Welcome to Schloss Von Blurple

Canadian Legal Grow

Lighting - Mars Hydro TSW 2000 and some Chinese 110 watt at the wall full spectrum
Enviro - Mars Hydro 36 x 36 x 72 Tent
Medium - Soil (for now)
Nutes - Megacrop
Ventilation - ac Infinity 6 inch

20190922_175825.jpg

This will be a ongoing perpetual journal.
I will begin this journal with the following 3 plants and the story behind them as we jump in midway here.

This is a clone given to me from someone who popped a bagseed and got a female out of it. No idea what it is other than the fact its bagseed. Its about 5 weeks old and has been growing slowly. Its former method of nutrients was Miracle Gro 10-20-10 every other water.
20190922_083842.jpg

Next we have a regular bagseed I popped for shits and giggles. Its just a regular seed and not fem'd. It too has been growing slow and was fed the same Miracle Gro every other water. Its over a month old too. Notice the nodes of 3 leafers.
20190922_083854.jpg

And finally we have Trainwreck which was given to me by the same donator of the bagseed clone above. It was popped from a fem'd seed. I received this plant in bad shape and have had it for 8+ weeks and I just cannot nurse this thing back to health. I have flushed it 2 times. Also I have used my homemade CalMag+ from Emilya's recipes. It has given me a run for the money and I am about ready to give up on it. Like the others it was fed every other water with Miracle Gro. Its never put out a non clawed leaf for me yet. Its clearly locked out. One might point the finger in the direction of my ph pen calibration technique....please chime in.
20190922_083902.jpg

I have been using baking soda and water to calibrate my ph pen. I am using this mixture as a 7.9 reference number to calibrate to. My tap water is currently in the 7.9 -8.1 range. I have been using vinegar to bring down the ph watering to 6.0. But, just how reliable is my baking soda and tap water control?

I have just received a delivery of Mega Crop and have given all these plants their first watering with slightly over 2 gallon watering can (2.38 gallons) and 1 Tablespoon of Mega Crop. Probably a little high to start off with, but lets observe what happens from here.

Let me add that I have just come home from a 12 day vacation and with the exception of the Trainwreck (its always been bad) this is the shape of how my son cared for them while I coached him from 8000 kms away. I ph and mollases watered them before I left and they have not been watered the entire time I was gone. The bottom of all the pots had more than decent water in them but the top was bone dry. Id guess my roots are not happy. So this is day 1 of the Mega Crop watering.

I currently have my light dimmed down all the way it can go and have it at about 14 inches from the plants. Using the Android app Light meter I am reading around 40k lumens at the top of Trainwreck, 32k lumens at the top of the bagseed clone, and finally 22k lumens at the top of the regular bagseed.

Come, enjoy your time with me at Schloss Von Blurple!

Glad to see you started a journal BV!
I have been using baking soda and water to calibrate my ph pen. I am using this mixture as a 7.9 reference number to calibrate to. My tap water is currently in the 7.9 -8.1 range. I have been using vinegar to bring down the ph watering to 6.0. But, just how reliable is my baking soda and tap water control?
Baking soda is a little aggressive on the probe tips. We all work within a budget, but I do recommend to purchase some cheap buffer solutions at both ends of the scale. As mentioned above you want to cal the high and low ends of the meter.

I have just received a delivery of Mega Crop and have given all these plants their first watering with slightly over 2 gallon watering can (2.38 gallons) and 1 Tablespoon of Mega Crop. Probably a little high to start off with, but lets observe what happens from here.
Again, we try and work within budgets, but a small digital portable .1 gram scale will work better for you than tablespoons when it comes to measuring Megacrop. We work with what we have but those are two reasonably low priced items that will fair well for you.

I say this because you mentioned you added one tablespoon of Megacrop, which works out to 15mL. Each teaspoon weighs 6g. You have used 18 grams of Megacrop in 2.38 gal of water. You have blown their calculator out of the water as they dont go that high. The max, even at late flower to harvest, would be 14.28g.
Having said that, plants want to be in a N load range of 90-150ppm. If too high you risk burning the plant. Too low and it will show N def. With the amount of MC you have added it works out to 230ppm on N. So, if I was to guess, your plants may not like the amount you have given them. I strongly suggest 5g over 2.38 gal until you see how they react.
:goodluck:

If one goes by greenleafs site..true, a teaspoon equals 6 grams. However, I intend to copy Farsides techniques, with medium and feeding. He has stated for him a teaspoon equals 4 grams. When I get 4 beans that are fem'd and I get ready for my "real grow" I will be using his faux mix as well which will hopefully give me the leeway in ph"ing water and I can throw the pen away. Until then, I'm sort of just dabbling here. My goal is to make it as simple as possible with water/nutes...hence the Mega Crop.

But there is no doubt that the feeding was high as you stated. I will heed your advice on 5 grams for the next water....maybe even less.

Can I still safely assume that baking soda and water is 7.9? Or is that bunk?

Can I still safely assume that baking soda and water is 7.9? Or is that bunk?
Honestly that i do not know. I did a quick search and found this:
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a base. This means that when people dissolve baking soda in water, it forms an alkaline solution. For example, a 0.1 molar solution of baking soda has a pH of around 8.3

Honestly that i do not know. I did a quick search and found this:
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a base. This means that when people dissolve baking soda in water, it forms an alkaline solution. For example, a 0.1 molar solution of baking soda has a pH of around 8.3

Here's what's up at Das Schloss

No watering.
20190925_135041.jpg

Good 3 days for this reg bagseed. Noticable jump in growth.

20190925_135103.jpg

A little greening up here with the help of Miracle gro foilar application. This plant will be the focus of my grow. I hope she can be a tent filler.

20190925_135113.jpg

One of this fishes little flippers is under developed. Almost a Tri line, but Im trying to stretch that fourth one.

20190925_135159.jpg

And Trainwreck....no change. Wetter than her tent mates. Im thinking of changing into Faux mix on this. By the weekend methinks, which means I have to start mixing peat. I just think I should stop wasting my time on this one.

Fruit flies are becoming numerous. Should I have any concerns?

I'm not sure. I'd be 100% sure first though that they are fruit flies and not fungus gnats. They look similar.

How to spot a Fungus Gnat:

• Dark gray/black color
  • Eyes are not visible
  • Long with dangly legs (a bit like a mosquito)
  • White spots (larvae) in the soil
How to spot a Fruit Fly:

• Brown/yellow color
  • Big red eyes
  • Fatter (a bit like a house fly)
  • Swarm around rotting fruit

Hmmm...neither I would say.

• Black/Grey
  • Very small...too small to see eyes, definately no red.
  • Like a miniature house fly.
  • Dumb as shit...they dont move when you squish them.
  • Silvery wing sheen.

Pretty sure they were from the compost bin.

OK. In case it's fungus gnats they love to target cannabis at the bottom of your plants where it is nice and warm. The perfect environment for them to lay their eggs – and this can be a whopping hundred eggs per week. Their presence will seriously damage your root system which is the life-blood of the whole plant, so if left untreated this can go onto effect the growth of your plants, and they may even perish completely.

Preventing fungus gnats from targeting your plants is easier indoors than outdoors as you have more control over certain conditions. If you are an indoor grower make sure you don’t water your plants too often – always check the soil is dry before you water again as a very moist soil is what the fungus gnats love. When growing outdoors there is less that you can do, but one option is to sterilize your soil prior to use so that any eggs are removed.

Next time you water watch the water as it gets sucked into the soil. If you see little guys flopping around it's most likely the larvae.
Check under the leaves as well for eggs. It could be a different type of gnat. If you can get a pic it may help. Could it also be thrips?

OK. In case it's fungus gnats they love to target cannabis at the bottom of your plants where it is nice and warm. The perfect environment for them to lay their eggs – and this can be a whopping hundred eggs per week. Their presence will seriously damage your root system which is the life-blood of the whole plant, so if left untreated this can go onto effect the growth of your plants, and they may even perish completely.

Preventing fungus gnats from targeting your plants is easier indoors than outdoors as you have more control over certain conditions. If you are an indoor grower make sure you don’t water your plants too often – always check the soil is dry before you water again as a very moist soil is what the fungus gnats love. When growing outdoors there is less that you can do, but one option is to sterilize your soil prior to use so that any eggs are removed.

Next time you water watch the water as it gets sucked into the soil. If you see little guys flopping around it's most likely the larvae.
Check under the leaves as well for eggs. It could be a different type of gnat. If you can get a pic it may help. Could it also be thrips?

Great info....thanks Saug.

Unwanted Guests in Das Schloss

Sorry for the tremble hand.

20190927_134812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom