Scarfinger68's - Soil - CFL - Aurora Indica Journal - 2013

sweet... my survivor is at the 3 weekish mark in flower and this has me on pins and needles
cannot hardly wait. so if i get around 23 grams from her i will feel accomplished =)

so the 3 ice from last harvest trounced the A.I. in the final weigh in, do you feel it was a genetic thing or
something else perhaps?
will you keep using the same bulbs for your next run?
do you like the tupperware for curing? after 3 days hanging it is still pretty green yes?
so it does quite a bit of the dry in the rubbermade?
you said it has a stronger taste,do you mean harsher or just more of a presence?
ok last question and i will quit pestering you for now?
did it do well enough that you want to keep it around?
glad you made it back from your trip and thanks to the mrs. for her report
take care and good fortunes

so the 3 ice from last harvest trounced the A.I. in the final weigh in, do you feel it was a genetic thing or
something else perhaps?

My thoughts are: No problems with the ICE during VEG or Flowering vs. the Aurora Indica had some problems in VEG and Flowering. The ICE grew more vigorously compared to the AI. The ICE had thicker stalks compared to the AI. The ICE flowers where more dense than the AI.

I think the AI could produce as well as the ICE if I can get it dialed in a little better.

will you keep using the same bulbs for your next run

Yes. These bulbs are roughly 3 years old. I only replace them if they burn out. I have been contemplating trying HPS. But for now I am sticking with CFL's.

do you like the tupperware for curing? after 3 days hanging it is still pretty green yes?

Actually it was only 2.5 days hanging and yes I was worried about it being to wet in the container. I know from experience in my situation... Summer makes it too hot and winter is too dry to let it hang 4 days. At 4 days I miss the curing humidity, 60% - 65%.

Yes I am really liking my Tupperware set up. You still need to burp it or open it for 30 minutes or so each day like you would in jars. I use 2 pieces of wax paper under the lid to try and give it a better seal. I can get a good read on the humidity and start slowly lowering it. This time I put one layer of buds on stems at the bottom and placed a paper bag (I cut the paper bag down to a single layer) on top and then put another layer of buds on stems. So buds/paper layer/buds. I am thinking a cardboard box may work like this also.

so it does quite a bit of the dry in the Rubbermaid?

Basically a week in the Rubbermaid container. You could think of it as a big jar :) But you can keep the buds on the stems longer and I think get a better cure. Then optimally when the humidity is 65%-68% you would cut the buds off into jars and then just burp it once or twice a day for another week or so. Once the humidity level gets below 60% the cure is done and you can store it.

you said it has a stronger taste, do you mean harsher or just more of a presence

I mean more presence. It is not harsh at all. It just leaves more of an after taste. My wife calls it a "good weed taste" meaning its premium. I don't smoke much so most the time I just taste smoke after a drag. But this time I was pulling my tongue off the roof of my mouth trying to figure out the after taste.

did it do well enough that you want to keep it around?

Yes. I have one ICE mother and one AI mother plant. I want to grow it again and see if I can do a better job this time. Also I really like the smell of the AI and the different taste. Lastly, I want to give it a couple weeks and see if my wife is asking for the ICE or the AI more often. That's where the rubber meets the road...

:peacetwo:

When drying, does your hygrometer tell you the moisture content of the buds, or do you just accept that reading of the room for 65%-68% is what applies? I bet the hygrometer works great in the tupperware though.

When drying, does your hygrometer tell you the moisture content of the buds, or do you just accept that reading of the room for 65%-68% is what applies? I bet the hygrometer works great in the tupperware though.

It tells you the humidity of the space. So it won't work in a large room. But in a small container or jar it works great. For example the room humidity while drying was 31% and the humidity in the container was 78%.

My wife didn't keep tract of the humidity like I wanted and now the jar humidity is 43%.

P1000830.JPG

One placed in the jar
P10100716.JPG

I have found that when the container humidity is 70%+ it is very easy to have it drop too low. For example I will say to myself "I should be able to leave it open for 30 minutes to 60 minutes when it is 75% humidity" and then it drops supper fast and I miss the zone, 60% to 65% humidity. I have to get better at just burping it.

I use this general guide. The only problem with the guide is it doesn't take into account the outside/room humidity which will slow or speed up drying.

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.
65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.
60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing
55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet.

Hope that helps

It tells you the humidity of the space. So it won't work in a large room. But in a small container or jar it works great. For example the room humidity while drying was 31% and the humidity in the container was 78%.

My wife didn't keep tract of the humidity like I wanted and now the jar humidity is 43%.

P1000830.JPG

One placed in the jar
P10100716.JPG

I have found that when the container humidity is 70%+ it is very easy to have it drop too low. For example I will say to myself "I should be able to leave it open for 30 minutes to 60 minutes when it is 75% humidity" and then it drops supper fast and I miss the zone, 60% to 65% humidity. I have to get better at just burping it.

I use this general guide. The only problem with the guide is it doesn't take into account the outside/room humidity which will slow or speed up drying.

Hope that helps

It will help tremendously when I actually get me a harvest. I'm just over a week into flower from seed so we'll see but I think it looks positive right now. Hey, were did you find those little thermometers? I need something like that b/c my 2 meters (each at canopy height) lie to me. My digi reads out sometimes as high as 91º, but then I open the door and it feels like a mild spring day with a cool breeze circulating under the canopy. I have 2 containers of water with a shirt being hung into each to add RH back to the room, but I think in this process, it somehow is cooling the air as well, but end result is my meters lying to me. If I had a few of the ones you have, I could mount them at maybe 3" of separation do identify where the hot zone ends from my HPS.

I'm gonna copy your schedule b/c curing is something that makes sense to me and I want to try it out for my first harvest. Even gonna try out some bud washing too.

I bought 2 of these "HygroSet II Round Digital Hygrometer for Humidor" with a 75% "Humidi-Pak One-Step Hygrometer Calibration Kit". I don't think the site I bought from is a sponsor so just web-search it and you should find them. After I got one set I just adjusted the second one to the calibrated one. These cost about twice as much as a cheap one you can get at a retail store.

The funny thing was that my cheap hygrometers where only off about 1%. But my cheap ones are to big to fit into a jar so that's why I bought these.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Looks like this ones done and done well lookin forward to the next one:peace::goodjob::high-five::passitleft::tokin:

Currently have 5 Aurora Indica about 2 weeks out from seed. Not doing a journal for these. Just going to hang back and peruse other peoples journals :)

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to stop by and tell you what a good job you have done!!!
(plus I needed to know how does the AI look at harvest, will be harvesting a couple buds soon)

Back
Top Bottom