Sauga's First WW Indoor Grow, LED Style

OK, week one under my belt. The girls are looking good and the weather has finally started to warm up. We have a dry spell with good sunshine over the next week. Most of this week was cool and overcast, but my gut says it was good for them.

I cut down on the watering a bit today and will be adding some compost I've been working on to my 20L pails over the weekend. Question: Should I just lightly layer it on top, or gently dig down a few inches where the roots are going to be? If I dig down, how far do the roots typically reach out after a week of growing? I don't want to stress them out if I can avoid it. My idea was to stay close to the edges and fill down a few inches.
A final question about staking. At what stage would be a good time to lay a small diameter stake for support so as not to disturb the root system?

We havin some fun now eh? I know you folks love to answer my questions so thanks again.
Spread the compost on the outer ring of your pot...and water through it. The plant will be able to access the nutrients as they percolate down into the soil with the water. When they are bigger you can worry about mixing more in and/or up-potting.

Looking good. White Widow's a great strain, too!

Looking good. White Widow's a great strain, too!
:thumb: Thanks! I went with WW for obvious reasons, the climate, first time grower, and the good success first time growers had with it. I love my :yummy: and look for the highest THC available in a plant. The WW fit the bill for my first grow. I don't want my first attempt to be a major flop and lose confidence. I do expect problems, but with the support here I can minimize the damage and get the best yield possible. I just have to listen.

11 days above soil. And thanks man I did a lot of damage just getting here. 9 days inside my homemade box and the 2 days outside
I'm day 7 and nothing like yours. I'm assuming my girls are slower since they've always been in the soil outside. Or at least that's my hope. I must have patience. Patience is my friend.

OK we're into day 8. I added some compost around the rim as I really think they need some nutes. Growth seems slow to me but you guys keep tellin me it's OK...so I'm trying not to freak out. I know you know better than me so I just have to go with it.

Here's my simple solution for a composter. It's probably been mentioned somewhere many times but I didn't want to look around for something that seemed relatively easy. Simply cut out the bottom, added some vent holes, removed the grass underneath where it sits, threw down a bunch of work castings then filled the bucket half way with some garden soil. The rest has been strawberries, potato peels, coffee grinds, tea bags, lint from the dryer and a bunch of wormies. Working real good so far. Turn it daily and lightly moistened.

OK so today's entry is all about what I have learned in the short time being a new member here.

First, and more importantly are the people who contribute to make this site great. That includes the folks that message me and tell me politely I'm not following the 420 guidelines. Newbies like me jump right in and don't realize it's not an everyday forum. It's above any other forum I've visited and the members and moderators make sure it stays that way. A big :yahoo: to all those, and there are many, that have led me in the right direction to outdoor growing.

Next thing I learned is to explore this forum. Just when you think you learned all you need for the day something else gets your interest. Last night I picked up on a post by @Emilya on The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant and finally figured out what you guys have been telling me about 'Listen to the plants'. I have to be looking for the symptoms to understand what the girls are telling me, and I learned that although I have not been overwatering, I have not been watering correctly. This, to me, is one of the reasons I think I have a slower growth. The girls never got any water yesterday and looks like they be stretching their roots out because they still not getting any today. Again, thanks to all who told me to leave the girls alone and listen to them. You know who you all are.

Finally, I've learned that by making myself a part of this community, and the more I post, the more I read, the more people are willing to share their stories of success. There are so many examples of this and I hope I can contribute back in some form down the road.

Cheers :passitleft:

howdy mr.S, amazing when you realize there's so many willing to help ain't it..... have a great Sunday.
so true bro, and I'm a lot more comfortable knowing that if I screw up somehow there are people who have done the same or seen the same to get you back on track. Hopefully we can keep that to a minimum.

Just noticed you are now in 5-gallon buckets. While I love 5-gallons for almost everything else, I don't for growing. Plants use the top 12-16" of soil and their roots want to spread laterally, so the confined design of the 5-gallon bucket limits that growth and, ultimately, your plant size and yield.

Seriously consider moving into a fabric pot. There are many threads and reasons to do this...but basically it works well and it is pretty fool-proof. Fabric pots are cheap (first and foremost), allow the roots to "air-prune" through the fabric rather than get root-bound in a hard pot, and allow you to overwater them without concern (excess drains through fabric). They are reusable as well. You can easily let these plants go another 2 weeks and then use the same soil but in a fabric pot. I like the tan ones on Zon (from TH Choice...get it ;))...good price and the lighter color keeps the roots cooler in the hot sun. Look at the 7/10 gallon size.

Seriously consider moving into a fabric pot. There are many threads and reasons to do this...but basically it works well and it is pretty fool-proof. Fabric pots are cheap (first and foremost), allow the roots to "air-prune" through the fabric rather than get root-bound in a hard pot, and allow you to overwater them without concern (excess drains through fabric). They are reusable as well. You can easily let these plants go another 2 weeks and then use the same soil but in a fabric pot. I like the tan ones on Zon (from TH Choice...get it ;))...good price and the lighter color keeps the roots cooler in the hot sun. Look at the 7/10 gallon size.

Son of a ... see, still learning and glad it's not too late. I have looked at those fabric ones since I joined here but figured next grow I would change over. I was even on one of the sponsors websites here and looked at the benefits of theirs. I'll have to look at Zon and get some more info. I was sure 5gal would have sufficed. Sweet, thanks man!

OK so I ended up with a 12 pack of these babies. Should be here tomorrow. free shipping so it works out under 5 bux each, and the wife can use them too.

Yup...you'll love them.

"Same-Day delivery"?...you must live near civilization....:)

OK so I ended up with a 12 pack of these babies. Should be here tomorrow. free shipping so it works out under 5 bux each, and the wife can use them too.

With these you really shouldn't have to worry about overwatering. I use large 30 gallon smart plants and pretty much drown them that way the soil is completely saturated. They are incredible for drainage but you do have to watch out in the hot summer, because they will dry out much much faster that normal ceramic or plastic pots. You'll love them though.

Yup...you'll love them.

"Same-Day delivery"?...you must live near civilization....:)

pretty close to an International airport. I could have had them today for no extra charge but I had enough going on outside.

They are incredible for drainage but you do have to watch out in the hot summer, because they will dry out much much faster that normal ceramic or plastic pots. You'll love them though.
Point taken. The most the girls will be alone is 8 hours so we should be good. Right now they are enjoying the summer sun and strong breeze. I think I'll go join 'em for a while. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom