Satori Coco Grow

Live

Hey everybody. :welcome:

Thank you for stopping by! This is my first journal and first posts to add to the 420 magazine community. I welcome you to any input you may have about whatever it is on your mind.
I currently have a few plants flowering in a tent and a few baby plants about to veg. After reading about how Mandala's Satori is one of the best kept secrets, I've decided to try it out.

What strains are they?
Flowering
-4 Bag seed clones(Indica)
-2 Cross Breed clones (Hybrid)
Vegging
-3 Mandala Satori (Hybrid)
-1 Bag seed (Hybrid)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
-Bag seed and cross breed clones are flowering
-Satori is about a week old
-Bag seed is 3 weeks old

If in Veg... For how long?
-Clones were in veg for about 2 weeks

If in Flower stage... For how long?
-3 weeks flower

Indoor or outdoor?
-Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Flowering
-Indica and one cross breed clone were placed in Earthjuice Amazon Bloom soil with small amount of perlite
-one cross breed clone was placed in coco/perlite mix
Vegging
2 Satori and bag seed in coco/perlite
1 satori in amazon bloom

If soil... What size pot?
Flowering
3 Gallon
Vegging
bag seed in 6" clay pot
satori in 4" clay pots

Size of light?
Flowering
400 watt hps (soon to be 600 or another 400)
Vegging
(4)23 watt CFL
(1)65 watt CFL

Is it aircooled?
Flowering
yes, inline fan
Vegging
yes, small fan

Temp of Room/cab?
Flowering
65-77d
Vegging
60-70d

RH of Room/cab?
Flowering
around 25rh

PH of media or res?
coco mix- 5.8
soil mix- 6.5

Any Pests ?
once in a while little fleas come by my vegging area

How often are you watering?
Hand-watering
Flowering
once every 3 days or so
Vegging
once everyday

Type of ferts used?
coco
Canna Coco A & B, Rhizo, Maxi-Cal, ro water
soil
ro water, vinegar to ph
And love for these plants:circle-of-love:

Flowering:
Bag seed
IMG_3369.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

Cross breed
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG

Vegging:
bag seed in back with satori's in front
IMG_3361.JPG

Beautiful plants, Live!

Welcome aboard! You're obviously an experienced grower. How long have you been growing?

The name Satori caught my attention. I wondered if it had anything to do with the Zen Buddhist term. The first time I saw the word Satori was in Jack Kerouac's On the Road. He said it meant "kick in the eye."

I've never heard of Mandala Satori before. I went to their website and it looks really interesting.

Have you tried it before? I'm finishing my first Sativa grow. I have a very height-challenged grow space, so I have to LST to grow a Sativa. I really like the pleasant high I get from one.

You've probably already seen this, but I thought I would put it here so other people (like me) who have never heard of this strain before can read about it:

Since it's introduction in 2005 our Satori has become one of the most sought after cannabis strains among sativa connoiseurs. Although Satori ranks among the most potent strains ever created it is especially the quality of the high that is appreciated by so many creative and spiritually interested people. Potency without quality is simply a waste of potential. To harness the psychoactive energy and use it for positive transformation is our own personal intent when we smoke Satori. The name of this strain reflects how it can inspire the mind: "Satori" is a Japanese term in Zen Buddhism for enlightenment. The word literally means "understanding". It is sometimes loosely used interchangeably with Kensho which refers to the first perception of the Buddha-Nature or True-Nature, sometimes referred to as "awakening". Kensho is not a permanent state of enlightenment, but rather a clear glimpse of the true nature of creation in everyday life. This can be taken a step further to deeper enlightenment or "Satori". Satori is therefore an excellent example of an entheogen that facilitates a higher level of intuitive awareness. This is how cannabis is used in ancient traditions, to open the "third eye", dispelling the clouds of ego-centered ignorance and reuniting the mind with the rest of creation.

I love to compose music after I smoke and this sounds like it would be ideal. If you have smoked this before, a strain review would be much appreciated!

.​

Thank you, and welcome to my grow!I'm glad to be aboard! ;)

I have about a year and 3 grows worth experience. It's somewhat more of an addiction watching these plants blossom into beautiful buds, haha.

Before researching I've never heard of them either. It was the seed company's name, Mandala, that drew me in. After reading many reviews about how it has a creative and meditative high, I was convinced this is the strain for me. The Mandala website has some really useful guides about the care and maintenance of their strains too.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have yet to read a negative review about this strain. A strain named Satori is just begging to be inhaled! People say her smell, taste, and look is just beautiful. And from their pictures and my imagination to fill in the rest, I would agree.

How long have you been growing? You've got a nice selection of plants in your journal. Do you find that lst'ing helps with yield too? Have you ever tried the scrog technique? I'm thinking that is going to be my next project to experiment with..

Here's another qoute from Mandala regarding Satori:
In 2006 we introduced our new Satori. We have refined this strain genetically to produce an even more reliable and powerful cross that will delight your connoisseur heart. Satori is an exceptionally easy to grow sativa. She has shown impressive hardiness against spider mites and other pests, and she posseses a good measure of mold resistance. Her slim appearance makes it possible to plant in narrow rows, or in SOG, to maximize her typical record yields even more. The firm sideshoots provide highest quality cuttings. As with all our sativas she is heat resistant - an added bonus for small indoor environments and hot summer grows. The mainly sweet & fruity-spicy aroma is a real treat for the senses. Satori grows a long headbud with chunky flowers and does not require much feeding on soil; you can almost do without feeding provided you use quality soil and sufficient pot size (approx. 2 gallon pots for adult plants under 250-600W lamps). Keep EC levels low in hydroponics for best results. All Mandala strains are extremely efficient in nutrient uptake due to their hybrid vigor and require only low EC levels/feeding to develop huge leaf, stem and bud structure. Satori is a high yielding, powerful plant with an exceptional sativa high. The heavy buds are easy to manicure, and from the resinous bud leaves you can produce finest grade hash, comparable in quality to the famous Nepalese "temple balls".

The high from a sativa is definitely one to compose music with. Do you use any production software to compose? I'm a guitar player myself, and use Reason to mess around with creative ideas. I find that using cannabis helps me to let go of my critical thinking; playing becomes more of a feel more than anything.

Thanks again for stopping by! :high-five:

How long have you been growing? You've got a nice selection of plants in your journal. Do you find that lst'ing helps with yield too? Have you ever tried the scrog technique? I'm thinking that is going to be my next project to experiment with..

I've been growing about a year and a half. My journal is for my fourth crop, which is finishing in two weeks. I've already sampled the smoke from the G13. It has a wonderful smell, kinda citrus-y. My first three grows were all Indicas because of the height restrictions of my grow space. But I really love the Sativa high much better, so I was determined to try to grow one.

The G13 Haze was promoted as not growing too tall (around 3 feet) and the flowering time was advertised as 8 weeks, "but most growers will opt for 10 weeks."

I was going to chop around week 10, but my mentor (who has grown lots of Sativas) said I would miss out on all the other cannabanoids if I harvested too soon. So I figured, as long as the trichomes don't turn amber, I'll wait.

Now I'm going for a 17 week flowering period. I just finished the 15th week of flowering and picked a couple of buds yesterday. The high is pretty amazing. And the trichomes are still clear! I don't think Sativa trichomes ever turn amber.

I did the LSTing out of necessity as 3 feet tall plants are beyond the scope of my current grow space. With LST, I've managed to keep the tallest plant to 29" tall. I think the LST promotes yield, if for no other reason than the leaf canopy is more uniform, i.e., more of the buds and colas are around the same height and near the top of the plant.

I was thinking of SCROG, but I want to add more than one strain to the room. The Mandala website suggested that Satori would be good for using SOG.

After reading your journal and looking at the Mandal website, I'm going to buy these seeds. I was thinking of buying Chocolope, the 2011 CAnnabis Cup Winner, but I think I'll go for the Satori instead. My only concern is that the seeds are not feminized. I don't want a rogue male invading my harem room, LOL!

Have you used "regular" seeds much? And if so, have you been able to recognize male plants before they knock up all your ladies?

As far as software for composing, I've tried some public domain software DAW (Digital Audio Workshop). I've found it pretty frustrating. The documentation on these programs is either awful or non-existent. I compose using an electric piano. I've always loved classical music, but the stuff I compose are love ballads. I've just starting tinkering around with composing choral music.

I don't know about you, but when I sit down at the keyboard to compose, it's like someone else is driving. I'm serious! Although I love music, my ear isn't very good. Often I don't know if one note is higher in pitch or lower in pitch than another. Sometimes the only way I can find the correct note for a melody I hear in my head is by trial and error, playing every note in the neighborhood around the previous note.

I never intended to write choral music. It just happened. I've found the melody for the first part, but I still haven't figured out the key signatures to use. It seems to change key every few measures. Luckily I have a good background in harmony. There are minor fifth progressions and parts of it seem to be based on the whole tone scale, which I've never used.

I figure I'll just sit back and let the Muse or whoever is composing this piece have their way. I'm just the scribe.

Now I'm going for a 17 week flowering period. I just finished the 15th week of flowering and picked a couple of buds yesterday. The high is pretty amazing. And the trichomes are still clear! I don't think Sativa trichomes ever turn amber.
Hopefully they turn amber soon, 17 weeks seems like a long flowering period. Was there anything that could have delayed it? Either way, your patience will always pays off in the end. :slide:
I had to chop down my closet hybrid when the trichs were barely starting to turn cloudy, on the fact that little green bananas started appearing. It had about 2 weeks left, but I didn't want pollen floating around in my tent..

Have you used "regular" seeds much? And if so, have you been able to recognize male plants before they knock up all your ladies?

Regular seeds is all I've grown with, at least I think. I've had my few bag seeds all turn out female, but I've also worked with Blackjack(Nirvana) and one seed turned out to be male and the other three didn't make it. After about a week or two flowering, I noticed little balls growing where the pistols would be on a female. So after another week or so, I took the male blackjack and placed it out side, on the other side of the house.
Once the pollen sacks were filled, I took one of the bananas and sprinkled it on two bud sites, one on the indica, and one on the hybrid. Just that little bit of pollen made about 40 seeds each. The bud turned out to be great, and now I have plenty of seeds to experiment with. IMHO, working with regular seeds has its advantages in that way. Plus I hear feminized seeds can carry the hermie trait..

Working with a DAW like reason is really fun. And its interface looks like a real rack, so it helps if you're a hands on type of person.
11895.jpg

It comes with synths, beat processors, rack effects, and with the new Reason 6, it has the ability to record live instruments and vocals. The only thing is that it is $400! A bit pricey.. unless you know someone who has it, or another form of it...

I know what you mean, when I play the djembe(hand drum) I get stuck in these drum trances and I forget what I'm even playing. And as for playing the 'right' notes, I do the same by trial and error. I also took a music theory class which helped build a foundation for what to play and where to go next, but I still learn the best by hitting those wrong notes and figuring out what sounds better. But you're right, it's like another part of us knows what they want to play or say..

I know what you mean, when I play the djembe(hand drum) I get stuck in these drum trances and I forget what I'm even playing. And as for playing the 'right' notes, I do the same by trial and error. I also took a music theory class which helped build a foundation for what to play and where to go next, but I still learn the best by hitting those wrong notes and figuring out what sounds better. But you're right, it's like another part of us knows what they want to play or say..

So cool you understand. I was worried you might think I was a nut case or something.

Years ago, I read Walter Piston's book "Harmony" which is all about chords. Amazingly, I still remember quite a bit. So music theory is easy for me. It's music practice (not scales, but implementing what's playing inside your head) that's difficult!

I went for a walk yesterday and this neat melody came to me. I hummed it and tried to figure out what the notes were by mentally playing a major scale in my head. It had eleven notes.

When I got home and played the notes I had figured out, only two were right, the starting C and the final C! And that doesn't count as it's in C Major, LOL! Luckily, it took less than an hour to figure out what the actual notes should have been. When I read about Mozart and Beethoven being able to compose complete scores in their heads, I'm in total awe. Lucky Bastards!

Wow, the Reason DAW looks awesome! I'm going to check it out.

I'm actually playing around with my current grow. I could have harvested it already, but I've heard that some Sativas can take up till 17 weeks to finish and I wanted to see if I could break the record, LOL!

I've actually reduced the light cycle to 10 hours and I'm going to reduce it to 9 hours for week 16 and 8 hours for week 17. This is probably one of the reasons why the trikes haven't turned amber yet.

I reduced the amount of light for two reasons. My mentor, the guy who taught me how to grow and set up my grow room for me, is out of town on extended assignment. He is supposed to fly in soon for business and I wanted to show off my crop for him. I figured reducing the light cycle would delay the trikes from turning amber. (less light --> less THC oxidation). The second reason was to mimic the way flowering occurs in Nature, the light gradually lessening day by day.

I love talking about music, but this site frowns on these discussions inside journals. We would have to use this site's Private Messaging system if we only want to talk about music. (You're not even supposed to post non-marijuana related pictures - but links to non-marijuana websites is OK.)

So post some pictures! That way, you'll get some extra traffic and we both won't get our knuckles rapped with a ruler by the teacher!

As a musician, I totally understand. It's weird how melodies can come out of no where. You got the right idea writing them down and figuring them out. I make up melodies too but always say, 'oh, I'll remember that later' HA, not. Inspiration is spontaneous, at least for me.

You're gonna have one fine tasting bud by the time you chop it down. I hear that trichs grow at night, is that true? So I figured shortening the light cycle would build more crystaly crystals?

That's unfortunate the site frown on other discussions in journals, it's a journal. Oh well, I guess even a cannabis site has to have rules..

Anyways, I have some more pictures. I just put in a bigger hood and new 600 watt ballast in the tent. The girls are lovin it! :thumb:

Top of Criss Cross
CIMG6499.JPG

Top of Icarus Jack
CIMG6498.JPG

The Garden
CIMG6497.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG

Bag seed, fimmed today
CIMG6501.JPG

Satori, left and middle in coco, right in soil (popped at same time)
CIMG6502.JPG

I hear that trichs grow at night, is that true? So I figured shortening the light cycle would build more crystaly crystals?

I don't know. But if it's true, I'm going to grow my plants completely in the dark from now on!

The two Satori in coco and the one in soil are a textbook case of how coco promotes faster growth than soil. Amazing.

I have two plants that I grew in soil. Really bad MiracleGro type soil. I couldn't get find anything else when I ran out of Spring Mix #4. I cut it 50% with perlite, but it was still crap.

My current crop is my first try at sativas. I have another sativa in the wings:

Paradise Seeds Nebula
Paradise Nebula is one of Paradise Seeds most popular strains, having scored a lot of prizes at various weed festivals and contests. It has been available as seed variety since the mid-90ies, belonging to Paradise's initial seed collection. Taking a closer look at Nebula's genetics reveals its secret of success: She is composed of a fruity sweet US Haze-dominated genetic line and the spicy Master Widow, a White Widow cross in the 13th generation (at that time) developed by Dutch seed breeder Ingemar. This fine Mostly Sativa genetic lineage represents a perfect synthesis of both parents, Nebula tends to have that trade mark white appearance of the White Widow family combined with the fruity sweetness and soaring high of the Sativa al and it is known she takes you far beyond your grasp. Nebula is covered with twinkling shiny THC glands. Nebula has a fruity flavour and scent is a delight to event the most experienced smoker. Paradise Seeds Nebula is bound to take into the realm of space. The buzz is typically transcendent.

3 Times Cup Winner!!!

Here's a picture of her development:

Paradise Seeds Nebula

SeedDocumentary.gif

Unfortunately, she was one of two plants that stuck in the crappy soil. After six weeks, she was still a midget. She had all these deficiencies I couldn't fix and I had to use foliar feeding because of a bad nitrogen deficiency.

That's when I switched to coco. Here are the before and after pictures.

Miss Nebula after Transplant into Coco

MIssNebulaRepotted.jpg

Miss Nebula 15 Minute Ago

MissNeb6.jpg

The other plant was a clone. It took 10 weeks to root in the crappy soil. Here's her before and after pictures.

Miracle Clone after Transplant into Coco

MiracleChildCoco.jpg

Miracle Clone 15 Minutes Ago

MiracleClone6.jpg

The time between the before and after pictures is 2 1/2 weeks. The Nebula was six weeks old at the time and the clone eleven weeks old.

.​

Coco is the shit! Your plant is looking healthy now that it's in the coco. Did you clean off the roots before transplanting? Nebula sounds like a 'dope' strain :tokin:

I planted my Indica clones in soil so I don't have to worry about feeding them, but a few feedings when needed. I pollinated one clone with Blackjack. Anyone interested in trading seeds?

The Satori is growing strong, and already has already captured my attention by its beautiful leaf patterns. Enjoy the pics! :peace:

Satori
IMG_3384_Copy_.JPG
IMG_3383_Copy_.JPG
IMG_3387_Copy_.JPG

Bag seed
IMG_3388_Copy_.JPG

Criss Cross
IMG_3391_Copy_.JPG

Icarus Jack
IMG_3389_Copy_.JPG

I am unable to send PMs, not enough posts yet! I'm only 44 away from being able to send.. I can just reply here though.. ?

The Satori were transplanted into 6" containers with coco/perlite/mykos. They seem to be holding up just fine. There is quite a difference between the two in coco. Keeping EC low, around .65 mS.

IMG_3393_Copy_.JPG
IMG_3394_Copy_.JPG
IMG_3395_Copy_.JPG

You'll be able to read my PM after another 44 more messages, LOL!

It was a music question, Live, and I didn't want to push things by talking about it here. I was wondering if the djembe was like the Indian tabla, the talking drum. I found a sound bite of a djembe and it reminded of a tabla.

Anyway, guess what? I just ordered my own Mandala Satori seeds! They're going to have to wait in a queue, as there are other ladies in waiting that are still growing.

The little Satori in soil seems to be stressed. Have you fertilized it? Maybe it's overwatered? You seem to have lots of instrumentation, so it's probably not a pH problem. I find that soil can sometimes retain too much moisture and prevent the roots from absorbing nutrients.

It looks like it might be a nitrogen deficiency. I've had them when I've used less than optimal soil. Have you ever tried foliar feeding?

If you haven't, you make a 1/4 strength nutrient solution (nothing else, just your vegetative fertilizer) and put it in a spray bottle and mist your plants with it. I use it on both healthy and unhealthy plants alike, so you don't have to worry that it may harm your plant. The plant can absorb nutrients directly from the leaves and this should turn the leaves back to green or at least stop them from yellowing further.

ggrant, a djembe could 'talk' only if the head is loose enough to allow pressure to change it's pitch, or if tilt back and forth on the ground. Send me an email address through the PM, ill email you more about it. I got your PM before, but I wasn't able to respond.. YESS! Man, you wont be disappointed with Satori. Her growth is really vigorous and her beauty quite enchanting. I haven't tried foliar feeding yet. I'll make a mix today and try it. Do you only foliar feed during veg? Thank you for explaining it. +rep :thumb:

LoLIsh, :welcome:
Coco is a really effective medium to grow in. The feeding is so easy, a two part solution, rhizo, and maxi-cal (cal-mag) to ensure no deficiencies. The growth is fast, the roots and strong, and the medium is easy to work with. Check out AskEd's Coco Guide, it's a great thread all about coco. Your plants are looking very nice, looking like an indica dominate? Have you figured sex yet?

Update:I left town on Saturday afternoon, and came back last night (Sunday evening). The plants had water, light, air, but no eye to watch over them. As I come to find out, the bag seed did not have enough water. She was wilted with a few dried up leaves. After watering she came back up. I clipped off a few leaves that weren't able to come back. The Satori in coco were fine, but Loopsi(in soil) was wilted over. I still have her in the veg shelf proped up with plant wire, but I don't know if she is going to make it.. Flowering tent is good. The indica clone that was seeded has started to show enlarged pistols. The hybrid clone in coco is tall with nice size buds starting to form.

Wilting Bag Seed
CIMG6609_Copy_.JPG

Day After Wilting
DSCN0311_Copy_.JPG

Satori
DSCN0310_Copy_.JPG
DSCN0309_Copy_.JPG

Wilted Baby
CIMG6613_Copy_.JPG

Being Supported
DSCN0312_Copy_.JPG

Icarus Jack, pollinated
DSCN0314_Copy_.JPG

Icarus Jack
DSCN0315_Copy_.JPG

Criss Cross
DSCN0316_Copy_.JPG

Do you only foliar feed during veg?

Not sure if you mean using only foliar feeding and no nutrients or only using foliar feeding during veg and not flowering.

Anyway, I use it as a supplement to nutrient feeding when there is a nitrogen deficiency due to mineral lockout or poor soil blocking nutrient uptake. I also use it on clones as they seem to need extra nutrients because of their limited roots systems.

Did you say your soil was Spring Mix #4 or something like that? If it's not, what is it?

LoLIsh said:
The Coco seems to be working great. I may have to give it a try once I'm done with my Soil grow.

LoLIsh, if you want to see how to prepare coco, I posted a detailed description with pictures about 3 weeks ago in my journal, and a shorter post yesterday about making a larger batch of coco.

Thanks ggrant, you answered my question. I meant foliar feed during veg and not flower. The baby satori didn't make it in the Amazon bloom soil. It was a little too 'hot' for it. Mandala's website suggests to have little or no nutes in the seedling stage. Nice pictures and info on the coco rinse. Was your coco from brick? I just bought a bag of botanicare's cocogro. Anaxious to try it out on some Satori clones! In a couple weeks clones will be taken of both Satori and bag seed strains.

Thank you for you kind words vamp! :)

Tubing and a co2 regulator(sugar, yeast) were put in a couple days ago. Not sure if it makes a big difference just yet...:morenutes:
The bag seed is back to full production. There is new growth throughout the plant. Pamela(bag seed) was moved to the flowering tent yesterday. The Satori were also brought in. Has anyone ever placed their vegging plants into their flowering space?? Is it recommended? I was thinking the full sun(600 watts hps) would be good for the plants while they can get it, then moving them back to the veg cab once the light turns off. Ideas? Thanks :peace:

Bag Seed put into flower 3/7
DSCN0331_Copy_.JPG

Satori 2
DSCN0332_Copy_.JPG

Satori 1 (fan clipped leaf)
DSCN0333_Copy_.JPG

Criss Cross clone (sativa dom), double top
DSCN0347_Copy_.JPG

Criss Cross (sativa dom)
DSCN0345_Copy_.JPG

Icarus Jack (Indica)
DSCN0344_Copy_.JPG