's great. But it's just a 65W board so the cost wasn't high. What's the price difference?
Well, I was comparing the lights on this site - Best LED Grow Lights Manufacturers USA
They have the Metrix line with the LM301H and the PanthrX line with the LM561. They are a couple of hundred dollars apart the comparable lights. It’s not a lot but when you are retired, you have to shop smart.

I'm running strips of both the LM561 and the LM301 all in 3000k.

Holding the light meter at the same distance on both sets I get pretty much the same readings.
The LM301diodes run noticeably hotter.
I can't give a comparison with bud development as I run other lights alongside the leds.

If I were to buy again I'd go with the cheaper LM561.

I'd check out our sponsors lights before you buy anything, both budget led and Mars hydro do great lights and often offer good deals for members.

PantherX mini 320w , 800 PPF, 2.51 umols/j $450

MetriX 300 , 300w, 792 PPF 2.64 umols/j $550

The lights are virtually the same, about the same spectrum, close to same watts and output.

Budget LED, 350w red spec 2+ is $430 and probably better than both the others.

Another option is build your own.

Mine is 325w. 2.8 umols/j, 1300+ PPF @ 18"
24" x 26" size and $380

PantherX mini 320w , 800 PPF, 2.51 umols/j $450

MetriX 300 , 300w, 792 PPF 2.64 umols/j $550

The lights are virtually the same, about the same spectrum, close to same watts and output.

Budget LED, 350w red spec 2+ is $430 and probably better than both the others.

Another option is build your own.

Mine is 325w. 2.8 umols/j, 1300+ PPF @ 18"
24" x 26" size and $380
Mind if I ask what components yours are made with?

Mind if I ask what components yours are made with?
I used 8 Photoboost strips from Pacific Light Concepts with 8 heat sinks and a Meanwell HLG320h-c1400b driver.
And a simple L channel aluminum frame.
Very easy to build.
Each strip is 100 diodes, 96 LM301B and 4 Cree XP-G3 photo-red diodes

20200516_144941.jpg
20200112_150804.jpg
20191027_131931.jpg
20191013_192339.jpg

Thoughts?

Hi Vinny :passitleft:

I'm currently building my own boards and I will be all around this forum soon. I am sharing details on my current journal about plant training. You can access that from my sig.

What I am building will be a combination of LM301H and Osram Oslon 660nm. 240w per unit with meanwell drivers. About the 561H vs 301H comparison, these are very close. LM301H is eventually better because you can get more output. Running hot doesn't matter when you have a good heatsink and cooling lm301H is not a big deal. They are producing more light on save power and its nothing but natural for them to get hotter than lm561. I have this thick heatsink for testing the limits of lm301h but I will definately use thinner ones and stay on the safe side.

I am preferring 301H over any other mid power LED simply because they provide more light per watt. I don't mind to pay a little extra to get a fair boost. I can give you a simple equation like 240W of LM301H = 250W of LM561H. That is pretty much the math. You can decide if that is worth the price difference but people choose lm301h to get a better and more intense coverage. If you are not satisfied with the harvest, you can't upgrade your 561's later. Keep that in mind and don't hesitate on investing better products. Always try to fit the most posible lumens into your grow area.

Here is what I am building;

I used 8 Photoboost strips from Pacific Light Concepts with 8 heat sinks and a Meanwell HLG320h-c1400b driver.
And a simple L channel aluminum frame.
Very easy to build.
Each strip is 100 diodes, 96 LM301B and 4 Cree XP-G3 photo-red diodes

20200516_144941.jpg
20200112_150804.jpg
20191027_131931.jpg
20191013_192339.jpg

Nice build mate :passitleft:

Regards,
Vinny
The difference has already been noted. The LM301H is the more efficient diode. However, factors come to play into the light build and thr drive current of the diodes on the lights.

However, I am sure the manufacturer knows this so in theory the 301 will be a better performer. I still like the old lm561 diode myself. I still rock the first one I build by hand from 2018.

The difference has already been noted. The LM301H is the more efficient diode. However, factors come to play into the light build and thr drive current of the diodes on the lights.

However, I am sure the manufacturer knows this so in theory the 301 will be a better performer. I still like the old lm561 diode myself. I still rock the first one I build by hand from 2018.

I also like the 561 series but the marketing strategy on grow lights led everyone to think that 301's are way better than 561's but actually they are just a little bit better.

Back
Top Bottom