Sativa (dominant) strains when would you 12/12 these ones?

Hey Folks. First off- a Huge thank you :love: to all who have mostly unknowingly helped me out with posting info over the years I've spent reading and learning here. And appreciation for the helpful tone of this forum which is why I joined it. I'm always reluctant to post questions because I know the question/answer is already out there. But you know how sometimes the more information you read the more confused you get ?!? For a while I considered 12/12 from seed with these latest varieties I've got, and ended up feeling like I know less about that subject than before I started researching. I haven't grown any sativa strains except outdoors. This is more of a -"what would you do" question.

I want to start some new strains. I sprouted 3 types about three weeks ago now- 3 fem Jack Herer, 3 fem Pineapple chunk, and 4 Mama Thai regular seeds. I'm going to run these strains and keep/clone whatever plant(s) I like the best and probably ditch the God bud I've been growing a few years now. I'm going to scrog if all goes to plan. I have a couple hps 600s for flowering room- and at least five feet useable growing height to work with in there but like I said planning to scrog anyway. I'm not super limited for space but that's my light footprint- two tables about 4'x'. If I'm running out of horizontal room under my lights I would maybe axe whatever plant looks least promising, or prune. Anyway- this is basically a test run to check out these varieties.
All about 4 inches high now in sunshine mix, have 2 or 3 nodes. A couple days ago I put them under 12/12. I figured this would work well for the Mama Thai sativa and having read some crazy nightmare stories about the stretch of some of the pineapple chunks (this might be a throwaway if I don't like the looks of it) - It sounded like I might have runaway plants. The Jack Herer less so depending on pheno. I was hoping to train them under the screens in the flowering room while (if) they continue stretching and growing like crazy under 12/12.
Anyway- after more thinking and reading conflicting ideas about 12/12 at this height/age- I'm considering taking them (especially the Jack) out of 12/12 back in to the vegging room to grow/train them, let them reach the screens and fill out a bit. It seems like I might just end up wasting my plants potential if I 12/12 at 4 inches high from seed? On the other hand 12 hour light (though maybe not HPS?) is business as usual for the Thai so maybe it's best left where it is? I'm not worried that much about yield- just sort of lost in the grey area theory between getting a half empty screen and having runaway sativas. Mainly I'd just like to see well developed plants so I can get a sense of these strains. I also for sure want to take several clones off each plant at some point, sooner rather than later in flowering, so will need some branch growth. I've been growing clones for ages and never flipped from seed so early. Just wondering for those who've grown some of these strains- when would you put them in to 12/12 ?

Ok I'm going to end up answering my own questions eventually. I think I posted this in the wrong forum anyway... I had to make some decisions so I left them all under 12/12 except 2 of the Jacks which I'm going to veg a little longer. I'll post something about how the sativas do. Seems like there's not much info on the Mama Thai out there so I'll post re. How that works out. If anyone has grown this and has advice for me though...:thanks:

Just a little housekeeping here...

Whew! -that was a really long winded post I wrote up there at top last month. No wonder I didn't get any answers lol. What was I thinking? At some point I'll probably start up a journal -partly because of the lack of info about the mama thai. I've seen a few people asking and not many people growing it. Will put up a link here because I see that these threads get read over and over and this one is left completely hanging still. I feel responsible... For now - the mama thai sativa and the pineapple chunk, which I put into 12/12 at 4 inches high - I'd estimate would be about 20 inches high now if left to grow upwards. I topped and scrogged them and they each fill about a 14x14 space. So about 5x stretch. The "Jack Herer" turned out to be an indica dominant version (GHS breeder :( ) so it's very small - about 9". Hope that helps anyone who wades through this...

Ok I'm going to update this thread for probably the last time since I've pretty well answered the original question for myself now. Hopefully it helps someone out somewhere.
So again - 3 "sativa or sativa dominant" strains. Put into 12/12 under in soil, with one topping, lst, under scrog when seedlings were 4-6" high.

"Jack Herer"-- Not sativa dominant (failed to read the fine print). GHS breeder- bad attempt at copycatting the real JH. Indica dom which I didn't bother to scrog. Grew into a little 10" shrub that produced some fat little buds. I don't think much of the smoke. Forgot to take pictures.

Mama Thai. -- Pure Sativa. I grew two of them under one screen, which is 19" x 24". The two plants filled the screen in terms of branch length but could have packed it more densely with bud sites. Next time I will veg longer and probably grow one plant her screen, hopefully more densely packed. Here are some pics. I made a mistake with nutrients at one point so excuse the beaten up foliage. I have harvested some of this now and will pick the rest soon. The smoke is very nice, high very clear and productive.

image22440.jpg

image22442.jpg

Pineapple Chunk -- sativa dominant. Again two plants under a 19"x24" screen. They barely reached the corners of the screen, not reaching the branch length that the Mama Thai did. I'll probably get 1 1/2 ounces or so from the two as a wild guess. Definitely vegging longer next time. I forgot to take a picture of the whole screen before I harvested one of them. But here's the remaining half. The plant I harvested was a little bit bigger but this gives you an idea.
The smoke is very nice and this bud has a lot going for it in many ways. I do prefer the Mama Thai sativa because I can function better on it. The pineapple chunk is a bit of a sledgehammer to the forehead if I smoke too much and I can feel the indica in it, but I think most people can cope with that better than me and would love this herb. I will grow it again, and also the Mama Thai for sure as well.

image22951.jpg

I should mention that I did LA's back building technique on these plants. Otherwise I expect they would have very different shape to the buds.
Cheers people. Happy growing

12/12 is veg.Anything below 10 hours of light,it goes to flower.16/8 is good for sprouts.In nature we could only have 18 hrs of sunlight if the Earth had 2 suns,so 16/8 for your sprouts.All kinds of methods out there and everyone has been there,done that.
Hope you have a great grow Weaselcracker!

Actually my Mama Thai (100% sativa) had zero problems going into flower at 12/12. Even in the very south of Thailand they get a variation in seasonal light. South Thailand dips just under 12 hours daylight in midwinter and has about twelve and a half hours of daylight mid summer.
In the tropics I think sativas just flower under year-around 12/12 light when they get mature at two or three months old. Though, that's just something I have read.
Now that I think about it more- I sprouted those Mama Thai plants on December 19 and put them under 12/12 not long after, and they were showing pre-flowers and had obviously starting flowering by the time they was a month old. An easy strain or I got lucky because I've read the horror stories etc. I was going to drop it to 11 or 10 if I had to but I didn't have to.

I feel kind of stupid though it turns out pineapple chunk is not a sativa dominant. I always thought it was -just looked it up recently. Anyway it all worked out...

Thanks for the reply. I love any and all input and this thread has been a pretty lonely one, lol.

Ps. Montyblu- where I live, in mid summer it barely gets dark. By midnight it's dimmed but there's still a glow on the horizon and enough light to see just fine, till it's fully dawn again by 3:30 am. Only one sun though.
:thumb:

Ps. Montyblu- where I live, in mid summer it barely gets dark. By midnight it's dimmed but there's still a glow on the horizon and enough light to see just fine, till it's fully dawn again by 3:30 am. Only one sun though.
:thumb:

Wow! So you are getting 16 hrs? Alaska? The pictures rocked! Love the shot of the Thai Mama!:thanks:

Northern Canada. We get about 17 daylight hours mid summer though like I said it never really gets dark around then. This is when gardens really do their most growing. I'm not really all that far north relatively speaking. I grew up in the true north, land of the midnight sun, where it would just circle the horizon in summer.
Then there's winter....

So awesome.I cannot imagine the winter up there.Drove big trucks for awhile,had some loads to Montreal,but not in the winter.I admire someone who can even survive,LOL! I'm down here 30 miles from the Mexican border.Do my growing in our winter,inside where I can control the temp.Using soil this time,finishing up some Monkey Kush.Will start some Amnesia Haze this fall.Yum,Yum! Take care my friend.Keep in touch.
Monty

Back
Top Bottom