420 Magazine Background

Saying goodbye to old friends

Jackalope

It started with the Super Sativa Seed Club in the late 1980's. That is when I made my first seed order from Amsterdam. I have used lots of companies since then. Most from 2 great seed banks. Attitude, and Sensible seeds kept me supplied with seeds for years. I recently got a e-mail update from Attitude. It got me thinking.

I haven't even been to their web site since North American seed banks have come out. Then I realized that I wasn't going back to my old friends anymore. There is just no reason to take the risks of overseas shipping. They did nothing wrong they just got replaced. I really am going to miss them.

You won't find me crying though. There are some great new seed banks in the US now. Not only did this make ordering seeds safer. It has made it so simple that there is almost no reason to breed. There was always the chance the seed market would shut down. It was important to have your own seed stock on hand. Now with so many ways to get seeds. It is easier and in most case's better to just grow what other people make. Most breeders have better operations for breeding. Plus better access to great genetics then most people.

I'm glad there are plenty of people still growing in the rest of the world. Maybe they can keep my old friends in business. I know I can't help anymore. One thing to remember. People to sell seeds to stay in business. So keep your favorite breeders making money so they can continue to make some of these through the roof hybrids.

Bud

As For the European seed banks,I have no remorse about not using them anymore
in fact I’m glad that I don’t. Such a pain in the ass to try and place a order with any
of them and weeks of waiting just to get a infuriating letter from customs saying
that they confiscated the seeds and sent me a empty bag. Ass holes imo.

newoldguy

USA'r here, and I like being able to order "in country" not having to deal with customs, long wait periods, and just general angst over whatever. Never had an order intercepted, but ... the possibility is always there. And like Jackalope says I don't dislike the overseas vendors, there just happen to be better (for me) choices.

Jackalope

There was a time. The wait and the risk was well worth it. Once I left the west coast I knew genetics were everything. The only seeds available were ones you found in smash weed or the occasional single seed in a bag of green bud.

Amsterdam and SSSC changed all that. It hasn't been that long since they were still king. They had better stock and better prices. It has only been in the last 2 to 3 years when all that changed.

GallacreekD

I haven't been doing this very long first couple orders I made were from the vault and then attitude and both were great customer service, good quality product, and because of some awesome promos and freebies I felt like I got a good deal despite the extra shipping cost. But sadly as much as I like these companies, I agree it is much easier and way faster and less dangerous to order American. Lucky me the very first order I made from the good folks at the vault got nabbed at customs But they held up their end and sent order again second time no prob. Next time from attitude no prob and I've won two giveaways from the vault since and they made it no prob. But last couple orders from west coast came in 3-4 days in reg packaging (no need for disguise). Faster, easier, and safer. Srry friends overseas just makes sense to buy domestic.

BakedARea

What are some of the US seed banks that are sponsors here? I currently have a cart filled with Seedsman but I would also prefer to minimize any chances of customs getting involved. Spending $ on seeds right now will be a budget stretcher and it would be a real gut punch to get an empty package that got confiscated.

GallacreekD

I recently used new guy 420 went smoothly. Good experience. Can't speak on quality of product but have heard good things from others. I'll b able to tell come fall ive used a few others but not sure if they're sponsored here. There's a good one in Colorado a lil pricey but quality

Bud

I first tried new guys a few years ago before his present site. Paul is a breeder/
seed bank as well. The price is right to give him a try imo

Bchbudman

Newguy420 seeds is a sponsor here, check um out
I have used 420guy, first batch of seeds didn't germinate, sent email to them, they asked me too give the seeds a little bit of time, couple of days. Still didn't work, so I emailed back, and got a whole new pack of seeds plus a free pack, so they do stand by their products.

Dusted

When the internet first happened I discovered Marc Emory’s seedbank, which was out of Canada, where I live. No feminized back then so I ended up with lots of seeded females and didn’t buy for years. About three years ago I ran out of seeds and had to look at what was available now. Holy shit had things changed. Marc spent 5 yrs in US fed prison for selling seeds into the US. Thank Fred things have changed

Jackalope

They originally wanted to give Marc the death penalty. Canada would not extradite him till they US cooled their jets a little. The counted every seed as a plant and so much weed. Added up he was listed in the "Drug King Pin" status. I don't think I ordered from them. I was using the UK seed banks back then. I do really miss Cannabis Culture magazine though. Their adds were the first 2 or 3 pages LOL. Lots better magazine then High Times.

CannaSeedCollector

I like ordering using overseas seed banks for their variety and older seed stock but not only that I guess just knowing also how far those seeds travelled to get to my freezer or dirt is intriguing too, but as of lately the so called Underground Breeders who are not as well recognized or popular as sum have been killing it as of late with stuff they had from breedbay.

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
The European cannabis seed breeders/sellers did seem to get pretty "generic," for a while. Still are, in large part. Worse, the parental plants used to produce some stellar strains got destroyed in various busts. Some few people had sense enough to keep cloned copies of their parental stock, but only some people (and only some of their producers). Ended up trying to "reproduce" the "same" (LMFAO) strains from the same seed that they had been selling. That was probably as big an impetus for the creation of feminized seeds as anything else did(*) - if you once produced "The Shit," got busted, lost your parental stock... Grew out a bunch of your own seed (which generally produced fine plants/bud), bred those together, grew out those seeds... you ended up with "just shit," lol, well... Kind of hard to sell clones, so just self one or more of your better females. That'll work, right? Of course, the diversity just got sucker-punched, but you'll still sell lots of seeds.

Be nice to find some hitherto undiscovered varieties of cannabis somewhere on the planet, but I think that ship has long sailed. I wish I had been born 30 years earlier, so I could be feeling this way at (current age + 30 years) instead of at my actual age. I wish that cannabis was about a million times more difficult to breed than it is - because at least then every Tom, Dick, and Harry wouldn't be crossing every other Tom's, Dick's, and Harry's strains. Seeds would end up costing a lot more, but they'd still be a bargain at $1,000 a pop, so that's no big deal. <SIGH> We live in depressing times. Oh, and there's a virus.

(*)Employees stealing company property (plants) when they decided to become ex-employees also contributed to the emergence of the feminized seed market. <SHRUGS> No legal protection when you're operating in an illegal industry.

They originally wanted to give Marc the death penalty.
Anyone who threatens to narc on an unsatisfied customer in order to get him to "just go away" ought to get the death penalty. Fed feet-first into one of those giant Asplundh Tree Expert tree branch shredders would be my choice, but I wouldn't complain if some "PC" whiner chose to simply shoot him in the head.

Top Bottom