Sapperman's First Grow New M3 Soil Organic Only Water Silver Pearl - 2014

this is my first grow and my first time here. i am growing SILVER PEARL in M3 and pro mix just watering. M3 NPK is 15-33-38. i got my clones at about 8 to 10 in. in pro mix in solo cups. transplanted them to 1 gal. pots with about 3 in. of M3 and about an inch of pro mix as a buffer. then the clone set on top with more pro mix around it. watered them enough to have a bit on leakage out of the bottom of the pots. PH on my water is right around 6. I have 6 plants under 1 1000w MH bulb right now and have a 1000w HPS bulb for bloom. i have a fan on them and the tent stays at between 70 and 85(F) depending on time of day. I have made an organic bug spray for reduced rosemary and water. please comment and let me know what you think or if there stuff i should know or add to my setup or things i should watch out for. like i said this is my first try and only know what i have collected frome everyone that seems to have all dif. stuff to say. well thank you all ahead of time and sorry if anything is spelled wrong im a bad speller. i look forward to posting my progress on here and pics coming soon.

Welcome to :420: sapperman420 :)

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Do you have the capability of posting pictures so we can see the set up? That way if you run into any problems down the road, it will be easier for ore experienced embers to give you a hand.

Good luck, buddy ;)

IMG_20140217_201805.jpg
IMG_20140217_201752.jpg
IMG_20140217_201709.jpg
IMG_20140217_201701.jpg
IMG_20140217_201647.jpg
IMG_20140217_201626.jpg
IMG_20140217_201619.jpg

ok im having a problem. first things first im in michigan and its cold out. so my temp control is cracking a window to let cold air into the room that my tent is in. well its 45 today and 90 in my tent. the tent normally stays at 70 to 80. with that said my light hangs at about 24in (2 feet) above the tallest plant. now last night my plants were fine today is water day and this is what i walked into the tent to see. PLEASE HELP
P.S. i moved my light to about 4 feet and opened the window all the way
IMG_20140219_155740.jpg
IMG_20140219_155734.jpg
IMG_20140219_155717.jpg
IMG_20140219_155710.jpg

I'm following along. I like your setup it should be fun!
I think you could move your light closer. A technique I use is to hold your hand palm down under the center of light about 18 inches away and slowly move your hand up towards the light. When you feel the warmth on the back of your hand this is the level that you want your tops just under. As your plants grow raise the light. With proper cooling and air flow you can get the light closer. You'll find a balance with the distance you put between the light and plants and the amount of coverage this distance will provide your grow space. Good luck sapperman!

I'm not sure Sapper,

Do you have a pocket microscope or a jewelers loop? I think you should check your plants with one, especially under the leaves. Something with at least 10x magnification, more will make it easier. It looks like something is eating your plants. I could be wrong. I have never dealt with that before. I had a touch of mites, but they were caught very early and I was able to to stop them before they established themselves. Again, I could be wrong, but the holes, and the little bits where it looks like the color has been torn out, sounds like bugs to me though. I hope I'm wrong and it's something easily fixable. I'll ask around for ya.

Hey Sapperman420,

You are roasting those plants for sure!
I made the mistake of getting a 1000w system for my very first setup which was 2 years ago now, and I did the SAME THING!
That 1000w bulb has to be air cooled which it looks like you're doing somewhat, but you also have to have another setup pulling the hot air out of your tent. You can also try cutting some of your excess duct out, so that there's a shorter distance from fan to bulb. Maybe even connecting the fan to your hood and exhausting the hot air will make a difference. Try the latter first perhaps?

The fact that your leaves are folded up like a taco she'll suggest that they're too hot. The brown parts are damaged tissue that won't recover. The temps must be at 90degrees or hotter. I'd say you hit 100 for a while with leaves scorched like that.
ive had temps in the upper 80s previously, for a sustained period of time and my leaves never "tacoed" until I hit the 90s, so that's why I say your temps had to be much higher.

If it's possible for you to downgrade to a 600w setup, that'd be much better! The heat generated by the 600w is nothing like that of a 1000w, and you'll have more than enough light to go around for 6 plants.

And your window might work ok on some days for getting some cool air in there, but you have to take care of that in another way because once your plants start to flower, you're going to want that window shut or else your neighbors and their neighbors might catch on.
The F3d trumps the state even in the mitten.
But if you live out in the country disregard that last line, otherwise take care to cool things off without opening your window. A portable air conditioner will do you a solid also.

Worst come to worst, move your light further away or get some CFLs until you can get the situation under control!
the LEDs sold via the sponsor of this site are also very fairly priced, so that's another good route to take.
Good luck brother!

:peace:

Ps ps thanks for sharing! This is the first I'm hearing of the M3! The mix looks or sounds good for sure!
I hope you can get those temps down so I can see how that soil performs, and so that you can get a decent harvest in!
Be prepared to veg for a while longer once you do get everything under control, so that the plants can recover!
I'd also take the soil outta the tent and keep it clean in there at all times.

:popcorn: Welcome to :420: Sapperman. It's always good to have another new grower joining our great community of growers. I'm not sure what the problem is with your leafs but I'm leaning towards some creatures. You seem to be in pretty good hands so far & you should see more help shortly as Sweets has posted a bulletin requesting an SOS for your journal on one of our more popular threads.

Also I'd like to invite you to join us this Sunday on THE REPS ARE RIGHT. It's an open forum with some of the top seasoned growers here on 420 at the same place & time discussing growing issues. We have plenty of fun while learning. This week at the top of the show we'll be doing something special for new growers such as yourself.
All the info is below in my signature.

Hey Sapperman420,

You are roasting those plants for sure!
I made the mistake of getting a 1000w system for my very first setup which was 2 years ago now, and I did the SAME THING!
That 1000w bulb has to be air cooled which it looks like you're doing somewhat, but you also have to have another setup pulling the hot air out of your tent. You can also try cutting some of your excess duct out, so that there's a shorter distance from fan to bulb. Maybe even connecting the fan to your hood and exhausting the hot air will make a difference. Try the latter first perhaps?

The fact that your leaves are folded up like a taco she'll suggest that they're too hot. The brown parts are damaged tissue that won't recover. The temps must be at 90degrees or hotter. I'd say you hit 100 for a while with leaves scorched like that.
ive had temps in the upper 80s previously, for a sustained period of time and my leaves never "tacoed" until I hit the 90s, so that's why I say your temps had to be much higher.

If it's possible for you to downgrade to a 600w setup, that'd be much better! The heat generated by the 600w is nothing like that of a 1000w, and you'll have more than enough light to go around for 6 plants.

And your window might work ok on some days for getting some cool air in there, but you have to take care of that in another way because once your plants start to flower, you're going to want that window shut or else your neighbors and their neighbors might catch on.
The F3d trumps the state even in the mitten.
But if you live out in the country disregard that last line, otherwise take care to cool things off without opening your window. A portable air conditioner will do you a solid also.

Worst come to worst, move your light further away or get some CFLs until you can get the situation under control!
the LEDs sold via the sponsor of this site are also very fairly priced, so that's another good route to take.
Good luck brother!

:peace:

Ps ps thanks for sharing! This is the first I'm hearing of the M3! The mix looks or sounds good for sure!
I hope you can get those temps down so I can see how that soil performs, and so that you can get a decent harvest in!
Be prepared to veg for a while longer once you do get everything under control, so that the plants can recover!
I'd also take the soil outta the tent and keep it clean in there at all times.

I agree that its heat stress

Subscribed. Your leaf damage appears to be from heat damage. You should also inspect the leaves for insects as I see white spots on your leaves.

Here are some lumen versus distance charts, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

:thanks::420::circle-of-love: I really dont know what to say!!!!!!!! i was shocked to not post in my journal for a few days and come back to all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the info is sooooooo good from all of you i thank you all 1000 times over!!!!!!! the light and heat charts were on point thank you King John. B A R i have work all day tomorrow not shur if i will make it to the reps are right. i hope i can. jay im on a just water feeding because of my soil. 15-33-38 with a pro mix buffer. i dont know how to thank you all enough!!!!! now i will post my update.

well i sprayed my plants with a diluted rosemary concentrate for a few days in a row and havent seen any movement on plants or dirt for about 2 to 3 days now. as for the nutrient deficiency i was advised to do a flush. a fellow grower of mine who is growing with super soil like me informed me that i should NOT have been balancing my ph while using that soil like some have said on here. i was told that it balances itself. so i flushed and trimmed them today (they looked like death! i thought they were not coming back.) and they look a lot better. as i cut some of the crap away i saw that there was still healthy new growth all over the plants witch gave me hope. here are some before and after pics.
IMG_20140222_165920.jpg
IMG_20140222_170002.jpg
IMG_20140222_235040.jpg
IMG_20140222_235101.jpg
IMG_20140223_003114.jpg
IMG_20140223_003128.jpg
IMG_20140223_003144.jpg
IMG_20140223_003149.jpg
IMG_20140223_003153.jpg

Sapperman, I'm pretty sure you should always PH adjust in any soil grow to 6.5. I'll wait and let KJC confirm this as he was the one that taught me this.

Now that your under 18/6 you can spray the foliage right b4 lights out to prevent the leafs from getting burnt from the wetness.

Back
Top Bottom