So, how's it goin' eh?

Welcome to my third journal since joining this fabulous forum... Sauga's Miracle on Fox Farm Street :party:
I've gained so much knowledge from the previous two, met so many new people, and helped as many as I could from what others passed on to me. It's been a lot of fun, and I really enjoy being part of this fam! :thanks:

Without more babble here's what's in store for those that don't really care:
Seeds: Yes
Lighting: Bright, hurts my eyes.
Type of soil: The dirty type
Type of water: The wet type
Pot size: I'm not sure. It holds 5 gallons though
Food::morenutes:

And for those who want to know what I'm really doing then this is what we're going with:

Seeds: 1st Set: Autoseeds Gorilla Glue Auto (x2, it's a set!)
2nd Set: Bomb Seeds THC Bomb Auto (x2, it's also a set)
Lights: 600W HID - MH thru Veg, HPS through flower
Medium: One plant from each set will be in Fox Farm's Ocean Forest. The remaining two will be in MGNC (Miracle Grow Nature's Care Organic Potting Mix). Both mixes have 75% base with 25% MG Sea Compost. The Sea compost is mixed with 2% Perlite for drainage and is in the first third of the pot. The 75% base is on top of that.
Food: MegaCrop - Old formula with brown balls. Using as directed by GN, with adjustments as neeed. No other supplements unless needed, such as Calmag
Water: Initially we will be going with tap water. My rain water supply finally ran out and my barrel cracked it's ass during this cold weather so it doesn't hold water anymore.
Pots: 5 gallon fabric pots
Tent: MarsHydro 4 x 4 x 8
Ventilation: Ac Infinity T6, 341cfm
Scrubber: 6" at the end of run

Game Plan

Two plants will be quadlined, and two will be twinlined. What's a twinline you ask? Well it's a screwed up quadline. I didn't know what to call it but it had to be called something. It's taking off all the growth at the fourth node, which if I recalled caused a single shoot to come up between the third node. That's the part I don't recall, it it was all the growth or all but one leg from the fourth node. Hopefully once they grow out I will remember by looking at them come top time.
This grew out for a few days and was topped again about an inch above the trunk. It was a big enough hole that I could clearly see down the center of the plant.

During the healing, it grew over the opening and sealed it shut, creating a large knuckle and super thick stalks. I'm hoping to recreate this as I found the colas were extremely large and dense and may have been related to that.
The regular quadlines are a comparison for my own information. I haven't had much success growing a good quad yet, from lack of experience, but I hope to nail it this time.

Since these are autos, they'll be going straight into their final home from the paper towel. This will be another test if FFOF or the MGNC soils are too hot for seeds. It's never been in the past for me but I've never documented it either.
Topping will be done between day 15-21 above soil.

So I think that's everything you need to know about the grow. Welcome one and welcome all! Feel free to ask any questions. If I don't have an answer, there's plenty of good people here that we can reach out to.

That is all. :Rasta:

So, here's my first update.

Seeds were set in distilled water at 915pm on 2/22/19. They soaked about 16 hours then took the plunge to the bottom of the cup.

Once they sat on the bottom for a bit, the water was drained onto paper towels and the seeds placed gently on top. The towels were folded twice and placed inside a sealed bag. The sealed bag was then put inside my audio cabinet for warmth and darkness.
Some people suggest to place the bag over the tv box or other electronic device that generates heat. I personally do not like this method as there is a risk that water could seep through the bag onto the electronics, creating a short or fire. The other reason is the vents on those units are there for a reason. If you block heat from coming out you're not helping your equipment. Seedling mats are ideal, but a warm audio cabinet works great.

That is all. :Rasta:

i'll hang out for this one. i like seeing the old school lights in action.

I'm always in for a little side by side comparison grow. What better way to "know" than to test it for yourself.
Yup, too often I read what the guinea pigs do, so it's my time to be the guinea pig :)

Welcome farside and thanks for dropping by! :party:

I will enjoy following along. I have developed an interest in auto flower plants and hope to pick up some good tips for growing them better.

With your MC will you be feeding your plants at 50% strength? I also use the MC generation1 and have never exceeded 1/2 strength MC with the autos I've grown.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this already but quite a number of people say with the FFOF you don't have to feed autos till they start to flower. That there are enough nutrients already in the soil to take them to flowering. Worth looking into.

I can't wait to learn!!

Yup, too often I read what the guinea pigs do, so it's my time to be the guinea pig :)

Welcome farside and thanks for dropping by! :party:

I'm currently playing guinea pig on making a concentrated liquid fertilizer out of dried Mega Crop. 1g of powder now = 1tsp of liquid. I'll be using the liquid for the first time tomorrow and will post if there is any additional smell or things that have fallen out of suspension. Tomorrow it will be 5 days since mixing it up.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this already but quite a number of people say with the FFOF you don't have to feed autos till they start to flower. That there are enough nutrients already in the soil to take them to flowering. Worth looking into.
Hey beez, welcome and pull up a chair. Lots of room in these Journals. :)

I'm a believer of getting autos big, and fast. I agree FFOF is full of nutes for 30 days, but I do introduce a feeding to them as soon as that fourth or fifth node is going regardless of time. I have used the FFOF on the past two grows and have gotten really comfortable with it.

The MC I always use full strength. In fact I tend to go on the higher side until I see the signs it's about at it's limit. The girls I have right now in veg are at 1100ppm so they are getting a good bashing of it. The MC is so easy to work with and have also used that the last two grows.

Great tips beez, and thanks!

I'm currently playing guinea pig on making a concentrated liquid fertilizer out of dried Mega Crop. 1g of powder now = 1tsp of liquid. I'll be using the liquid for the first time tomorrow and will post if there is any additional smell or things that have fallen out of suspension. Tomorrow it will be 5 days since mixing it up.
I'm looking forward to the results. I know you brought it up on my other thread so I've been waiting to hear your thoughts.
:nomo:

I just find my plants want to do better under the HID. I add the LEDS during flower for some extra penetration but gonna let them go without this time.

i grew for years under mh (veg) and hps (flower). in leaner times i ran just hps flower lights for the whole grow. most of the guys i know local swear by the old skools, and i did for ages too.

we had access to led tech well before anything available commercially. we were early adopters. we have pretty much converted everyone to led tech over the last ten yrs, but not on purpose. still know a few tricks around the old lights.

Subbed up. Let's grow some herb Mr. Sauga!
Hiya Scott! Welcome aboard. Herb it is...hopefully lots! :yummy: Thanks for stopping in and I hope you enjoy your time here :)

I'm thinking the same thing. Sounds like a good grow, I'd like to sit in please.
Hey 19...! Love the avatar. Too bad on the passing of Peter Tork. He was the funniest of them all imho. Thanks for sitting in! I only have big cushy chairs left. I hate the hard pan ones, or at least my bottom end does.

i grew for years under mh (veg) and hps (flower). in leaner times i ran just hps flower lights for the whole grow. most of the guys i know local swear by the old skools, and i did for ages too.

we had access to led tech well before anything available commercially. we were early adopters. we have pretty much converted everyone to led tech over the last ten yrs, but not on purpose. still know a few tricks around the old lights.
Ya tbh I'm not sure why I like them. I started off with them not knowing enough about LED's. I find nothing wrong with my grows and they have worked amazingly well. So I like to stick with what works :)

Back
Top Bottom