Scandiskunk's 1st Grow - Bag Seed - Soil - CFLs

Scandiskunk

Hi! I'm new to growing and new to 420, although I have been reading threads and posts for a while gaining a lot of useful info. Really like the forum and everyone seems so helpful and knowledgeable that I thought I'd give a grow journal a go. I am already 16 days into flowering - a bit late to start a journal I know, but I'll give as much background info as I can and go from there...

My setup as follows:

Lights:
4 x 30W 2700k CFLs
1 x 36W 6400k CFL
1 x 45W 5500k CFL
1 x 18W TL-D 840 Fluorescent
219W total

Medium: 75% Cactus soil 25% clay pellets

Pot size: 21cm diameter x 17cm tall guessing thats about 2gal

Nutes: All I could afford was some random store bought, Veg: 7-1-5 Flower: 3-1-4.5

Strains: Bagseed, seems to be hybrid with Indica dominance (see pics below)

Grow Box: Homemade, 1.9ft x 1.6ft x 5ft lined with car windscreen reflector material. As I only have one plant I just have a 12" fan at the bottom infront of a same sized hole cut into the box with another hole cut into the top of the box. Air circulation seems fine and the day temp stays steady at around 23-24 degrees C (Had the temp around 27 deg C during veg) Night temp however has been a slight issue as the box is in a basement which cools down very quickly at night. This usually drops down to 15 deg C at the lowest, I have a small heating fan down there but the thermostat is rubbish so have it on a separate timer coming on a few times during the night although the temp still manages to get down to 15 deg C in between the on times.

Usually water once every 3-4 days and nutes once a week (started at 1/4 strength and slowly increased). I have just got around to getting a ph meter and will be using it from now on, although I think I have been very lucky with my tap water as have not seemed to have any issues so far!

Right well that's my setup, a little amateur but is all I can afford for the moment as a first attempt. I should mention that I also have some Nirvana feminized Northern lights that I plan to start after this grow - using the bagseed as a test and to hone my skills.

Now for a little background to this grow:

I started from seed and managed to get 3 seedlings germed, they were started under a small 18W fluro light for the first week until I had my growbox up and running (the reason why I think the plant I have left may have been a little stunted) I then lost 1 seedling within the first couple weeks and carried on vegging the other 2 for 6 weeks total on 24/0. Then switched to 12/12 and had to chuck 1 due to it being a male, meaning I am left with one female, as mentioned above she is 16 days into flower and seems to be going strong, she was topped once during veg and transplanted twice but is still only about 13 inches tall (reason why I think she may have been stunted by being started under such a weak light and poor conditions).

Anyway hope I've given enough info for now. I'd love any feedback/advice and I'll try and update as much as possible.

cheers and happy growing!

Now for some pics:
IMG_106418.JPG
IMG_105527.JPG
IMG_105626.JPG
IMG_105329.JPG
IMG_105927.JPG
IMG_106721.JPG
IMG_106822.JPG
IMG_107128.JPG
IMG_107029.JPG
IMG_105233.JPG

Sorry about the quality, only had my phone to hand, will bust out the slr for future pics for better quality!

Quick update, day 17 of flowering, everything seems to be fine. She needs a water and maybe some nutes today, was also planning to calibrate and test out my ph meter today.

IMG_107525.JPG
IMG_107631.JPG

Only issue is I noticed this lower leaf this morning and was trying to look at the deficiency chart, was wondering if it could be nitrogen deficiency? Or maybe it could be the ph being off? not 100% sure so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

One more possibly dumb question, but cant seem to find answers to it: Is it common across all strains that if you rub the fan leaves between your fingers and smell, you get a citrus/lemon smell?

So here is an update of the past week and a few pics to go along with it!

The buds have continued to form well, there are now visible trichomes as well! Have had a few more leaves towards the base of the plant turn yellow so I removed them and kept an eye on it. After reading some threads on here i figured it was probably a slight nitrogen deficiency or maybe something to do with too much salt in the soil.

I finally got the Ph meter working a few days ago, Ph'd the tap water I am using and it came out at Ph 7.1. It was last given nutes on 02-22 although I had to use sodium bicarb to bring the solution up to Ph 6.9 as I didn't have any Ph up to hand. I then checked the runoff when it was watered on 02-26 it came out Ph 6.8 which I gathered was within the limits. Although I noticed quite a lot of what appeared to be salt crystals in the soil today, which I guess makes sense since I was adding sodium bicarb to the solution...

So I decided to flush the plant today to see if the salt build up was what was causing the leaves to turn yellow due to nitrogen deficiency. Flushed it with 6l of Ph'd water and removed the two remaining yellow leaves. Gonna keep an eye on it over the next few days whilst it drys out a bit, if that doesn't work ill give her another dose of nutes but minus the sodium bicarb!

Hope everyone's having a good start to the week! Here are some pics of her over the last week...

Finally, pics from today, flower day 25, managed to get a better camera sorted as well:

DSC_03969.JPG

DSC_04048.JPG

DSC_040516.JPG

DSC_040813.JPG

DSC_041014.JPG

Apart from a few yellow leaves she seems to be looking good!

Thanks for stopping by :welcome:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom