Saugatuck Township Shelves Medical Marijuana Rules

Jacob Bell

Holland, MI – Saugatuck Township is back where it started more than four months ago after the board decided Wednesday not to enact a proposed medical marijuana ordinance.

A moratorium on new dispensaries has expired, and the two facilities already in the township on Blue Star Highway can continue to operate unless they are shut down by the Allegan County prosecutor.

The board can bring back an ordinance if the state further clarifies what is allowed under the medical marijuana laws, said township Supervisor Bill Wester.

The planning commission recommended an ordinance that allows the sale of the drug from homes, not from commercial districts or traditional storefronts.

Trustee Pat Knikelbine said she wanted the dispensaries in commercial areas, not in neighborhoods.

"I just don't care for it to be a home occupation," she said. "I wouldn't want it next to my home."

Trustee Jim Hanson, the only one to oppose taking no action, said medical marijuana is a legal use and needs to be addressed in zoning.

The board "made the right decision" by not forcing medical marijuana into homes, said Tammy Jacobi, owner of Good Intentions Paving Co., one of the two dispensaries in the township.

The board put a moratorium on medical marijuana facilities in June and extended it through the beginning of this month.

ariz.JPG

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: hollandsentinel.com
Author: Jim Hayden
Copyright: GateHouse Media, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom