What you will see me doing is Quadding my autos...but my plants need to be real strong and healthy and hopefully five nodes minimum, between day 14-21. If you are going to top your autos that is the period people recommend.

Thanks for the warm welcome to your thread Mr Sauga!!:thanks:

I have read a fair bit about autos because these were the first seeds I ordered but they took so long to get here I planted non-auto Northern Lights a week earlier so since I have other plants in this grow I figure I might as well give the autos the full treatment because if I reduce my harvest a bit it doesn’t really matter because I will have another one shortly after it so yes I will join you in topping and quadding, whatever the heck that is, LOL.

Many people seem to agree that autos because of their short lifespan should not be repotted or topped but Emilya in the watering thread you recommended to me she’s all for both so I figure I might as well live dangerously and go for the gusto with you! LOL.:thumb:

I have read a fair bit about autos because these were the first seeds I ordered but they took so long to get here I planted non-auto Northern Lights a week earlier so since I have other plants in this grow I figure I might as well give the autos the full treatment because if I reduce my harvest a bit it doesn’t really matter because I will have another one shortly after it so yes I will join you in topping and quadding, whatever the heck that is, LOL.

Many people seem to agree that autos because of their short lifespan should not be repotted or topped but Emilya in the watering thread you recommended to me she’s all for both so I figure I might as well live dangerously and go for the gusto with you! LOL.:thumb:

The reason to start autos in their final container is that they have a tendency to go into flower as soon as the roots hit the sides of the container so many growers, myself included, have had them go into flower prematurely. This one went into flower before I could get her out of a 4" container:

full

As for topping, I was one of those that used to recommend against topping autos because of the timing issues, but have seen too many great growers have great success doing it. There's a great journal on topping autos, if you're interested, by @thebeast27 (one of those great growers I just referred to! ;) ):

Auto Topping Thread

The reason to start autos in their final container is that they have a tendency to go into flower as soon as the roots hit the sides of the container so many growers, myself included, have had them go into flower prematurely. This one went into flower before I could get her out of a 4" container:

full

As for topping, I was one of those that used to recommend against topping autos because of the timing issues, but have seen too many great growers have great success doing it. There's a great journal on topping autos, if you're interested, by @thebeast27 (one of those great growers I just referred to! ;) ):

Auto Topping Thread

Thank you Mr Krip; I appreciate the advice and thread recommendation! :Namaste: Will definitely be checking it out. :nomo:

Krip to the rescue :hug: ... I tried to remember his name for days.....
Beast.... Yes, excellent thread he is good in topping too.
And Preston... .. Murph...... :love:

Yeah, I don't think Beast has been around for a while but I'm sure he's growing strong somewhere!

Thank you Mr Krip; I appreciate the advice and thread recommendation! :Namaste: Will definitely be checking it out. :nomo:

No worries, Brother - Always happy to help (assuming it was any help! :laugh: ). :high-five:

Homer, Mr Krip is a library of knowledge, he has been with me from the first day of my growing days. A great guy too

Thanks for the sweet "Bird Words"! :circle-of-love:

I've just been around for a while, read everything I could get my hands on, and have a better-than-average memory (for a stoner! :roorrip:). ;)

A couple of quick pics. I was using the LED 1000W to get the little girls going. Tomorrow we hit 'em up with the MH and get some heat in the tent. They have settled down nicely and it'll be interesting to see how fast they grow being autos. New to me so not sure what to expect from here on in.

Looking great sauga ! They start off slow but once they get going man do they explode ! Keep it green brother !

No problem, I like your spirit, I go, you go. But I assure you this boat is not going to sink...I hope. So that's really not much assurance but it's the best I can do.
OK Quadding is a training method and I only tried it on my last grow. I learned a bit off my first attempt that should help me on this one. What we need to do is wait, hopefully, for the fifth node to start and get some good growth. With phenos it would probably be done after the sixth node but I want to have some good growth before flowering. Then we'll take everything off above the fourth node and everthing off below the third. Start training the new trunks towards the edge of the pot and let em go. Plan to have ways to tie your branches down to the side. We want to keep an even canopy throughout the grow. No need for nets in this type of method.

Wow, whodda thunk it...thank you for sharing that. I had no idea the roots to the pot sides act as a trigger.

Great start sauga ! Looking forward to watching these autos get the full on
#quadsquad approach !

:high-five:
Thanks Dutch...it'll be a decision I make based on the time and look of the plants, size wise. I'm going to read up on the post Krips left above to gain a bit more knowledge.

No problem, I like your spirit, I go, you go. But I assure you this boat is not going to sink...I hope. So that's really not much assurance but it's the best I can do.
OK Quadding is a training method and I only tried it on my last grow. I learned a bit off my first attempt that should help me on this one. What we need to do is wait, hopefully, for the fifth node to start and get some good growth. With phenos it would probably be done after the sixth node but I want to have some good growth before flowering. Then we'll take everything off above the fourth node and everthing off below the third. Start training the new trunks towards the edge of the pot and let em go. Plan to have ways to tie your branches down to the side. We want to keep an even canopy throughout the grow. No need for nets in this type of method.

I appreciate the kind of sort of assurance, LOL. But I am here of my own free will so I don’t expect any guarantees but I’m sure we will do fine.

The first seeds I ordered online were Northern Lights autos because I read autos are easier to grow and I got Northern Lights because they say it is one of the easiest strains to grow plus apparently it smells very little which I like because I am growing in my house. I kind of wonder if some strains are too overwhelming to grow in your house?

Then I read that autos are not great producers in yield so I’m so glad Mr.Krip put that link up to the thread about Auto Topping because it certainly changed my mind back again in favor of them with some of the results people are getting. I read a really great idea there that you can stagger your autos so that you put a new one in every two or three weeks and at the same time harvest one and you don’t have to worry about having a veg and Bud room. Especially with a limit of four plants in Ontario that would work very well so I’m looking forward to see how this auto works out and that may be my system.

Your Quadding seems pretty radical but I like it and will give it a go! Really enjoying my newfound hobby I have to admit.

I kind of wonder if some strains are too overwhelming to grow in your house?
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm stinky.... In my house it's never too stinky. I love the smell when it escapes the tent. I just got some Pungent Skunk and if anything that will surely tell my Southern Ontario neighbors Sauga means business.

Your Quadding seems pretty radical but I like it and will give it a go! Really enjoying my newfound hobby I have to admit.
Well for the record, it's not my method. A good man named @Asesino85 is responsible for quadding, @Mr. Magoo had a lot to do with the knowledge I picked up.

OK finally got around to rigging up the fan support system. Thanks Magoo for that idea. It worked well. I used 3/4 pvc with the tees and tie wraps under the tees to keep them in place. I slide the tie wrap up or down for fan height.

Had a small accident. When I was unplugging the LED the cable fell on the front left girl ripping her legs right out of the soil. I got her back in and sprayed around the stem to moisten and pack the soil gently. I'm learning fast the HP dries out quickly so I will have to watch that.

Mr Sauga said:
"mmmmmmmmmmmmmm stinky.... In my house it's never too stinky. I love the smell when it escapes the tent. I just got some Pungent Skunk and if anything that will surely tell my Southern Ontario neighbors Sauga means business."

That’s good news; hopefully I will try some stinkier and more potent strains then. It really seems like a dream come true that finally in Ontario you can stink up the neighborhood so the neighbors know you mean business and they can’t call the police, LOL. Seems like a dream is so wonderful. :thumb::yahoo:

By the way your setup looks pretty impressive!

Just tied my G13 Haze down tonight Sauga! I think the fan rig will really come in handy when I have all the flaps closed on the tent and the side start sucking in. Especially when the plants are bigger.

Just tied my G13 Haze down tonight Sauga! I think the fan rig will really come in handy when I have all the flaps closed on the tent and the side start sucking in. Especially when the plants are bigger.

@MrSauga did you disconnect your tent poles to get the “pvc tees” onto the vertical poles of the tent?

Back
Top Bottom