Sativex Approved in Canada

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
GW Pharmaceutical's cannabis-based drug has been approved as a treatment for cancer pain in Canada, the company announced yesterday.

The under-the-tongue spray Sativex is already on sale in the country as a treatment for multiple sclerosis. Dr Geoffrey Guy, the company's chairman, said this latest development represents a further step in its strategy for Sativex, which is to secure approval for the drug across a range of therapies in countries around the world.

Philip Blake, the president of Bayer, which markets the drug in Canada, said pain is one of the most "debilitating and feared symptoms of advanced cancer ... The approval of Sativex for the treatment of these high-need patients is further recognition of the value of this important medicine," he added.

The news of the deal came as GW posted a narrowing of its net losses to £6.7m from £6.9m in the six months to 31 March, in line with expectations. GW has completed late-stage trials of Sativex with 177 patients with cancer pain which showed positive results. Severe pain is experienced by at least two-thirds of cancer patients with advanced disease. The first US late-stage trial of Sativex for cancer pain is due to start in the next couple of months

*thanks Pinch for the article tip

News Hawk- User 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Independent
Author: Karen Attwood
Copyright: 2007 Independent News and Media Limited
Website: GW's cannabis-based drug Sativex approved in Canada

My thouhts are that this is just the drug companies way of saying you don't need medical marijuana, now there is sativex. They don't mind using marijuana if they can licence and market it while making billions of dollars.

What they don't tell you is that it doesn't have all the good things that the actual marijuana plant does. I hope someone who knows the details will post them.

Thanks Mr User. That's exactly what I've believed for the last year.. well since the British Company, GW Pharmaceuticals, hired a DEA big whig away to fast track Sativex in America. The FDA is moving way faster than had been anticipated just a few months ago.

The DEA will definitely use it as a roadblock to legalization. Sativex is a good, marketable product. For those who would rather not indulge in a federally illegal drug, cannabis, there will soon be an FDA-approved pharmaceutical available.. SATIVEX.

Sativex will become the DEA's stock answer for an alternative to illegal cannabis.

Sativex will finally allow the DEA to change their position that cannabis has no medical value and without the expense of legalizing medical marijuana.

Sativex has the type of delivery system for the therapeutic use of THC the DEA (and of course the Big Pharmas) can fully support.

Can you imagine if (when) it gets approved for cancer pains? That's fucking incredibly huge in dollars! We're talking billions and billions from 1.4 million new cancer patients in the US in 2006 alone.

The DEA has a steamroller, baby, and it's gonna roll right over you!

This new in-through-the-back-door-offensive will set the legalization of cannabis back at least a decade if not more.

If the DEA is feeling it's oats, I fear an assault on California's Prop 215/SB420 and every other State that has a medical marijuana law.

Scary.. real fucking scary my friends.

. If the DEA is feeling it's oats, I fear an assault on California's Prop 215/SB420 and every other State that has a medical marijuana law.

Scary.. real fucking scary my friends.

Its bound to happen Pinch thats the problem! Im not a medical patient (Maryland is blind to the powers of cannibas) and I feel for those who are. This product will soon enough take over the MMJ world.

Mr SG4.. just had to vent. Well, we can most certainly kiss medical marijuana goodbye.. been fun. :peace:

if they approve sativex it could open the door to organic homeopathicly approved real herb for vaporizing , teas tinctures oils and other products used by homeopathic doctors give all the organic growers who register the strains liscenses to grow for local pharmacys with organic food and tobacco standard practices for quality and consistancy sell liscenses and change out staff dea to new fda division like food inspectors selling local state and federal
permits and inspecting grows for adequate fencing/security--- organic practices cleanliness in cloning areas proper drying practices

legalize and it falls out of the black market and in to real local economys and possibly preserve large areas of greenspaces and family farms...

must be smoking optimist herb .....

think of all the new tax $$ and fees we could get out the pot heads a voluntary tax we'd love to pay put the tax $$ from pot in to schools for property tax relief for seniors perhaps a tipping point in realistic management and social policy....

Mr Zolar.. I don't think that's what the DEA has in mind.. but crazier things have happened.:cheesygrinsmiley::peace:

Back
Top Bottom